Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guild Workshop >

Guild Workshop

Guild Workshop

Old 06-08-2012, 07:46 AM

Default Guild Workshop

I am teaching more and more workshops these days, and now need to come up with a more exact pricing, but I don't want to be unreasonable, so....for those of you that teach quilting workshops, can you please share with me how you decide what to charge for an all day workshop? (say from 9am-4pm) Thanks!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:57 AM

Perhaps you would get more help if your heading said something like "need help pricing workshops". I opened this because I thought I was going to learn if Guild Workshops might be of interest to me --- I am so not your audience. You need other pros and artists like yourself. Good Luck!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:15 AM

How much is your time worth per hour, considering your skill/talent/experience, etc? Let's say you decide $10 (I'm just using that because it's a nice round number and will make the math easier LOL). The workshop itself is 7 hours. But you can't just charge $70.

You also have to consider how many hours of prep goes into a workshop - making the sample, preparing step-by-step demo pieces, writing and printing any handouts, etc. Do you have costs involved in promoting the workshop, special supplies, renting a venue? What about travel time and gas costs to and from the workshop?

Assuming you are doing this as a business and are self-employed, now you need to add in an amount for self-employment taxes and other overhead. All things the casual observer doesn't think about - "Oh, Susie charges $200 for a 7 hour workshop - that's over $28 per hour - wish I made that kind of money!" I usually figure I'm actually earning only about 1/3 of whatever the hourly rate is - so now we're down to about $9/hour. (Just like the plumber doesn't take home the $60/hour he charges to fix your toilet - a lot of it goes to overhead for the business.)

You can also look online on what other teachers are charging, but keep in mind the 'famous' ones or ones teaching their own patterns/techniques can charge quite a bit more.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by AndiR View Post
How much is your time worth per hour, considering your skill/talent/experience, etc? Let's say you decide $10 (I'm just using that because it's a nice round number and will make the math easier LOL). The workshop itself is 7 hours. But you can't just charge $70.

You also have to consider how many hours of prep goes into a workshop - making the sample, preparing step-by-step demo pieces, writing and printing any handouts, etc. Do you have costs involved in promoting the workshop, special supplies, renting a venue? What about travel time and gas costs to and from the workshop?

Assuming you are doing this as a business and are self-employed, now you need to add in an amount for self-employment taxes and other overhead. All things the casual observer doesn't think about - "Oh, Susie charges $200 for a 7 hour workshop - that's over $28 per hour - wish I made that kind of money!" I usually figure I'm actually earning only about 1/3 of whatever the hourly rate is - so now we're down to about $9/hour. (Just like the plumber doesn't take home the $60/hour he charges to fix your toilet - a lot of it goes to overhead for the business.)

You can also look online on what other teachers are charging, but keep in mind the 'famous' ones or ones teaching their own patterns/techniques can charge quite a bit more.
Thanks, Andi.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:30 AM

My LQS usually charges $20-$30 for a 3 hour workshop. She has a lot of participants. If you charge too much, a lot of people may not be able to afford it.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 AM

Some teachers/instructors also charge per student, per day.