Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 47 of 47

Thread: A stolen embroidery machine?

  1. #26
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,764
    Blog Entries
    1
    Seems a good reason to stay away from Craigslist. You know the old saying, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." Why would anyone try to buy an expensive sewing machine from anyone but a reputable dealer?!?!

  2. #27
    Senior Member MarthaT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Alabama
    Posts
    711
    Two weeks ago we listed our older van for sale on CL. I think all the responses we got were scammers. All were either in the military reserves, out on a forestry job, or something that they would need to send an "agent" to pick it up for them. Wanted our paypal info, etc. When I said we were dealing in cash only I didn't hear any more from them. One said she wanted to surprise her son in Romania with the van. How crazy! Ship a '97 Van to Romania!?!?!?

    My brother-in-law built a whole garage with stuff he bought mostly off CL and sold the leftovers back on CL and had a complete garage for real cheap. So there are good things going on with CL, but you've got to keep your guard up there just like anywhere else.
    Thimble and Thread

  3. #28
    Super Member Latrinka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    6,946
    Says flagged for removal.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

  4. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Greenwood, AR
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
    I have a code I can use to call in to Crimestoppers to get an update. They were interested in contacting my Bernina dealer to confirm that this machine really is worth much more than was asked in the ad. I'll call again tomorrow and let them know you ladies on top of things! I knew it was either a scam or a stolen machine. I had no idea the same scam was all around the country. I think they'll follow up on it and keep you posted.
    Why would you call Crimestoppers...if you care enough to call, why do you have to remain anonymous??

  5. #30
    Super Member lorimax5859's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,913
    Blog Entries
    6
    This is definitely a new scam involving everything from embroidery machines to cars, vans, etc. Here is a reply I received after responding to an add on Craigslist for a 2010 Travel Trailer for $1900!

    "Please give me a little time to explain you the process of this transaction,
    As I told you in my first email, I divorced, I got a new job and moved to Augusta, ME. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with Google Checkout so my presence isn't necessary. The trailer is located in Augusta, at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The trailer will arrive at your address in 2-3 working days. The shipping cost is included in the total price of the trailer. You will have 5 days to test it and inspect the trailer prior to make any purchase. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
    full name and address phone #. After I will have all this details I will forward them to Google Checkout and I will proceed this transaction. Google Checkout will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal and also to see that I am covered by them and that I am legit seller. Waiting your email with the requested details."

    I emailed her that my son-in-law lived in the next town and would pick up the trailer (not true) and she responded the following "I intend to stick on my deal with amazon since they already have my rv sealed, with all the documents and ready for the shipping process to start. Thanks"

    My son-in-law ran into the same situation with similar results. He feels if you respond they send you a fake form that looks like Google Checkout (but isn't) and they then raid your account.

    English sounds off - probably from a foreign country trying to "bait and switch". Please beware!!!!
    Last edited by lorimax5859; 07-18-2012 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Addit'l info

  6. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    678
    i had a similar situation with a "roland" electronic accordion, years ago. the price was good--about 2k less than retail. the transaction was done, but when i tried to replace a missing cord through the mfgr, i found out that this was a stolen instrument, being sold by a shill--a foreign student, doing a favor for a friend. ended up in conversation with police in new york, and boston, and finally getting my money back from this kid's father (in the mideast), who wanted to avoid scandal. such a deal! not!! i've steered clear of big purchases online, ever since. i got lucky. most folks don't.
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

  7. #32
    Super Member Deborahlees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wine Country-Southern California
    Posts
    1,455
    Wow....what a story.....I agree...if it sounds too good....it isn't....

  8. #33
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,929
    I would not doubt a scam...my daughter almost got caught in one from Craig List awhile back.........now, we don't even go there....nor to ebay...just as bad lately......prefer brick and mortar shopping.....

  9. #34
    Super Member karate lady's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    washington
    Posts
    1,429
    key words ..."yard sale"...

