Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what pattern to use >

what pattern to use

what pattern to use

Old 06-03-2012, 05:45 AM

Default what pattern to use

I have received over 30 blocks. They are different block patterns and all are done in white, black and green. There are 2 different black fabrics used but the white and green is the same fabric throughout.
The blocks vary in size from 11.5 "to 12.5 " square.

I would like ideas on how to arrange these into a quilt.

Thank you.

Last edited by ranger; 06-03-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:54 AM

Wanted to add......although blocks were intended to be square, many are off. Some blocks have HSTs or Flying Geese (on the outside edges) that lost the points when trimmed. Not sure what I can do about that.

I was wondering if I should add a frame around each block and then square all blocks to the same size. How do you think it would look?
Old 06-03-2012, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

I always set exchange blocks "wonky". No matter how carefully people do them, you always have some that are different sizes. Some people can piece small other blocks to go with them amd end up with a fantastic design but not me. Others add a frame around each block and then trim the blocks to all measure the same. I set mine in 3 inch strips all around the blocks and then place my large square over the block at a wonky angle and cut the square. I then have slightly twisted blocks and you can't really see the different sizes. Someone on QB went a step further and made the wonky strips make a cool secondary design but I can't remember who. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

I would recommend Sharyn Craig's book: Setting Solutions.
http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Soluti...8733317&sr=8-1
the situation you discribe with the sizes of your exchange blocks is one of the many that this book addresses. She provised great solutions to set all quilt blocks, whether they are all the same size or not.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:04 AM

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply and giving me suggestions.

Tartan
...I hadn't thought about making them wonky. That's an interesting idea.

PaperPrincess....thanks for the link to the book.
I looked at some of the pages shown. I would like to own the book but that's not possible right now. I will check the library for it.
I did get one idea from the pages I read. I can do the blocks in a floating block way. I am going to experiment with one of the blocks that have FG units.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:14 AM
KR

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I always set exchange blocks "wonky". No matter how carefully people do them, you always have some that are different sizes. Some people can piece small other blocks to go with them amd end up with a fantastic design but not me. Others add a frame around each block and then trim the blocks to all measure the same. I set mine in 3 inch strips all around the blocks and then place my large square over the block at a wonky angle and cut the square. I then have slightly twisted blocks and you can't really see the different sizes. Someone on QB went a step further and made the wonky strips make a cool secondary design but I can't remember who. Good luck.
Terrific idea!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by ranger View Post
Wanted to add......although blocks were intended to be square, many are off. Some blocks have HSTs or Flying Geese (on the outside edges) that lost the points when trimmed. Not sure what I can do about that.

I was wondering if I should add a frame around each block and then square all blocks to the same size. How do you think it would look?

perhaps find a slightly varigated black or black and gray batik to use for framing around them all to even them out. The different color values in the black tonal may help to take the focus off the two different blacks.

Then, also do something to keep the two colors of black evenly distributed. Divide them in 4 sets and do all #1 blacks in the corners. Do every other block with #1, set the #1s in a diamond fashion.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:16 AM

Thank you Grannie Annie.
About using the black tonal for framing.....that's a great tip