Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A stolen embroidery machine? >

A stolen embroidery machine?

A stolen embroidery machine?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
​Just goes to show you that if it is too good to be true, it is too good to be true.
Well spoken!
I think that paying 10% of retail for something is what you can sometimes do at yard sales, so $1800 for a $12000 machine isn't that out of the realm of possibility for a "great deal".
Old 07-17-2012, 05:46 AM

I know someone who fell for the "send back the extra money" scam and luckily he mentioned it to me in process so that he only got taken for $160. Here's how it worked:

My friend (a regular guy in his 40's) posted two chairs for sale on Craigslist. He was contacted by a guy from California who said he was moving to this city and that his employer - a university - would be paying all of his moving expenses. Problem was that the university could only issue checks in amounts of $500, so when the check from the university arrived would my friend please deposit the check into his back account and send back the $425 difference? My friend deposited the check (it deposited just fine) and was about to head to the post office with his own check of $425 when he ran into me and mentioned where he was going. I'd seen a report of this scam on 60 Minutes, so told him not to do it and immediately contact his own bank. Well, his own bank charged him $160 in fees for depositing a bad check, stopping payment, putting a hold on his account and who knows what else.

I think the problem is that if you're an honest person you have trouble seeing that other people are not as honest as you are.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:49 AM

It is a shame what these crooks do to unsuspecting people.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I think that paying 10% of retail for something is what you can sometimes do at yard sales, so $1800 for a $12000 machine isn't that out of the realm of possibility for a "great deal".

Sorry, but you're dreaming when it comes to a $12,000 Bernina. And just the type that these scammers are hoping will fall for their ads.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

maybe it's from China, he, he.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:14 AM

Seems a good reason to stay away from Craigslist. You know the old saying, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." Why would anyone try to buy an expensive sewing machine from anyone but a reputable dealer?!?!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:26 AM

Two weeks ago we listed our older van for sale on CL. I think all the responses we got were scammers. All were either in the military reserves, out on a forestry job, or something that they would need to send an "agent" to pick it up for them. Wanted our paypal info, etc. When I said we were dealing in cash only I didn't hear any more from them. One said she wanted to surprise her son in Romania with the van. How crazy! Ship a '97 Van to Romania!?!?!?

My brother-in-law built a whole garage with stuff he bought mostly off CL and sold the leftovers back on CL and had a complete garage for real cheap. So there are good things going on with CL, but you've got to keep your guard up there just like anywhere else.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:31 AM

Says flagged for removal.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
I have a code I can use to call in to Crimestoppers to get an update. They were interested in contacting my Bernina dealer to confirm that this machine really is worth much more than was asked in the ad. I'll call again tomorrow and let them know you ladies on top of things! I knew it was either a scam or a stolen machine. I had no idea the same scam was all around the country. I think they'll follow up on it and keep you posted.
Why would you call Crimestoppers...if you care enough to call, why do you have to remain anonymous??
Old 07-18-2012, 05:56 AM

This is definitely a new scam involving everything from embroidery machines to cars, vans, etc. Here is a reply I received after responding to an add on Craigslist for a 2010 Travel Trailer for $1900!

"Please give me a little time to explain you the process of this transaction,
As I told you in my first email, I divorced, I got a new job and moved to Augusta, ME. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with Google Checkout so my presence isn't necessary. The trailer is located in Augusta, at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The trailer will arrive at your address in 2-3 working days. The shipping cost is included in the total price of the trailer. You will have 5 days to test it and inspect the trailer prior to make any purchase. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
full name and address phone #. After I will have all this details I will forward them to Google Checkout and I will proceed this transaction. Google Checkout will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal and also to see that I am covered by them and that I am legit seller. Waiting your email with the requested details."

I emailed her that my son-in-law lived in the next town and would pick up the trailer (not true) and she responded the following "I intend to stick on my deal with amazon since they already have my rv sealed, with all the documents and ready for the shipping process to start. Thanks"

My son-in-law ran into the same situation with similar results. He feels if you respond they send you a fake form that looks like Google Checkout (but isn't) and they then raid your account.

English sounds off - probably from a foreign country trying to "bait and switch". Please beware!!!!

Last edited by lorimax5859; 07-18-2012 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Addit'l info