Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Is hand piecing really becoming extinct?

Hooray for the handpiecers. I did a lot of blocks doing handpiecing and started primarily as something to do on our RV trips. It is peaceful to sit outside and do my stars but the problem is that I cut out so many, that I have too many for a quilt! Now I suppose I will make runners with the extras. I have to sew them into rows now but after I finish my present hand quilting project on my rack. It is truly relaxing and enjoyable.

I used to hand piece and hand quilt, but for the last year I have been doing it by machine. If you compare my old to new, I'm about ready to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by laurieaaron
    I recently visited a quilt guild where it was known that I was a hand piecer. I was very surprised when a woman came up to me and said that she was the only one of the group who handpieced, and the guild had almost 200 members! I am not suggesting a poll (that would be crazy!) but from your experience in your guilds, is handpiecing really that rare? I feel like a dinosaur, :) but a happy handpiecing one! Thank you.
    Hand piecing is 'handy' if you need to travel lightly, and is also convenient for the doctor's waiting room etc, but for me, the majority of the work is done on machine now, as it is the over - all design that I want to achieve and I want to get there quickly. I often have commissions to fill and would not get so many if the clients had to wait for a long time to get the piece or pay the extra price for hand piecing. I still appreciate the beautiful work of someone such as Jinny Beyer, who does it all by hand.

I think more people hand quilt than you think. I have done the " Grandmothers Flower Garden" myself. I do prefer machine quilting now, as it is faster.

Blog Entries
    I am currently hand piecing my 8th bed sized Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. I have also hand quilted all of them. I batse fabric to paper hexagons then go from there. I find this very relaxing and it something handy to take on trips in our RV. I call then my "Law and Order" quilts and it seems I hand sew a lot while my husband sleeps through yet another re-run.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    There is only one in my quilting group.

I love the freedom hand piecing and quilting give me. I can be mobile with my work and love the peaceful feeling I experience when hand quilting. It seems there are more of us antiques out there than we thought. Keep on stitching ladies...

I have a quilt my sister made for me and I am handquilting it. HOWEVER......My poor little arthritic fingers pay for it. I have to limit how long I can stitch before I have to put her down!

I picked up hand piecing with the quilt I'm presently making, and I love it! I can sit down and watch TV as I sew.
    I'll be doing more of this in my next quilts. Its very relaxing after a day at work.

Tomorrow (that's Saturday) the wife and I are trekking to the Lebanon Expo Center in my hometown of Lebanon, PA, to visit the annual Brethren Relief Auction. There you will find one hand-pieced, handmade quilt after another -- made the old school way -- and they are extraordinary! My wife and youngest daughter are the very proud owners owners of quilts from this auction. To say the least, the place is packed ranging from just onlookers, to quilt owner-hopefuls, to those who buy and resell them. They can, and do, auction off for $1,000-plus quite often. My wife (said) she was getting up at 6 a.m. so we can be there for the 9 a.m. start. We shall see -- LOL.
    I haven't been to one in a few years as work always got in the way, but not this year! I would say, even though sparse, hand piecing and hand quilting is far from going extinct.

Terry
    (pedal-powered sewing machines -- the ultimate energy saver!)

Blog Entries
    Hand piecing - huh! I did my very first sampler that way; drew and cut out cardboard (cereal box) templates, traced all on the back of fabrics, pinned, hand stitched, and finally put the sashing in between the blocks to make the top. It is sandwiched and quilted by MACHINE; however, the border in still not finished (shame on me). This quilt was started in 1987 .... need I say more. All my piecing and quilting is done on a sewing machine these days; otherwise I would never get a quilt finished. I love and admire hand work, especially applique, but the only way I even do applique is by fusing and machine stitching with clear thread or with glue and turing the edges with a stick (or fingernail if I have one at the time); I love Sharon Schamber's technique. They look beautiful, but they are not hand stitched. My only hand stitching on my quilts are when I sew the binding on the back of the quilt with the ladder stitch. I think quilting should be fun and relaxing no matter what method the quiter decides to use; if the quilter's happy with the result, that is all that matters, IMHO.

Josi FL

I hand piece and also use the machine. I like the hand piecing because I can take it with me really easily.

Blog Entries
    I belong to a quilting group that gets together every Wed. we hand piece blocks that we put together for a quilt we raffle off for charity each year. Last year we raised over $3,000.00 . Our oldest quilter just turned 95. I love the friendships that are made around the dining room table

Ten or so members of my guild do hand piecing and quilting and several more do hand quilting which has encouraged some of us machiners to try--small projects only for me. Good for take-along.

Blog Entries
    Here in Ms hand quilters and piecers meet on Mon., and Tues. from 9am to 3:30pm for our therapy. We have a great
    time and all the ladies are great friends.
    HERE HAND PIECING AND QUILTING ARE VERY MUCH ALIVE

AND WELL!

I do some times, but not always.

I do!!

To SueKitten1

noticed that you are NEW! Yeah and welcome to QB. Enjoy.

I am recovering from bilateral total knee replacement and thought that this would be a great time to try my hand at hand piecing! I have a block of the month collection which includes applique as well as piecing. I did a 6 1/2 inch block yesterday but will have to rip out a third of it as I am not satisfied with my work! Do I really want to do a WHOLE quilt this way? not sure, but certainly will not be sitting at a machine for quite a while yet!!!

Blog Entries
    This is my first big quilt and it's hand pieced,made about
    8 years ago
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Ps it's quilt as you go --sorry for photo it's nit very good

I don't hand piece all of my quilts, but I do many of them. I find it relaxing, more accurate (for me), and I get more accomplished when I hand piece than when I machine piece. I have a hard time sitting at the sewing machine in the basement for hours on end!

The last quilt I made by hand piecing is this Bear's Paw. I made it while sitting with my mom at home and in the hospital before she died. She had to touch each block and stroke it with her hands. I prepared the pieces in advance and always carried a ziplock bag with me, one block per bag. Each block has a different green print. She loved my quilting, and the memories I have of making this quilt are priceless.

Bears Paw
    Name:  Attachment-115367.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  64.0 KB

I admire those who do hand piece, but i only know one woman who does and it takes her a year or more to finish quilt.

I guess everyone has their own goals. I would much rather enjoy the process of making a gorgeous, well-made quilt that takes several years than crank out lots of quick quilts and be able to say I completed a lot of quilts. Too much in life is done to fast now days...

Quote Originally Posted by Susie42quilter
    Here in Ms hand quilters and piecers meet on Mon., and Tues. from 9am to 3:30pm for our therapy. We have a great
    time and all the ladies are great friends.
    HERE HAND PIECING AND QUILTING ARE VERY MUCH ALIVE

AND WELL!
    Wow! What a great time you must have. No noise of the machines, etc. just time to sew and visit. Treasure what you have with these other ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    I admire those who do hand piece, but i only know one woman who does and it takes her a year or more to finish quilt.
    I also hand piece and hand quilt. I'm doing a queen size now--started in May and it may take me a year but I'm in no hurry. When it gets to the point that I'm in a hurry to finish, it's no longer relaxing and great therapy for me. So I just enjoy the process and will eventually finish the project.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast