Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand lotion for quilters >

Hand lotion for quilters

Hand lotion for quilters

Old 12-31-2015, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
Dermasil from the Dollar Tree......yep just 1 buck....use to sell for $6 in the big box stores.
Me too! I really like it.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:36 AM

I swear by Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula. "Just a little dab'll do ya," as the ad used to say, and it does indeed disappear quickly, as ClairVoyant mentioned,
Old 01-01-2016, 05:56 AM

My skin tends to be very dry to the point of cracking. In general, I refuse to use any product that contains petroleum jelly--it's a crude oil by-product. YUCK. Several years ago, I began to make my own hand cream using Rosemary Gladstar's recipe (can be googled). In the lotion are aloe juice, water, coconut oil, grapeseed or sweet almond oil that is infused with calendula (in many commercial products--it's great for your skin), beeswax and lanolin. I brought a jar to a quilting retreat and it was used by many who loved it. It is greasy upon application but that quickly goes away leaving a nice feeling. I have not had any cracked fingers since I've made this cream.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:59 AM

I love St. Ives lotions... my favorite one is Oatmeal and Shea Butter. Many times I want to wash my hands after using other lotions because my hands feel greasy and they smell. I never have that reaction with the St. Ives.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:31 AM

I have very dry hands in winter. They crack and bleed, hate that!!! I use Shea butter, working hands and a certain hand cream for gardeners from Crabtree and Evelyn. The Shea butter does not get applied when quilting....greasy! I also try NOT to get my hands wet often. Haha...that never works when you are a wife and mother!
Old 01-01-2016, 06:45 AM

Cetaphil hand cream in the big tub. It's unscented, so it doesn't burn my skin. I buy it at Costco and it lasts for years. I also use it on my legs after I shave.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:01 AM

Melaleuca RENEW intensive skin therapy is the only thing that will keep my hands smooth. I've been using it for more than 10 years, and don't need anything else. I use it on my face also. No cracks or dry spots.

And don't forget about Aloe Vera. From the plant, not from the store. The processed stuff just does not do it. That is the best healer if you get a scratch or cut from anything.
I cut off a piece of leaf, cut it in half to expose the gel and use a piece of tape to hold it on the cut. Leave it there for a day or two, and the cut is GONE. I have dozens of little plants right now. They propagate easily and are very easy to grow. Just don't water too much.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

When I worked as a nurse before I retired my hands were a mess. They would get so cracked they use to bleed. I started using Working Hands by O'Keeffe's. Best stuff I ever used. I still use it.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:33 AM

Two Goats lotion was created by a quilter. http://twooldgoats.com/about/ My MIL suffers from arthritis and she loves this product. I first ordered it from their website, but now I can find it locally at our health food store.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:46 AM

Horse hoof cream. Many lotions need to soak in for a few minutes to lose that greasy feeling.