Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hancock's

Blog Entries

Wink Hancock's

Does anyone know if local Hancock's stores are the same as Hancock's of Paducah? I just found out there is a Hancock's that is fairly accessible to me, so hoping it is the same.
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

No, not the same, but Hancock's is a good fabric and craft store too - just more like JoAnns.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Blog Entries
    NO - not the same. As far as I know, Hancock's of Paducah is the one and only store. Just fabric and not the home décor stuff that Hancock's have. HTH
    Nikki in MO

While the stores are not related, their founders were brothers. The Hancock Fabric Center (later to become Hancock's of Paducah) was started by William Hancock in 1952. It is still family owned and operated. Hancock Textiles (later to become the Hancock Fabrics chain) was started in 1955 by William's brother, L. D.

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/content--name-About-Us
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    I didn't know that about the brothers! Local Hancock Fabrics are nice stores and often friendlier than Joann's. They do get in some designer fabrics (Alexander Henry, Robert Kaufman, Wendover) from time to time. They do carry some nice fabrics as well. But just like any other chain fabric store, they can also have some thinner fabrics. It is all in the feel of the fabric! They accept competitor coupons, printed off or straight from your cell phone. If you have a 50% off coupon and the item is on sale for 30% off, they will allow you to use the higher discount off the original price (Joann's will not do that). Hancocks are also trying out new concept stores where they no longer have the home decorating furnishings such as chairs and lamps. It is a store filled with fabric, fabric, fabric! We have one that just opened a month ago and it is fabulous!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

No I do not think they are the same!!!

I shop the Hancock's stores in Mesquite and Tyler Texas. Both stores carry a large selection of fabric. Their sale prices are great and the help is always friendly.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    Hancocks are also trying out new concept stores where they no longer have the home decorating furnishings such as chairs and lamps. It is a store filled with fabric, fabric, fabric! We have one that just opened a month ago and it is fabulous!
    I find that interesting - our Hancocks used to be 90% fabric and has now changed to much more home decorating and crafts

I like my local Hancocks..They have great coupons and accept competitor coupons too...Friendly staff and good quailty

Blog Entries
    Thank you for all your responses. I'll have to go check out the one that is kinda near me. The way they handle coupons sounds good!
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    Does anyone know if local Hancock's stores are the same as Hancock's of Paducah? I just found out there is a Hancock's that is fairly accessible to me, so hoping it is the same.
    They are NOT.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    While the stores are not related, their founders were brothers. The Hancock Fabric Center (later to become Hancock's of Paducah) was started by William Hancock in 1952. It is still family owned and operated. Hancock Textiles (later to become the Hancock Fabrics chain) was started in 1955 by William's brother, L. D.

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/content--name-About-Us
    Thanks for the info!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E