Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gutermann thread >

Gutermann thread

Gutermann thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:09 PM

Default Gutermann thread

I am putting this out in the public domain now because I contacted the company direct and I had a response from them as to when it would be a good time to contact me. I gave them my phone no and a day - which I was home all day - for them to ring. It is nearly over a week since that day and no response either on the phone or a follow up email. Not very happy with the poor customer service.

Does anyone else here use Gutermann thread and how have you found it recently. The reason I ask is I have used it for many many years and never had a problem. I bought a 1000 metre white spool around Christmas time and when I was putting it on the machine I thought to myself that it felt and looked very "thin". I picked up an older spool and it looked and felt different.

I started sewing with it - doing satin stitch and it kept constantly breaking and several times I found that it was shredding. Stopped to put in a new needle, re-thread the machine and bobbin only to find the same thing happening again.

I changed from that spool to an older one and no problem.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else is having such a problem or did I just get a "bad one".
Old 01-26-2015, 05:15 PM

Haven't bought any Guterman lately - most of what I have was stuff my mother had in her thread supply. Hopefully someone can figure out what the problem is and maybe the manufacturer will get back to you.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:07 PM

I use Gutermann but have not bought any new thread in the past few months. I will watch the next time I buy/use any. I can certainly understand why you would be frustrated!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:12 PM

I just bought a big cone of Guterman (cream colored), and it's fine. Do you still have your receipt? Maybe you could take it back to where you got it and compare to see if they're all like that, and maybe get your money back.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:41 PM

I have purchased several large cones (3,000+ yards each) and they are the same great quality as in the past. I agree you should take it back to where you purchased it. That would be very frustrating.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:15 PM

I'm glad to hear some good reports because I ordered 5 large cones when they were on sale and haven't opened them yet!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:28 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

See if there is a country of origin on the spool anywhere. I know about a dozen years ago there was a problem with Guterman thread that was at that point being made in Mexico; many shops quit carrying it. I thought that had been taken care of but perhaps I was wrong; or you have one of the older spools from that time.

Jan in VA
Old 01-27-2015, 12:29 AM

I re emailed Gutermann again and I had a phone call about an hour ago full of apology saying that there was another similar case and my emailed had slipped under the radar. That was an interesting statement in itself.......not just my imagination.

Upshot is - they are going to replace the spool and I am to spend back the faulty one for inspection. I did ask that they let me know the result of why when they inspect the returned spool.

I will keep you posted.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:31 AM

Good to hear they finally got back to you with a satisfactory resolution. Here's hoping that they actually DO let you know the results of their inspection.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:29 AM

so glad you posted this info. I had the same problem 2 days ago with a brand new spool of coats and clark all purpose.

it kept shredding, changed to another older spool of a different brand and it works fine. I have other spools of coats and haven't had problems. I was not machine embroidering, just doing 1/4 inch straight seams.
I don't know where I purchased it.