Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had house fire last year. Remember me? >

Had house fire last year. Remember me?

Had house fire last year. Remember me?

Old 02-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

I would let Hamilton Beach know about what happened. you should be able to get some compensation. Check to see if there is a recall on the iron.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for the warning.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:37 PM

Was it the same brand of iron to?
So glad you were aware and nothing bad happened.
Cindy
Old 02-02-2014, 05:41 PM

wow! I got goosebumps reading that!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM

WOW! yes, i remember you! Twinkie was such a sweetie in gathering things up for you! i sent you things and you sent me the most beautiful little thank you card. what the HECK with the iron! for heavens sake! thank goodness you were on top of it but so sorry about the burnt fabric! you, young lady, are full of angels watching out over you!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM

and i just got up and unplugged my iron!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:00 PM

Its not just irons, many appliances are fire hazards and you don't even realize. I just read that dish washers are up pretty high for starting fire. It was pretty scary what can cause house fires
Old 02-02-2014, 06:05 PM

I unplug my iron. Thank goodness my iron flashes and I see it when I turn out the light. It helps me when it slips my mind and I go back and unplug it.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:14 PM

We had a house fire several years ago. Previous owner had installed a hot tub in the back yard, with a separate fuse box for it attached to the back of the house. Husband had just taken our new puppy out for a potty-training break. A bug crawled into the fuse box (which, as it turned out, had recalled parts in it - how could we possibly have known?!?!) and it exploded, arcing electricity and flames up to the roof. I've never seen my husband run so fast. He came flying into the house and out to the garage, yelling at me to call 911, then raced back out to the yard with a fire extinguisher. My grandfather was a fireman, so I have several fire extinguishers located throughout our home. My husband had the fire out by the time the fire department got here. They sent heat-sensing equipment up into the attic to make sure it was completely extinguished. One of the firemen told us if we hadn't had that extinguisher, we would have, at the very least, lost the entire back side of our house. The fire had gone through the fuse box, through the aluminum siding, and into the insulation in the house before my husband was able to extinguish it.

We were very lucky - my husband was standing 10 feet away from the box when it happened, and we had a fire extinguisher on hand. I shudder to think what could have happened if the planets had not aligned...

Smoke detectors are a necessity, but I think fire extinguishers are a necessity also.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
We had a house fire several years ago. Previous owner had installed a hot tub in the back yard, with a separate fuse box for it attached to the back of the house. Husband had just taken our new puppy out for a potty-training break. A bug crawled into the fuse box (which, as it turned out, had recalled parts in it - how could we possibly have known?!?!) and it exploded, arcing electricity and flames up to the roof. I've never seen my husband run so fast. He came flying into the house and out to the garage, yelling at me to call 911, then raced back out to the yard with a fire extinguisher. My grandfather was a fireman, so I have several fire extinguishers located throughout our home. My husband had the fire out by the time the fire department got here. They sent heat-sensing equipment up into the attic to make sure it was completely extinguished. One of the firemen told us if we hadn't had that extinguisher, we would have, at the very least, lost the entire back side of our house. The fire had gone through the fuse box, through the aluminum siding, and into the insulation in the house before my husband was able to extinguish it.

We were very lucky - my husband was standing 10 feet away from the box when it happened, and we had a fire extinguisher on hand. I shudder to think what could have happened if the planets had not aligned...

Smoke detectors are a necessity, but I think fire extinguishers are a necessity also.
Life is really a challenge, isn't it? Not to mention....poor bug! Sorry...have to have humor.