  10. #35
    Super Member Christine-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,460
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbieG View Post
    Why would you call Crimestoppers...if you care enough to call, why do you have to remain anonymous??
    ... maybe 'cause I wanted to stop crime? Where did you get the idea I made an anonymous call?

    I called the Raleigh police department's investigation division, spoke to a detective. She's the one who told me to call crimestoppers and gave me the number to call. You know you CAN tell them your name. I gave them my name, address, phone and also the name, address, phone of the Bernina dealer in Raleigh since the cop on the phone at crimestoppers was clueless about sewing/embroidery machines.
    Last edited by Christine-; 07-18-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

    I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

  11. #36
    Super Member tlpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lost in my sewing room
    Posts
    1,441
    When I find these ads I always ask where it is located (I want to SEE the thing). When I get the e-mail telling me it is in...lets say Texas (I'm from Pittsburgh), it usually also says to do the transaction through blaa blaa blaa.....I flag the ad. I've flagged several of these scams.

  12. #37
    Senior Member captlynhall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    League City, Texas, USA
    Posts
    624
    When it comes to doing business, I have always been uncomfortable dealing with individuals instead of a company with a verifiable history. This just confirms my fears. I do know people who have made considerable transactions on e-bay and had great luck with it, but don't think it's for me.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

  13. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    Can I ask, though...why would anyone do it? (send back extra money from a check someone sent you.) I sure wouldn't and probably would just tell the person I don't want their check...as I'm supposed to be sending them money, etc. But since I can't imagine paying for anything with a check from Craig's List--whcih is the KING of stolen goods--and the best place for ongoing scams...why would anyone do anything the least bit abnormal and feel okay about it?

    The only way to buy a used machine is either in person after trying it out or through a place with a chance for feedback, IMO (like ebay).
    you have that backwards....EBAY is the home of all things lifted(stolen)..CL is just home to the scammers, since ebay weeded them out! Just try to find a real puppy on CL..OY..the scams...

  14. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by captlynhall View Post
    When it comes to doing business, I have always been uncomfortable dealing with individuals instead of a company with a verifiable history. This just confirms my fears. I do know people who have made considerable transactions on e-bay and had great luck with it, but don't think it's for me.
    then you need to REthink ebay which is now 90% business and not individuals. Even sears, lowes, hastings, you name it, they all have stores on ebay now! I had my store there for 10 years...

  15. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lorimax5859 View Post
    This is definitely a new scam involving everything from embroidery machines to cars, vans, etc. Here is a reply I received after responding to an add on Craigslist for a 2010 Travel Trailer for $1900!

    "Please give me a little time to explain you the process of this transaction,
    As I told you in my first email, I divorced, I got a new job and moved to Augusta, ME. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with Google Checkout so my presence isn't necessary. The trailer is located in Augusta, at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The trailer will arrive at your address in 2-3 working days. The shipping cost is included in the total price of the trailer. You will have 5 days to test it and inspect the trailer prior to make any purchase. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
    full name and address phone #. After I will have all this details I will forward them to Google Checkout and I will proceed this transaction. Google Checkout will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal and also to see that I am covered by them and that I am legit seller. Waiting your email with the requested details."

    I emailed her that my son-in-law lived in the next town and would pick up the trailer (not true) and she responded the following "I intend to stick on my deal with amazon since they already have my rv sealed, with all the documents and ready for the shipping process to start. Thanks"

    My son-in-law ran into the same situation with similar results. He feels if you respond they send you a fake form that looks like Google Checkout (but isn't) and they then raid your account.

    English sounds off - probably from a foreign country trying to "bait and switch". Please beware!!!!
    I think I tried to buy this trailer, but it had been moved from TX to CO because her dad had died.....hehehe

  16. #41
    Senior Member Maire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    549
    I think these scams work often enough to make it worthwhile for the crooks, I know of a naive 18 yr old, sweet girl, just did not yet know enough of the world who lost $800 for a TOL sewing machin, she sent payment through Western Union and of course never saw the machine & no way to trace the seller, I can't remember if it was eBay or CL. But she did learn a valuable lesson, hopefully she'll never fall for a scam again.

