Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A stolen embroidery machine?

A stolen embroidery machine?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ppd/3142913182.html

I found this on craigslist, selling for $1,900... no way! These are over $10,000 new!

Just got off the phone with Crimestoppers.... drama, drama, drama!

Oh My Goodness! I hope this guy gets caught!!!

hmmmm.... same ad for Houston... http://houston.craigslist.org/ppd/3142679335.html
    I don't think it's stolen. I think it might be a scam though.

WOW these people really have no life do they. There's so many scams going all the time I TRUST NO ONE!!! Sad but true.
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

oh, more details christine! =)

I just checked CraigsList for Minneapolis and the same listing is there, with a message saying "This listing has been flagged for removal". Same guy.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

This is not a stolen machine. It's a scam that runs throug CL constantly. They get people to accept a fake check for more, pay them the difference etc. This is not new and won't be the last time you see it.

​Just goes to show you that if it is too good to be true, it is too good to be true.
    Sweet Caroline

Found this same ad when I was looking for an 830. Even tried to contact them and did not hear back. Purchased mine from dealer. Found out it was a scam.

mltquilt

I think they did this was a Husk. Viking not long ago. They flooded craigslist with the same ad.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    hmmmm.... same ad for Houston... http://houston.craigslist.org/ppd/3142679335.html
    I don't think it's stolen. I think it might be a scam though.
    I agree, it does seems like a scam.

Yeah the same ad is in a ton of cities if you look on for sale alert. Scam for sure.

I have a code I can use to call in to Crimestoppers to get an update. They were interested in contacting my Bernina dealer to confirm that this machine really is worth much more than was asked in the ad. I'll call again tomorrow and let them know you ladies on top of things! I knew it was either a scam or a stolen machine. I had no idea the same scam was all around the country. I think they'll follow up on it and keep you posted.

The add has been taken down Good for craigslist. and good for you for reporting it

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    This is not a stolen machine. It's a scam that runs throug CL constantly. They get people to accept a fake check for more, pay them the difference etc. This is not new and won't be the last time you see it.
    Can I ask, though...why would anyone do it? (send back extra money from a check someone sent you.) I sure wouldn't and probably would just tell the person I don't want their check...as I'm supposed to be sending them money, etc. But since I can't imagine paying for anything with a check from Craig's List--whcih is the KING of stolen goods--and the best place for ongoing scams...why would anyone do anything the least bit abnormal and feel okay about it?

The only way to buy a used machine is either in person after trying it out or through a place with a chance for feedback, IMO (like ebay).

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    Can I ask, though...why would anyone do it? (send back extra money from a check someone sent you.) I sure wouldn't and probably would just tell the person I don't want their check...as I'm supposed to be sending them money, etc. But since I can't imagine paying for anything with a check from Craig's List--whcih is the KING of stolen goods--and the best place for ongoing scams...why would anyone do anything the least bit abnormal and feel okay about it?

The only way to buy a used machine is either in person after trying it out or through a place with a chance for feedback, IMO (like ebay).
    Some people are greedy and or uneducated, naive, mentally handicapped. Whatever. There are those that prey on people, plain and simple. These scams are also the "it's 1,800 for a $12,000 machine..send me a money order and I'll ship it to you right away." Yeah, right...

All it takes is one or two people to fall for it, they don't care how many people DIDN'T fall for it. Look at how many people fall for the Nigerian scams.

Anytime you see a duplicate post in multiple cities , you can report it (flag it) just for that. Very easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    ​Just goes to show you that if it is too good to be true, it is too good to be true.
    Well spoken!

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    Look at how many people fall for the Nigerian scams.
    I didn't know that people fell for those things! They are so crazy! If they really had money for me, their lawyer would contact me. If it were a significant amount, I'd probably fly there and deal with everything in person...it's just so ODD that it seems funny to me that people actually fall for it (to the point of sending them a check...).

Originally Posted by Caroline S
    Well spoken!
    I think that paying 10% of retail for something is what you can sometimes do at yard sales, so $1800 for a $12000 machine isn't that out of the realm of possibility for a "great deal".

I know someone who fell for the "send back the extra money" scam and luckily he mentioned it to me in process so that he only got taken for $160. Here's how it worked:

My friend (a regular guy in his 40's) posted two chairs for sale on Craigslist. He was contacted by a guy from California who said he was moving to this city and that his employer - a university - would be paying all of his moving expenses. Problem was that the university could only issue checks in amounts of $500, so when the check from the university arrived would my friend please deposit the check into his back account and send back the $425 difference? My friend deposited the check (it deposited just fine) and was about to head to the post office with his own check of $425 when he ran into me and mentioned where he was going. I'd seen a report of this scam on 60 Minutes, so told him not to do it and immediately contact his own bank. Well, his own bank charged him $160 in fees for depositing a bad check, stopping payment, putting a hold on his account and who knows what else.

I think the problem is that if you're an honest person you have trouble seeing that other people are not as honest as you are.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

It is a shame what these crooks do to unsuspecting people.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    I think that paying 10% of retail for something is what you can sometimes do at yard sales, so $1800 for a $12000 machine isn't that out of the realm of possibility for a "great deal".

Sorry, but you're dreaming when it comes to a $12,000 Bernina. And just the type that these scammers are hoping will fall for their ads.

Blog Entries
    maybe it's from China, he, he.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast