Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilter qnd hand piecing >

hand quilter qnd hand piecing

hand quilter qnd hand piecing

Old 08-27-2009, 09:48 PM

I usually have at least one of each going on at the same time.

I also am prone to include ties and stitching in the same quilt.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:53 AM

Quilt Mania,

I, too, am handpiecing a GFG quilt and intend to hand quilt it as well. I do have a question--how are you doing your border? Do you "half" the flower so the edges are all even and then applique the hexagons to a border? I saw one done at a quilt show and the person filled in with a solid color of hexagons in order to make it even and the border showed flowers going up the sides (on stems) and they used the smaller hexagon template (I have all sizes). It was beautiful and different. Will look for an answer.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:31 AM

SSTeacher,
The GFG I have is from a kit. (Bought it in Lancaster so I'd have something to do while DH was at a conference.) It is white in the center, blue paisley in the next ring and red in the third ring. I made the blocks and then started with one block in the center, added a circle of blocks around it, then did another circle of blocks around that. I'm not going to do a border. I'm going to be a little lazy about the binding if possible. My intention is to go to Joann's and buy either bias tape or prepackaged quilt binding and do it that way.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by jojo
I am currently hand quilting a pink, yellow, and cream twin quilt. My mother in law helped, too, when she was visiting. I am having trouble finding a thread I like for hand quilting. Seems like it is either too thick (stiff) or too thin. What do you use?

I, too, quilt when I am on vacation and my husband is driving. It's great to come home with something I've made. Even if it isn't finished, I usually get a lot of it done.

Also, have you noticed that walmart doesn't have fairfield batting lately?
i use coat hand quilting cotton to do hand quilting your thread will be a little thick cause they are coated so your thread can go through easy and wrap it twice around your needle so the knot can pop in easy no i haven't notice about the batting i get my batting at hobby lobby
but heard a lots of walmart not going to have a fabric department
Old 08-28-2009, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
SSTeacher,
The GFG I have is from a kit. (Bought it in Lancaster so I'd have something to do while DH was at a conference.) It is white in the center, blue paisley in the next ring and red in the third ring. I made the blocks and then started with one block in the center, added a circle of blocks around it, then did another circle of blocks around that. I'm not going to do a border. I'm going to be a little lazy about the binding if possible. My intention is to go to Joann's and buy either bias tape or prepackaged quilt binding and do it that way.
didn't know you can buy gfg in kits but mine i thinking when i get it done if ever i'm going to even the side up and put a binding on it too
Old 08-28-2009, 07:26 AM

That really sounds different and I know it is beautiful. Would love to see a posted picture. I used a yellow center, solid color, third circle is made from 1930's reproductions, of course, many different prints. I chose a solid to coincide with the print, e.g., pink, blue, lavendar, green, etc. You are not being lazy about the binding--probably prett smart. I am not too far from getting it put together. Have a few more flowers to do. We visit Lancaster about twice a year since I am from Shamokin, PA. We live in VA.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:32 PM

Thanks elsie, I'll keep practicing. I noticed that the smaller the needle, the smaller the stitches!

Also, about the gfg quilts, my mom made one when I was very little and I have tried and tried to remember the edge, but can't. I'll be interested to see what you do with yours. I have been thinking I should start one so that I ahve work to take with me at a moment's notice.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by jojo
Thanks elsie, I'll keep practicing. I noticed that the smaller the needle, the smaller the stitches!

Also, about the gfg quilts, my mom made one when I was very little and I have tried and tried to remember the edge, but can't. I'll be interested to see what you do with yours. I have been thinking I should start one so that I ahve work to take with me at a moment's notice.
i don't have mine done but it been two yrs since i work on it need to do it so i can get it done
Old 08-29-2009, 01:37 AM

Well Elsie, two years is not long--mine has been ongoing for 6 years. I have made quilts and quilted projects in between that time and just pick the GFG up when at doctor appointments with my husband, etc. or watching sports on TV. I, too, love the handquilting part of quilting. I did get away from hand piecing but that was fun too; however, not as fast. Will send a picture if I can figure out how to do that. It looks like you go to "Img" and insert.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:28 AM

you know i seen a picture on a site that the person just some how cut the batting and back the same way as the top and sew it down but i don't think i can do that .but there is site that you can look and see how they end theirs i like looking at them