Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had someone want me to give an estimate on a quilt >

Had someone want me to give an estimate on a quilt

Had someone want me to give an estimate on a quilt

Old 12-15-2010, 04:43 AM

On the flip side, the pastor's wife at my church is very well known for her hand quilting skills - she does incredible work. We were at quilting group one day when she told us about a phone call she got from a young man that had a quilt top his grandmother made, and since it was hand pieced, he and his siblings wanted to get it hand quilted (I suppose grandmother is no longer around).

Now, Ann is a very pragmatic lady and would NEVER underbid her work; she knows exactly how good she is (without be arrogant), and she knows how much the work is worth. She informed the young man that he didn't want to know what that type of project would cost him. Young man asked for a ballpark figure, Ann gave it to him, and he just said, "Okay, can I bring it to you after the holidays?" She's going to start work on it in February, she said.

Now why can't there be more people like THAT in the world?
Old 12-15-2010, 04:52 AM

I experience this all the time and as a quilter you might as well accept and develop a plan for dealing with it. What I do is break it all down on paper. Each step - pattern, size, number of yards of fabric, cost per yard etc. You may have to guess at the number of hours you need to piece each block but then show the hours times blocks, cutting etc. Put in a line item for the batting, show the quilting as if you are charging a regular customer for the quilt they have made. Don't forget to put in a line for the binding. In our area they charge .15/inch for rectangular quilt and you supply the binding fabric. Add it all together and show them the breakdown. You can develop a practice estimate to show people. Queen size being the most popular and an average skill block quilt. Put the whole works together as a presentation. Don't faint. The price will drop your jaw. It's a come to Jesus moment for people who don't have a clue. By making the presentation folder you will stop the people fantasizing about giving an amazing gift for a little money. You also made a comment about it being hand quilted. If you like doing hand quilting, make a sample block or two. Hand quilt in simple and complex style - bill for both as you would a full size quilt. It won't take them long to get it. Happy Quilting. Don't sell yourself short, life is too short.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
It's because what YOU do isn't as important as what HE does.
Since he's a hunter tell him you'd like to have a real bear skin rug. Would he please go to Canada, get a permit, kill one, have the meat processed, the head and skin made into a rug and give you a price for that. He'll start listing the costs of everything including his time off from work. Then tell him that you just want a small bear and couldn't he do it for $200?
If that's not hitting the nail on the head. I agree. Some people just don't see the value in what we do simply because they have no interest in it. You can't make a king for any less than that price she quoted. If it were me, I wouldn't make the quilt for him.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:01 AM

If you google David Taylor (the quilter) who does hand applique you will see that he gets around $18,000 per quilt. He certainly learned fast how to value his time and effort!! When I have a piece I really don"t want to sell, I'll just give it a "real" price. If we don't value it, buyers won't value it!!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:02 AM

Don't make the quilt for him. He doesn't appreciate your work and if he wants a quilt that badly tell him Kmart or WalMart have them cheaper.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:20 AM

Sounds like you weren't charging enough! I don't see how anyone could make a King Size quilt for only $650. That hardly covers the materials much less your time! I just finished one for myself and by the time I get it long arm quilted I will have about $500 into it and that is all done by machine!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:21 AM

The "Bear" analogy wins! That is the best idea I have ever heard.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:21 AM

People are sooooooooo used to the Bed in a Bag prices that they have no concept of the true cost.
Mary
Old 12-15-2010, 05:26 AM

I work part time in a quilt museum store and the manager sold 4 lap sized, hand quilted pieces to a man for $45 each. I was told to put them together at work during the slow times. I left the bindings intact and stithed them together. I was very surprised that they came out even in the center and sides. Turns out he didn't want to pay for a larger quilt for his daughter to use on her mattress on the floor!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-143450.jpe   attachment-143452.jpe  
Old 12-15-2010, 06:00 AM

some people want something for nothing - your time is valuable