Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guild Challenge >

Guild Challenge

Guild Challenge

Old 01-16-2017, 12:12 AM

Default Guild Challenge

Our guild is taking suggestions for this year's challenge. I'm a new member (2 years) and by November's meeting, the quilt must be finished for it to take part of the judging for the Viewer's Choice Award (quilted & bound). Last year's challenge was to use a panel, the year before that it was a scavenger hunt on a quilt. They've done a star challenge, a scrappy look, a black and white quilt, and a single-shape no repeating fabric quilt. I'd really appreciate some feedback as our meeting is Tuesday and I'd love to present a winner! Thank you
Old 01-16-2017, 12:54 AM

how about a sun bonnet Sue where every member dresses her different. choose a theme like her doing chores, or traveling to different countries, or going to a prom, or celebrating holidays etc
Old 01-16-2017, 01:25 AM

Here are some of my group's past challenges:

Ugly Fabric Challenge - we picked a bolt of the ugliest fabric we could find. Picking out fabric was a challenge in itself, since we have such a wide variety of tastes and preferences in my group! But we finally found one that NONE of us liked. The only rules for the challenge were you couldn't cut it up so small that it was unrecognizable; the quilt was to have a perimeter of at least 48" and no more than 250"; and it had to be finished, i.e. quilted and bound. The goal was to force us out of our comfort zones. We had some awesome, awesome quilts that year, and not a single one was like any other! A very successful challenge. You can actually see the "ugly" fabric we used here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...c-t278770.html

Paint Chip Challenge - put several paint chips in a paper bag and each person draws one chip. Whatever color you pulled out of the bag was the color of fabric you had to work with, plus one other fabric of your choice. I got lucky - I drew a paint chip called "tobacco", which was a soft grayish-beige. At first I thought it was horrid, but then I realized it was a blessing because it was so neutral. And then I got smart with my secondary fabric, I paired it with a lovely purple ombre that went from dark purple to pale lavender.

Shape Challenge - We made a list of 8 shapes - circle, square, rectangle, triangle, oval, hexagon, octagon, diamond. You had to use 3 of these shapes in the quilt, the shapes had to be identifiable. I appliqued squares onto the background in a circle, like numbers on a clock. Then I quilted triangles all over it. That one was a lot of fun, too!

Last edited by Peckish; 01-16-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Make a quilt or wallhanging from orphan blocks. Take a traditional quilt pattern and make it modern.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:12 AM

Shape Challenge - We made a list of 8 shapes - circle, square, rectangle, triangle, oval, hexagon, octagon, diamond. You had to use 3 of these shapes in the quilt, the shapes had to be identifiable. I appliqued squares onto the background in a circle, like numbers on a clock. Then I quilted triangles all over it. That one was a lot of fun, too![/QUOTE]

I'd love to see a picture!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:38 AM

Our guild had a challenge you might enjoy! They went and got paint chips - from the store - the ones that had several colors on each chip. The chips are placed in an envelope (2 copies of same chip) then passed out among the members. They are to then take one chip out without showing it to anybody else. The other chip stays in the envelope - seal the envelope and place your name on the outside of the envelope and turn them in. The challenge is to make something using the colors on your chip! You must match at least 3 colors on the chip and can only have 2 neutrals to go with!

We enjoyed it so much I went to my sisters quilt guild meeting and set them up for the same challenge! They loved it.

Hope this helps
Old 01-16-2017, 09:50 AM

Your favorite color (70% of fabrics must be that color) -- On arrival at a meeting, each person was asked her favorite color, without being told why. Then the challenge was limited to the recorded color, so you couldn't switch to something else that was one color.
President's favorite color -- my sister's guild president presented the challenge "something green". (I won, plus got third place in viewers' choice!)
Initials -- three fabrics only, the colors of which start with your initials. I have done this one twice, with different colors.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

My guild picks a theme each year. Last year it was Gone with the Wind, this year the theme is Raining Cats and Dogs. The theme can be a movie, a book or a phrase. Everyone interprets it in their own way. I am suggesting for next year the theme be Rocking and Rolling.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:06 AM

Such creative ideas! Please keep them coming, I'm compiling a list!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:55 AM

Whole cloth quilt.

Dimension was "about 40inches square".
Design could be ANYTHING, just NO PIECING!!

Contrasting (or not) thread was OK.
Fabric painting was OK.
Thread painting was OK.

Just, NO PIECING!!

We ended up with some spectacular quilts and amazing sources of inspiration.