Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Half Square Triangle/Tips for more perfect >

Half Square Triangle/Tips for more perfect

Half Square Triangle/Tips for more perfect

Old 11-11-2012, 05:18 PM

The precut 5" squares are not always exactly 5". Also sometimes we have a tendency to wander a off a little at the end of the seam and when it is multiplied by several blocks it adds up to your problem.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:22 PM

The 5' precuts aren't always exactly 5". Also, sometimes we tend to let the end of the seam drift off just a little but when multiplied over several blocks it adds up to your problem. Try to make sure you hold that last little bit of the seam firm to be sure to get the accurate 1/4".
Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by mea12 View Post
I just abandoned a quilt project that was all half-square triangles made from pre-cut 5" squares. I used the drawn line method and all was well until assembly took place and some points were off. Now if these were all the same size, is that supposed to happen? Is accuracy hard to achieve w/ these and if so, what do you do to maximize accuracy with those points? I read a little bit online and it seems many make them larger to start with and then later trim to size. Is that step i missed that would've yielded better results?

mea
Go to U tube type in half square triangles great tute make four at one time
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 PM

I like Nifty Notions Half Square ruler for cutting the triangles from strips. But I have started making them 1/4 to 1/2 inch bigger so I can trim them down with Deb Tucker's "Tucker Trimmer" and be sure they are the size I want.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:34 PM

I agree with the majority......precuts are seldom all accurate. Can't you jut square up your hst?
Old 11-11-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by mea12 View Post
I just abandoned a quilt project that was all half-square triangles made from pre-cut 5" squares. I used the drawn line method and all was well until assembly took place and some points were off. Now if these were all the same size, is that supposed to happen? Is accuracy hard to achieve w/ these and if so, what do you do to maximize accuracy with those points? I read a little bit online and it seems many make them larger to start with and then later trim to size. Is that step i missed that would've yielded better results?

mea
Creative Grids has a non slip simple 7/8 Ruler now #CGR78 made for cutting hqt. It is designed by Joyce Dawe. My Quilt shop ordered it for me. They run around $18.00. or order from www.creativedgridsUSA.com. Have two, one for sewing room and one for go bag. Great little ruler
Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 PM

I bought a charm pack and when I measured the squares they were not 5" - some were slightly under, some a bit more. So it could be your charm set was not right
Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
Untill I started using the "make larger block, trim to size needed", HST were nothing but frustration for me. It's the only way now for me.
I totally agree... I've tried other methods, including Thangles, but what works best for me is to cut the squares a little bit bigger and then trim the HST down... And I have to stick with what works!!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by piepatch View Post
I make the HST's bigger than needed, then cut them to size.
This is what I do as well. It works very well. I couldn't get good success with the other ways I tried.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Sorry you had so much Trouble, I use the WONDER CUT ruler, It is great, you cut two strips of fabric( according to the size finished block) sew both sides( like a tube) and lay the ruler on the strip and cut. It is easy peasy. I usually make a hair larger because my 1/4" is not always accurate. The web site is very helpful. http://wondercutruler.com/