Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Piecing Supply Suggestions >

Hand Piecing Supply Suggestions

Hand Piecing Supply Suggestions

Old 03-06-2016, 06:26 AM

Smile Hand Piecing Supply Suggestions

I am a fairly new quilter and I enjoy hand piecing. I would like to hear from those who hand piece what needles they prefer, what is their favorite piecing thimble, and any other notions or supplies that make the process more enjoyable. Thank you.

Last edited by Ditzyprints; 03-06-2016 at 06:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-06-2016, 07:09 AM

I found that my applique needle was slipping through the fabric a little too easily, whereas I need precise control of my needle tip when hand piecing. So I switched to using sharps, which seem to have a thicker middle and I don't have to pull back so much. I also use Thread Heaven, which helps keep my thread from tangling.

The rubber finger tip that I wear to help grip in hand quilting and stitching binding just seems to get in the way when piecing and doing applique. I have no advice on thimbles. I have a hard time keeping a thimble on my middle finger, because my finger tips are so wide and square. In order to get the tip of my finger in the thimble, I have to use a size that is really too big, so it is constantly slipping off.

I use 40 wt. cotton thread when hand piecing.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ditzyprints View Post
I am a fairly new quilter and I enjoy hand piecing. I would like to hear from those who hand piece what needles they prefer, what is their favorite piecing thimble, and any other notions or supplies that make the process more enjoyable. Thank you.
Well, I haven't worked out the needle thing myself, but thin ones I use most. But thimble, I like my leather one, even though a certain puppy tried to claim it as hers. She didn't do too much damage & I like that it is open ended and I can put it further down on my finger.

I only started about about a year ago, & never would have thought I could have done as much as I have!

Happy Stitching
Old 03-06-2016, 07:37 AM

" So I switched to using sharps, which seem to have a thicker middle and I don't have to pull back so much. I also use Thread Heaven, which helps keep my thread from tangling" Joe'smom

thanks Joe'smom. I'll have to look out for Thread Heaven & try to consciously get some sharps in my finger pin cushion.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:38 AM

I don't do much hand piecing but do hand quilt. For a thimble, I use a Thimblelady stainless steel thimble. I think they are reasonably priced for what they are. The fit great if you follow their sizing guide and allow you to push with the pad of your finger vs the tip. I, too, use thread heaven.

I also keep all my hand work supplies in a smallish zippered case. I can keep my needles; small scissors; etc. in that case and it's easy to grab and go or just keep things easily/neatly contained when I'm not working on something.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:51 AM

Thank you for your suggestions Joe's Mom. I have not tried Thread Heaven, and would love to avoid the thread tangles...especially when I am near the end of a seam.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:53 AM

Thank you GramE, do you know what brand of leather thimble it is? I am not familiar with an open ended one. Also, which finger do you wear it on for piecing?
Old 03-06-2016, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I use John James and Roxanne needles, mostly Sharps, if I want a longer needle I use milliners. Shorter I use my appliqué needles. I too use Thread Heaven if using cotton thread. When I use silk thread I don't need it. I always have a hand piecing project in the works!
ive never settled on a thimble - have tried many. They seem to be a very personal choice. Very seldom do I need/ want one; if I do I generally grab my leather one.

Last edited by ckcowl; 03-06-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:55 AM

Thank you NJ Quilter. I hand quilt also and will look into the Thimbelady stainless thimbles...glad they have a good sizing guide.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:57 AM

Thank you ckcowl. I have just started exploring using a longer needle to better stack stitches. Good to know milliners are an option.