Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Had my first experience with the "Quilt Police"

I wouldn't give my money to such an insulting person. When they are working, they should only give advice if asked.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I don't think she was acting uppity or know-it-all in the least. Nowhere in your description of the events do I see any indication of this person being the bigoted, belittling, uppity, insulting, know-it-all sourpuss that some responders have called her. Cut her some slack. She was clearly interested in what you were doing by asking about the techniques you were using and it seems to me she was trying to learn from you and help you at the same time, you being a new quilter and all.

As for apparantly not knowing Sharon Schamber's name or reputation, I certainly wouldn't hold that up as a measure of the knowledge or quality of anyone's quilting. She has her way of doing things, and she certainly knows how to market them, so if they work for you, fine, but there's no need to be a snob about it. There are lots of excellent ways to get the same results in quilting.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

wow...sorry you had to endure that snootyness. You definitely took the higher road...good for you!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I get really tired of people yelling "quilt police" every time someone suggests that the THEY might be doing something unconventional.
    Quilting "today" is NOT what it was 5 years ago..not even 10 years ago..or 100....just because someone says they don't know Sharon Schamber, does not make them any more ignorant than perhaps you not knowing who Danetta Burnett was to the quilting world! Heck, I had never seen, nor heard of Alex Anderson until the day I sold her fabric in the shop I was working in!

Using glue on your quilt is fine for someone who understands WHY it is used...most people just see it as a quick, cheap fix to a problem they have not learned how to really deal with! Same with spray basting, zig-zag binding, and even fusible applique that never gets sewn down.

Sure we all might have our own special way of getting from point A to point B, but just because someone does not like the way you do it, or says they would do it differently does not make them the POLICE at all...
    when a person is paid to JUDGE, that is what they do, they are not the POLICE...

I used to hate when the OLD ladies at quilt guild shuddered at how my borders waved, or my stitches were too big in my hand quilting...until one day I realized...that by taking the time to read, watch, learn, I too could do a better job with my time, money, hands...

Granted not all criticism is creative, or well tongued, but if you stop, listen and learn, you will find that when you do want to make that show piece or family heirloom quilt, their advise will often pop back into your head and you will find yourself wanting to learn to do things differently! Albeit your own, or by watching/learning from Sharon Schamber!

I have only used the "glue" method on applique flowers for my new Step Granddaughter's quilt to see how it works and it worked great! I might try your method on my next quit cause I am planning on doing a QAYG. I put my Elmer's glue in a printer ink refill bottle. Best use for those pain in the assets! Only quilt police I have around here are my 3 cats and they only check on the comfort level. LOL

You handled it exactly right...I, however, am not as disciplined as you so therefore, would've ended up causing a great disturbance...did I mention I can't stand for someone who doesn't know what I know, doesn't do what I do, to try to tell me what to do (and how to do it??)? Sigh...guess there's a reason I'm a solitary quilter...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I personally think that the old meanie might learn something from your little talk. LOL! Sheesh... !! That glue washes out the first time you wash it. What is the big deal? I perosnally don't use it, but I would if I had one of those neat needle pin sized dispensers.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    I won't back down from my opinion of quilt shop business owner/rep not getting my money if they have no clue to the top National quilt show winners from the last few years.
    Got fabric?

I'm sitting here giggling about some of the stuff I've done in the name of supreme ignorance that would make that lady's head explode. Some worked, some didn't. Lessons learned.

Different strokes and all that jazz.

Blog Entries
    Not everyone knows of all the "master quilters" and shows and "experts" that are out there. Even working in a LQS does not mean that you would know of this. I think you had an opportunity to educate and encourage someone to learn. I don't see the "quilt police" in this person; I see someone who was not exposed to information that you had. It was very kind of you to share with her your knowledge and perhaps this will afford her more personal growth.
    Desiderata (Max Ehrmann) - Walk placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

Blog Entries
    A Sharon Shamber u-tube video was excellent for me when learing to do my binding; also my first quilt. When I showed my finished quilt to one of my quilting friends (who was a great inspration to me), one of her first comments was about the wondeful binding I had done. She too thought any method Sharon Shamber would use was great advice to follow.
    Mavis

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you handled her rather well - good for you!
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    Good for you! You were assertive without being aggressive! You were polite not snotty! That is great because she heard you without vein defensive! I like sharons techniques!! I glue baste sometimes and I use her board method for sandwiching! Yay!!!

Doesn't seem like she is the right type of person for a quilt shop employee.

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry, I just don't see it. If you felt she was criticizing you, I'm sorry you felt like you were in that position.

But, I now cringe when see the words Quilt Police thrown about...seriously? I don't think the situation was that at all, and I feel a bit bad for her now seeing what everyone is writing about her. This woman we don't know, who didn't say anything terrible, in my opinion.

There are no quilt police, there are people who's opinions differ then ours, that's all. and you know what? I haven't a clue who this Sharon Schamber person is, never heard of her.

You know, this post could have gone a totally different way. "Hey, I got to teach a quilt store employee something new today! She never heard of.......method or Sharon Schamber!" How cool would that be.

anyway, that's just my two cents. Again, I'm sorry if you felt you were put in a position where she was critical of your method.
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtgirl View Post
    Moderately off topic, but where do you find the glue with the metal tip...I've looked a couple places and couldn't find it.
    Have you tried art supply stores? I think someone mentioned finding them at Michael's, also. I got mine directly from Sharon Schamber at a quilt show, and she used to have them on her website, but I think she's been out of stock for a while.

She's what I call a Quilting Snob. We have a couple of them in quilting shops in the Phoenix area. I choose not to trade in their shops. Luckily we have lots of quilting shops here.
    Jan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2