Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gutterman's Hand Quilting Thread??? >

Gutterman's Hand Quilting Thread???

Gutterman's Hand Quilting Thread???

Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Banned

i always coat the thread (rather fun it over) bees wax or the Thread Heaven before hand quilting. regardless of what the label says. Helps reduce tangling on all of the threads.
Also use it when doing hand work such as bindings and applique. You can use any thread for hand quilting. Just respect the nature of the thread and act accordingly.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Cyn

I agree too. My husband took one of our quilts to Iraq for 13 months and it came back just fine. I suggested he leave it out there for someone else or just toss it (germs- you know) but he said he became very attached to it & still has it. With the heat, dirt, sand, washing and other abuse, it still looks just fine! I did machine quilt it and used browns.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cyn
I agree too. My husband took one of our quilts to Iraq for 13 months and it came back just fine. I suggested he leave it out there for someone else or just toss it (germs- you know) but he said he became very attached to it & still has it. With the heat, dirt, sand, washing and other abuse, it still looks just fine! I did machine quilt it and used browns.
Cyn, that sure wipes out what I've heard about heat affecting thread. Thanks for letting me know that.
I think it's wonderful that your husb. loved your quilt. I'm sure he felt your arms around him when he used it.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Cyn

Thanks for the kind words! He sent pics of him standing next to a thermometer that read 140 degrees. Now that's hot! I have 5 cats, 2 dogs and 3 girls that lounge all over the place so quilts are washed pretty regular also. No problems here so far.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cyn
Thanks for the kind words! He sent pics of him standing next to a thermometer that read 140 degrees. Now that's hot! I have 5 cats, 2 dogs and 3 girls that lounge all over the place so quilts are washed pretty regular also. No problems here so far.
Boy that is beyond hot. I stayed in Ariz. longer than usual last yr. It was into June & the temp was 116. I thought I would die. I had to take a towel with me to get into the car. Used it on the door handle & the steering wheel til the AC could cool things down. Also used a towel on the leather seats.
I accidentally stepped onto a sidewalk with barefeet & it was almost too hot to jump off. Toasty toes. Won't do that again.
I make a point of leaving earlier than that now.

I'm so glad your husb. returned safely.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 AM

When I was earning my bread and butter sewing, this was all I ever used...bought it by the box from the wholesalers. I am almost out of a couple of neutral colours, and I KNOW it is going to kill me to have to pay non-wholesale price!! LOL I do use it for quilting and like it lots.

Patti
Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Cyn

Originally Posted by Pat G
Originally Posted by Cyn
Boy that is beyond hot. I stayed in Ariz. longer than usual last yr. It was into June & the temp was 116. I thought I would die. I had to take a towel with me to get into the car. Used it on the door handle & the steering wheel til the AC could cool things down. Also used a towel on the leather seats.
I accidentally stepped onto a sidewalk with barefeet & it was almost too hot to jump off. Toasty toes. Won't do that again.
I make a point of leaving earlier than that now.

I'm so glad your husb. returned safely.
Not sure I'm doing this right but anything above 90 is too hot for me. Thanks, I'm loving having him home!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:39 PM

I am using up my regular C and C with my Featherweight. It doesn't seem to bother that machine at all and I do check for lint.

But I will give the Gutterman a try with the hand quilting thread.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Dee

Good thread. Does anyone know how to get thread heaven to soften up. Mine got hard to use.???
Old 08-16-2010, 09:23 PM

I also handquilt & just love this thread! I started out yrs ago using C&C thread. Finally tried this brand & I just love it. I hope you will try it.