Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hancock Fabrics >

Hancock Fabrics

Hancock Fabrics

Old 11-13-2009, 10:59 AM

Where is your cornfield in IL, Lisa? lol I'm in Carlyle.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:01 AM

Rndelling, I'm just up the road a bit from you in the great Hillsboro metropolitan area. What a hoot to think of Hillsboro having a metropolitan area! :)
Old 11-13-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had troubles so far but my debit is also a credit card. Not sure of difference, but so far I'm doing ok
Bev, the fact that you can use your debit card as a credit card does not make any difference. That card is still linked directly to your checking account, and someone with that number can play havoc with your money. So, your best bet is to not use your debit/credit card online.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:10 AM

I'm pretty sure Hillsboro is bigger than Carlyle. If Hillsboro is a suburb of Litchfield it's definitely bigger.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:54 PM

hey i am just down the road (( a bit )) from you !! i am in Springfield
Old 11-14-2009, 01:59 PM

this problem is happening everywhere i went shopping the other day and used my JO ann credit card by the time i got home they were on the phone asking me were i had used the card that day because there was a .10 charge that was made and it brought up a red flag i told them i didnt buy anything for ,10 so they closed out my account and issued me a new card with differant numbers they said some people try to charge a .10 or small amount on your card and if it goes thru they increase it thinkiing there is a larger limit and no one notices it so then one day they would go crazy shopping on your card the company that charged me .10 was not even from this country !!!! glad the credit card company was watching my transactions
Old 11-14-2009, 03:15 PM

Not too far. I don't get to Springfield often but do want to go to the Lincoln Museum sometime soon.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:35 PM
cjc

When you order online and use your debit card as a credit card, you have the same protection as you would with a credit card. If you use your PIN, using it as a debit card, you do not have that protection. They figure that noone is suppose to have your PIN.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by cjc
When you order online and use your debit card as a credit card, you have the same protection as you would with a credit card. If you use your PIN, using it as a debit card, you do not have that protection. They figure that noone is suppose to have your PIN.
Actually, you dont' have the same protection. With a credit card, if you call them and ask to have a certain transaction stopped, or blocked, that is usually the end of it. With a debit card, the bank can't stop the incoming transaction, so even tho' they can "usually" return it, you will often end up with a bank charge. Plus, the banks sometimes can't return the charge, so you then end up fighting the bank as well as the ongoing debit charge that you are trying to stop. Also with a debit card, you dont' have the regulatory protections that go with a credit card. Having said all that, if you know and trust where you plan to use a debit card, go ahead. "Most" online retailers are honest, but as anywhere else, you will always find one or two bad apples. :( Just be wary, and be as safe as you can when shopping online.

Patti
Old 11-14-2009, 07:20 PM

I had the same problem here in Albany, New York. But I used the card at a local Hannaford supermarket. There were several transactions overseas and they got quite a bit of money. The bank did refund everything but it took over 3 weeks to get everything back to normal again. The bank told me to only use the debit card at bank ATM's and NOWHERE ELSE! It could have happened online or in any store.