  17. #42
    Super Member Chasing Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    8,551
    There is a guy that has ads on the CL in Bend,Or. He sells tractors, a very fancy ad but the price is to good to be true.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

  18. #43
    Super Member Chasing Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    8,551
    Years ago when our son was house hunting for a rental. He came across an ad for a 3 bedroom house.
    I don't recall the exact rent payment but it was cheap. We went by the house because the address was listed in the ad.
    And on the door was a notice that said.......

    I am the OWNER of this house, I live here. The ad on Craigslist is a SCAM.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

  19. #44
    Super Member OKLAHOMA PEACH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    BLANCHARD, OK
    Posts
    2,507
    They send counterfeit cashiers checks, I have one sitting in my drawer at work, was trying to sell an older vintage singer, it was made out for more than I asked, would I please send overage back to them by western union, of course before cashing I called the bank it was on, one clerk told me "its a cashiers check, of course its good", informed the young lady that no they are not always good, asked to talk to an officer, and after checking of course it was a forgery, It was delivered by UPS by a dark skinned man, in a Fed Ex envelope, with coke's account number out of CA, I let FBI know and I let Coke know, FBI said keep the check and they would get back to me, well that was 4 years ago. I led the man on by days, just for meaness, before I finally told him off. We have had several customers that this has happened to. Just last week a bank customer wanted to cash a money order and he mentioned that someone in someother state wanted to purchase his coffee table, I asked him whats so special about this coffee table, he said it was just a plain ole coffee table, I told the customer that I would not cash the money order, but that he could deposit it and wait a week before issuing funds and that it was probably a scam, sure enough it was. customer said, "but he was so nice over the phone". Also, Guard you checking accounts, check them often, people are stealing checks out of mail boxes, making their own with your account number, wiping your account out over the weekend at places such as walmart, because they use Check system which will allow a check to be cashed as long as there are funds in the account. Be Alert there is UGLINESS out there.

  20. #45
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,490
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    you have that backwards....EBAY is the home of all things lifted(stolen)..CL is just home to the scammers, since ebay weeded them out! Just try to find a real puppy on CL..OY..the scams...
    When you buy from ebay, as the buyer you are protected, as long as you pay through Paypal. As the seller, fuhgeddaboutit!! The scammers on ebay are mostly the buyers, who know how to work the system and get things for free.

    I think you are likely to find stolen goods on either, although if I was a crook I would pick CL, quick and no paper trail. meet somewhere, get cash, hand over stolen goods. Hope it is not the person you stole from!! This has happened!!

    http://consumerist.com/2012/05/man-s...-from-him.html

  21. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    46
    When I saw that "stolen embroidery machine" thing on here, I thought (before reading all of it) that the ladies in my quilting group had sent it in! I got such a bargain on a used emb. machine a couple weeks ago, they accused me of stealing it! I got a Janome memory craft 8000 (about 10 yrs old, but works great) along with a box of 56 spools of Janome emb. thread, 32 spools reg thread, and 16 "cards", each with dozens of emb. designs -- for at total of $40!! This couple was selling things from "Granny's" estate. My friends say I stole it. Mine was not a scam, but hope people are forewarned about the real scam.

  22. #47
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Quote Originally Posted by craftyneedle View Post
    When I saw that "stolen embroidery machine" thing on here, I thought (before reading all of it) that the ladies in my quilting group had sent it in! I got such a bargain on a used emb. machine a couple weeks ago, they accused me of stealing it! I got a Janome memory craft 8000 (about 10 yrs old, but works great) along with a box of 56 spools of Janome emb. thread, 32 spools reg thread, and 16 "cards", each with dozens of emb. designs -- for at total of $40!! This couple was selling things from "Granny's" estate. My friends say I stole it. Mine was not a scam, but hope people are forewarned about the real scam.
    Hmmm. Are you sure? I have a 9000 and my machine is a newer model than yours and it's 14 years old.... Good price, but I would say the 8000 has to be at least 15-17 years old?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.