Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilter Help Needed >

Hand Quilter Help Needed

Hand Quilter Help Needed

Old 03-18-2014, 11:10 AM

I use a larger round hoop, roughly the distance from my elbow to just past fingers. I also usually pin baste, about a hand-width apart in all directions. When I thread baste, I use about the same distance. Are your puckers on the back side of the quilt only? If you've started in the center and the puckers aren't too bad, you probably don't need to rip out all that much of the quilting provided you've got a couple of inches of backing on all sides of your quilt. I, too, keep the whole sandwich fairly loose in the hoop.

I quilt as much as I can in all directions from the center, re-position the hoop as needed and smooth as I go. Sometimes, I've needed to tug a bit on the bottom layer to remove any small puckers in the process. Sometimes I forget or don't notice them as I'm working and don't discover it until later. Oh well. Usually not so bad that it won't be hidden with the crinkle from washing after.

I don't think I would ever spray or glue baste for hand quilting. As someone else mentioned, I would think the needle would get sticky and not go through all the layers they way it should.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:26 AM

I have used all of the type of frames mentioned. A lot depends on the size of the item being quilted. I have everything from a queen size wooden floor frame to a 8" square plastic snap together, tube frame. I also have two different wooden hoops on a stand. One is perfectly round and the other square with rounded corners. I usually baste with curved safety pins. The smaller portable wooden frames both round and square allow me to quilt while sharing the evening watching TV with my family. They also allow air to travel underneath which makes them comfortable to use even in hot weather.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:28 AM

Hi:

I am a hand quilter and have been for years. I don't know how big your quilt is but mind a full size bed quilts.
I lay mind on the floor and pin them. I have figured out a way that really helps. I put the backing down and then I
lay it out real flat and put safety pins I just stick them into the carpet as I will be moving them again. I make sure my backing is nice and taught and no wrinkles. Then I lay out the batting on top and then as I go around the quilt I remove the pins one at a time and poke them into the batting all the way around. Then I put the quilt top on and I leave the pins that are sticking in the batting there for now. I then start in the center and pin the 3 pieces together
When they are all pined and I use a lot of pins I then go and take out the pins that are sticking in the batting. That took care of any puckers. I use a hand quilt frame my husband made it for me it is made out of plastic PVC pipe.
It is real easy to assemble and take down and takes up hardly little to no room.
I am glad to hear that there are still some hand quilters out there I am seeing that there is not as much hand quilting thread in the stores.

Happy quilting.
eunice
care
Old 03-18-2014, 11:29 AM

I agree with the suggestions that have been given. Look and see how bad it is and if you really need to rip it all out. Maybe just an area and you can "ease in" the extra fabric. Keep at it. I prefer to thread baste when I hand quilt just so don't have to think about the pins in the hoop.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:32 PM

I quilt with a 16 inch hoop that's attached to a stand that sits in my lap. I haven't had any trouble with puckering so far. I would try thread basting a little heavier and see if that doesn't help. If you decide to spray baste I would use 505 spray it doesn't gum up your needle.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:11 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I hand baste with long stitches using a very contrasting thread (which I agree is fun to pull out ). Takes only a few hours or less and I feel much more secure with this method than any of the others, all of which I've tried at some point.
I use a 16 - 18" hoop which I remove when I am not quilting, starting from the middle and working out.

Jan in VA
Old 03-18-2014, 01:34 PM

you'll have to try things and see what works for you. I don't use safety pins because they're heavy and moving the quilt on the frame w/out the extra weight is heavy enough. LOL!!

Glue??? i can't even imagine because i can see it getting in the way while i'm quilting.

after all that - I do thread baste and i use extra embroidery floss that i no longer use. My frame is a floor frame that is roughly 24x36. I have used a round hoop - it's probably24" - i usually prop it on the back of another chair or wedge it next to me and the corner of the arm of the couch.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:50 PM

Thank you for all of the great advise. I knew I could count on all of you and all your knowledge.

I will have to try a few things and see what happens.

Diane