Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Halo Medallion >

Halo Medallion

Halo Medallion

Old 12-29-2018, 08:57 PM

Default Halo Medallion

I recently downloaded the pattern for the Halo Medallion Quilt by Sue Garman. Has anyone made this quilt? Did you Need 11 yards of background? I'd planned to use fabric in my stash, but a bit short. By My math, I think 9 yards will be enough. I'd sure feel better if someone else would confirm.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-30-2018 at 03:28 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-29-2018, 09:09 PM

Sorry, i can't help but that is one stunning quilt. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2018, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

https://www.comequilt.com/shop/Block...lion-Quilt.htm
it looks to me to be paper pieced? if that is the case, it takes more fabric. I don't have a way to confirm the yardage, either.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:42 AM

That looks ambitious (and beautiful!)
Old 12-30-2018, 04:52 AM

How much of it is PP? PP always takes a lot more fabric.

A lot of PP patterns have you precut for the PP, and they plan it so you have less bias, but then you have a lot of waste. I did one that I used about 25% less fabric because I ignored the directions and cut much smaller triangles and didn't pay any attention to the bias as it does not cause me problems. That pattern was mostly PP though, lots and lots of acrs of different triangles.

However I did the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler that was not paper pieced and called for 7 yards of background. It's 6" blocks, and it needed that much and there was little waste. That was a queen size quilt. I ended up running short so did some of the center blocks with a different coordinating background and it turned out fine.

It's a really pretty pattern, I don't think I'd PP anything but the arcs. Also, if you run short of background, you could use a different one for some of the rounds and it would still look fine.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I have not made this quilt but have certainly admired it as I do with just about every Sue Garman pattern I have seen. I would think you could easily use two or more different background fabrics that are very close in tone, value and color with this quilt. For example you could use one fabric for the center star, a different one for the halo geese and yet another one for the Delectable mountains outer border and a mix to do all the tiny pinwheels, sawtooth stars and HST borders. Do you have a couple of neutral backgrounds in your stash that are close in color value and tone you could supplement? If the pattern calls for 11 yards I would say yes it will take 11 yards even if it is not PP. Sue Garman is not known for making PP patterns but the curved FG may be. Those curved FG alone would use a lot of yardage because of the nature of the curved piecing and how you have to cut the fabric for the background pieces which look to be assembled like a NYB block. And yes you will end up with some waste but there is no way around that. You could use some of the waste from the FG to make smaller HST units. Perhaps Sue writes the patterns in a way that doesn't utilize the waste from the Curved FG blocks. Also that center star looks pretty big considering the finished quilt measures 86" square so the background for that could easily take over a yard for the setting squares alone. Gorgeous quilt.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:13 AM

Thanks all. Yes, part of the quilt is paper pieced, but the instructions do give the sizes to cut for these pieces. It's a BOM and I'm coming out with about 10 inches extra on each month and about 30 inches on the PP months based on 42 inch fabric with no matching, etc. I have considered just adding a different fabric for a couple rounds OR I could just get new fabric to be safe . I was hoping someone here may have made the quilt with a kit, or 11 yds background and would tell me to be careful and 9-10 yards would be fine!
Old 12-30-2018, 11:58 AM

I printed it... Somewhere.... House is a wreck with remodel.

Do you know what the fabric you have is? You could ask if anyone has a couple of yards they might part with over in the "looking for" section.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:30 PM

Great idea Peaceandjoy! Duh, I didn't think of that. I've been playing in my stash today and may change my print background to a secondary color and go with a more solid off-white for the 'real' background. If I spent as much time sewing as I do dreaming.......I mean planning.....
Old 12-31-2018, 04:56 AM

I did it. I bought the requested amount of background and had a lot left over, but I don't remember if it was a full 2 yards. There are quite a few parts where the pieces they tell you to start with are very "generous", so you might get by with the 9 yds.

I did it month-by-month when it was the BOM from TheQuiltShow, and really learned a lot about paper piecing, which I hadn't done a lot of. It was fun ... it was also fun to be done with it! well, with the piecing. I still haven't quilted mine!