Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Half Square Triangle Ruler >

Half Square Triangle Ruler

Half Square Triangle Ruler

Old 05-19-2017, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have the Block Loc and it's a pain for me to use. I messed up many HSTs trying to get it right. It looks so easy on the video but not so much at home for me. I know it's something I'm doing or not doing but I'm the only one in my sew group that has one so they aren't any help.
I love the Bloc-Loc rulers. My HSTs have never been better. It did take some practice but what doesn't. Sorry that you found this ruler difficult to use.

Maybe you should give it another try. If you have a sewing group, suggest that you have a learning session one day with the ruler and a bunch of scraps. Watch the videos together and then everyone can play with the ruler. Together you can all get help to learn a new and wonderful technique. It could be fun.

peace
Old 05-19-2017, 05:22 AM

Had to go look up what the block lock rulers were - think I'll be getting myself a set with one of the MSQC gift certificates I got for mother's day.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:23 AM

I love the Block Loc ruler for squaring half square triangles.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

I have the same chart in my chart binder for different sizes everything quilting.
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
I have always used the 8-at-a-time method. There are many sites for this, but here's one: http://www.blossomheartquilts.com/20...ght-at-a-time/

Works like a charm for me!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
I tried the Quilt in a Day ruler where you can trim up before you open your HST but it kept slipping and caused me pain so I'm going to invest in a Bloc Loc ruler, they're expensive so I'm going to order the biggest one, it's 12". I've tried my regular ruler but it was very hard to get to stay as well.
Love the Bloc-Loc rulers. I have several sizes and use them all the time.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:24 AM

I use the Easy Angler ruler because one end of the triangle is blunted already helping accuracy and feeding. It also allows me to use my seam guide to sew the 1/4" seam accurately. Sewing on a diagonal line, for me, is not always so good- some wobbles and such. I also hardly have to trim the HSTs.
Trimming: I love the Bloc loc- it has changed my trimming to being accurate all the time. Make sure the logo goes facing bottom edge to the side the seam is pressed. For example, I press to the dark side and the logo goes upside down towards the dark side. I use it especially when I make HSTs from layer cakes- the sew all around and cut diagonally method. I get perfect matching HSTs when I use the Bloc Loc.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I printed this out in 2 1/2 size. The one inch square is 1/8 inch short on both sides. What do I do now? Should I try enlarging it? By how much?
Hi Mavis,

First, make sure "fit to page" is NOT checked when you print it. If that doesn't fix it, try scaling to 114%.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
Hi Mavis,

First, make sure "fit to page" is NOT checked when you print it. If that doesn't fix it, try scaling to 114%.
Thanks, Jennifer. I don't think my printer will do anything other than 100,125, 150 and 200%. I haven't found a "fit to page" either. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:32 AM
Administrator

i am very lazy so i avoid any method that requires drawing lines.
i also don't like using tools that force you to make something incorrectly and then take extra steps to make it right.

i do have a studio cutter so that's an option for me when i need a bazillion HST from the same fabrics.

i also have two different sizes of the EZ angle. love it, love it, love it.
a fraction of a fraction of the cost of a cutting machine.
no wasted fabric.
no wasted steps.

the method i use most, though, doesn't require any special machine or ruler.
cut squares 7/8" larger than the finished size of the HST.
cut on the diagonal.
sew down the diagonal.
works 99% of the time.

sewing on the bias is not tricky if you just guide the pieces and don't push or pull on them.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

Okay I watched the Block Loc video and followed along. It's not hard to use, it's hard to remember how to use. I messed up two trials but got two right. The to sided channel gets me confused each time.