Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Lotion >

Hand Lotion

Hand Lotion

Old 10-14-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by quilterj
Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Here is a great hand body lotion to make. I make up a big batch every Christmas for guild members. I buy pretty little tins/jars and everyone loves it. I use it at night and my skin is never dry, not even my feet.

All ingredients are Dollar Store General Brand. You may find the vitamin E cream and Vaseline in smaller jars but use 16oz each.
The clean up is quick and not messy.

Bottle of Baby Lotion (16 ounces)
Jar of Vitamin E Cream (16 ounces)
Jar of Vaseline (16 ounces)

Mix all together with mixer until light and creamy and put in containers.
That is just like my recipe only I use 2 baby lotion, 2 Vitamin e cream and 1 vaseline. My husband even likes this lotion.
About what size jars or tins do you put this in and about how many does it make?
Use the Vit E jars the Vasaline jar and about 2 or 3 more small jars.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

I just deal with it, can't stand anything on my hands or feet.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by wendsy
My aunt introduced me to "Old Lady Cream"-she winters in Florida and this was one of their activity projects. Start with a bottle of baby lotion-she got all of her ingredients at Dollar General-add 1 jar of vitamin E cream and 2T of Vaseline then use a mixer and mix well-The mixture is not as greasy as usual hand cream. My mom adds a 2 or 3 tablespoons of lanolin for deep healing.
Where do you get the lanolin?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by flybreit
I have very dry hands, my sweet mother passed 2 years ago - her whole body was dry (she wouldn't drink water!), so we've tried a lot of things:
a little Vaseline on moist hands, rubs in well;
if I'm doing gloves over night I use the disposable latex gloves used for painting, etc;
Surgeon's Secret is wonderful;
one of my all time favorites is from the crazy lady Joan Rivers - her Absolutely Magic hand cream - it's the best! Her Absolutely Magic foot cream is too but I can't find it anywhere any more! The foot cream has dimethicone in it, so if you find hand cream with that as an ingredient, should be very healing.
QVC carries it, 38.50 +5.47 shipping
Oh Beth, I was getting hopeful they were carrying the foot cream again (Joan's web page says it's coming back)! They carry the hand cream but not the foot cream. Thanks for looking though - are you a QVC shopper too?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:13 PM

I use 'baby cream' at night, so I don't have to worry about greasiness. I have exzema on my hands so I win for "sandpaper" hands. This is the only thing I have found that works and does not irritate my exzema. The downside is it is getting harder to find. In a pinch, during the day, I use old fashioned Corn Huskers Lotion. No grease, no color and smells nice too. I have to go to Walgreen's to find it. I hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:40 PM

I have very dry hands, my sweet mother passed 2 years ago - her whole body was dry (she wouldn't drink water!), so we've tried a lot of things:
if I'm doing gloves over night I use the disposable latex gloves used for painting, etc;
one of my all time favorites is from the crazy lady Joan Rivers - her Absolutely Magic hand cream - it's the best! Her Absolutely Magic foot cream is too but I can't find it anywhere any more! The foot cream has dimethicone in it, so if you find hand cream with that as an ingredient, should be very healing.
Oh Beth, I was getting hopeful they were carrying the foot cream again (Joan's web page says it's coming back)! They carry the hand cream but not the foot cream. Thanks for looking though - are you a QVC shopper too?
Not lately, forget about it since I found this place. LOL. I put the name in google and I did see a site that had the foot cream. Can't remember which one though. Just found it. Ebay has some.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:56 PM

a few drops of glycerin works wonders. no greasy residue, inexpensive, and available everywhere. i keep a bottle on my sewing table. hope it works for you. connie
Old 10-14-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by prairiequeen
I have a lot of trouble with the fabric drying my hands. Looking fora hand lotion that will absorb quickly and not leave my hands greasy so I can grip a needle. Whacha got?
"Gloves in a Bottle"

A little goes a long way and it is absolutely greasless!
I rub a dab in right before working with my fabric and have no problem. My local fabric store carries it along with several other brands. A little goes a long way, believe me.

It is hypoallergenic, fragrance and colorant free.
It provides a "shield" on your skin to help keep moisture in and unwanted stuff out.

When I do work in the garden I always use latex free rubber gloves and will often apply a coat of Bag Balm on before putting the rubber gloves on. Bag Balm, being greasy, moisturises my hands while I work in the soil and by the time I take the gloves off, there is no greasiness left. I find the rubber gloves much easier to work with than fabric garden gloves and my hands stay clean and dry - when I'm done I just pitch the rubber gloves. (Also use them for other dirty work around the house.)

They also come in handy when I need to move my quilts around while quilting...
Old 10-14-2010, 09:12 PM

Just checked, "Gloves in a Bottle" has Dimethicone in it also.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:09 PM

My hands and feet get horribly chapped. What we advised our chemo patients with issues on hands and feet was Eucerin Cream. I use it religously just out of the shower on my hands, feet and elbows. Great results if you are consistent!

What works brilliantly is to rub in Eucerin Cream to borth every morning gettin out og the shower.