Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Half square triangles advice needed >

Half square triangles advice needed

Half square triangles advice needed

Old 07-12-2012, 05:46 AM

I starch the fabric before cutting. Then I cut my original squares a little bigger than the directions call for. Then I mark the diagonal on the back of whichever fabric is easier to see. Some press a diagonal line into the squares instead. I sew a scant 1/4" away from both sides of the diagonal. Then I touch all those now sewn squares with a hot iron to set the seam before cutting them. Let cool a minute or two. Then finger press them open with whichever side you want the seam to go. Then I lay the hot iron on them again to press them. No squiggling around with the iron.

I will also add that I pre-wash my fabric. Some of the thinner fabrics and fabrics that have metallic woven into them seem to shrink or warp every time a hot iron hits them and no amount of starch or pre-shrinking seemed to help. Cheap muslin seems to be the main culprit it my stash now but before I started pre-washing & starching all my fabric before cutting, I had the problem a lot.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:25 AM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
The method on that site is for quarter square triangles and it sounds like you want half square triangles. Here's a link on that same site for half square triangles: http://www.patchwork-and-quilting.co...triangles.html.
LOL, I know. I could not quickly find the HST method online in my fibro fog last night. I know what I was thinking, just could not remember how to describe what I was doing. I like the prewash advice. I have never prewashed fat quarters because I am afraid the washer will mistake them for socks and they will wind up in sock purgatory.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 AM

Default Hst

Maybe some help here:
Attached Thumbnails hsqtriangle-var..gif  
Old 07-12-2012, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I put a piece of fusible stabilizer from corner to corner and no more stretch or waves at all. I buy it a Amazon. Or you could cut your own.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:57 AM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I put a piece of fusible stabilizer from corner to corner and no more stretch or waves at all. I buy it a Amazon. Or you could cut your own.

Wonderful idea!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 AM

I have the same problem that you do. What I did this last time, was to forgo the sewing a 1/4 in from the middle and just went ahead and cut them apart diagonal corner to corner ( right sids facing) and then took them straight to the sewing machine and sewed them together. Then I starched and pressed them and pressed the seam open. They were almost perfect every time with this method. Good Luck. Gina
Old 07-12-2012, 09:30 AM

I do them basically the same as Gina -- cut a square an inch larger than the unfinished size I want ... cut on the diagonal, sew them, set the stitches, iron the seam open (finished pieces lies a LOT flatter) then square them up. Yes, there's a little waste, but my HST's are perfect. Every single time. When I tried to draw a line first I found many times my squares were no longer square! I now avoid ANY technique that requires me to draw a line on the fabric if at all possible.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
I have the same problem that you do. What I did this last time, was to forgo the sewing a 1/4 in from the middle and just went ahead and cut them apart diagonal corner to corner ( right sids facing) and then took them straight to the sewing machine and sewed them together. Then I starched and pressed them and pressed the seam open. They were almost perfect every time with this method. Good Luck. Gina
I think if you cut them on the diaginal before sewing you're really cutting/sewing on the bias and you seams will stretch. by sewing before cutting the fabric will keep the diaginal from stretching. -
Old 07-12-2012, 12:46 PM

Try the Quick Half-Square technique on that site. Just cut your squares of material 1" larger. No bias edges to woryy about. Then when done use a Bias Square ruler to trim it to size. [I like the That Patchwork Place/Martingale Bias Square ruler the best.]

ali
Old 07-16-2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Digitizingqueen View Post
I just cut two squares about an inch bigger than I want my finished triangles, I then stitch 1/4inch on Esther side of a line I draw down the middle cut them on the line press and trim them with a square ruler....
Thanks for a really logical solution to not having to do a bunch of math for these. I will try it next time.