Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Lotion >

Hand Lotion

Hand Lotion

Old 10-13-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Here is a great hand body lotion to make. I make up a big batch every Christmas for guild members. I buy pretty little tins/jars and everyone loves it. I use it at night and my skin is never dry, not even my feet.

All ingredients are Dollar Store General Brand. You may find the vitamin E cream and Vaseline in smaller jars but use 16oz each.
The clean up is quick and not messy.

Bottle of Baby Lotion (16 ounces)
Jar of Vitamin E Cream (16 ounces)
Jar of Vaseline (16 ounces)

Mix all together with mixer until light and creamy and put in containers.
Went to Dollar tree tonight, couldn't find the Vitamin E cream, but did find lotions with Vitamin E in them. Any suggestions as to where I can find the Vitamin E cream cheap?

Found Cocoa Butter Skin lotion with vitamin E and Cocoa Butter scented Petroleum Jelly, I'm going to try this 2 to 1 and see what happens.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 AM

i use "surgeons secret,"at night. my husbands fingers crack at the sidss of his nails in the winter. if he puts this on before he works..(crane repair) and at night, they stay pretty good all winter.

but i would not use it,before sewing.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:11 AM

Johnson and Johnson has out a relatively new lavender and chamomile scented lotion for stress relief. Smells wonderful....I use it in my classroom since it rubs in quickly and doesn't leave greasy marks on computer or kid's papers.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:30 AM

I use "Two Old Goats Essential Lotion". I was introduced to this lotion by a friend whose niece developed this product a few years ago. She is an avid quilter and the greasiness of many lotions was a problem. It is next to me when I am working on quilts or doing hand needlework because you can apply it and since there is no greasiness, you can immediately continue working without anything getting on your fabric. It is the best product I have found on the market.

I buy it locally, but here is a link to the website - http://www.twooldgoats.com
Old 10-14-2010, 03:32 AM

Gloves in a Bottle. This stuff is great.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:08 AM

The lavendar baby lotion sounds like a great idea.I love the scent of lavendar.thanks.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:28 AM
jsw

Have your husband try putting Vicks on the crack on his hands and cover with adhesive tape. The old fashioned kind works best, but any bandage tape with work. I have used this with success for years. And for hand cream, I like Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturing Cream.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:43 AM

This is why I love this board so much! Not only do I get great quilting advice but now I have several options for keeping my hands nice and soft for the winter and a new recipe for homemade gifts!
Thank you everyone!

My grandmother swore by the vaseline and cotton gloves at night routine and the one thing I vividly remember about her was her soft hands.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:52 AM

Udder cream - will not leave any residue on fabrics at all. I found mine at Wal Mart but had to ask a clerk where to find it.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 AM

Whatever you decide to use, I have always been told and applied lotion in this fashion. First wash your hands in WARM water with whatever hand cleaner you normally use. Then dry your hands until they are no longer wet but still moist THEN apply lotion. What happens is the warm water opens the pores in your hands which allows the lotion to absorb into your skin easier. Good luck.