Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilter question >

Hand quilter question

Hand quilter question

Old 08-05-2011, 09:45 AM

I purchased a box of SwinglineŽ Rubber Fingertips from one of the office supply stores (it was under $3 for 12). I wear one on my right index finger, it helps to pull the needle and prevents the needle from slicing the fingertip.

On my left hand, I wear one on my middle finger, you can tell that the needle has gone through the fabric yet the needle doesn't stab over and over.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Because of diminished sensitivity in my hands I don't use a thimble. Have tried to many times, but it seems no matter which finger I put the thimble I always end up using another finger to push the needle!

I've tried using several thimbles at a time , beat myself at my own game so to speak....doesn't work well at all, it merely confuses me (as if *that* were so hard to accomplish!) :? :cry:

When I hand quilt, which is often in the colder months, I start off for just a short while each night, until I build up a callus on the under fingers - index, middle, ringer - then I can often quilt for hours without any thimble at all, top or bottom.
I admire those of you who can and do make beautiful stitches with thimbles on your hands!:mrgreen:

Jan in VA
Old 08-06-2011, 07:49 PM

I have tried Aunt Becky and couldn't use it, the needle slipped off of it and made big stitches, and I didn't try very long with that. I also read about Jinny Beyer using a spoon so I wanted to try that. Before spending the money, and not knowing if it would work or not, I found an old spoon in my drawer and had my husband cut off about 2 inches off the handle, I then put a soft rubber thing that is made to go on a pencil for comfort, on what was left of the spoon. It works great!! I can really get going when I use it. Because that worked so well I decided to buy the "T J quilters spoon", but I don't like it near as well as my homemade quilters spoon, the angle of the bowl is different and it isn't as comfortable to use as mine is.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:09 PM

I use my index and middle fingernails on the hand underneath...I try and put several coats of clear polish on, as a "buffer", then when all dry, get to quilting...I have to say not sure is the best thing to do, but it beats getting poked for me...i just can't seem to quilt unless I can "feel" the tip of the needle. I sure wish I could use some sort of cover, tho...good thing I have never been a gal who gets manicures... :-D
Old 08-07-2011, 11:03 AM

I don't use a thimble either, I have calluses built up since I'm working on a quilt currently. LOL I'm looking into a leather one though, I've heard they work well. I also do what the others do, and rotate fingers.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by arbed31
I purchased a box of SwinglineŽ Rubber Fingertips from one of the office supply stores (it was under $3 for 12). I wear one on my right index finger, it helps to pull the needle and prevents the needle from slicing the fingertip.

On my left hand, I wear one on my middle finger, you can tell that the needle has gone through the fabric yet the needle doesn't stab over and over.
I use the rubber fingers too.. I have even found some similar at the quilting store for wearing when guiding machine quilting. They are light enough that you can feel through them and really protect well and inprove grip!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:46 PM

I want to feel the needle underneath, but just barely, not hard enough to poke myself. If it hurts me then I went to far & have big stitches.(Worse than a sore finger! ;0 ) I use a thimble with 'dimples' on the end of it on my middle finger. Where I have trouble is with my English PP GFG. I do have my thimble on but my ring finger starts getting sore from holding the back side of the needle. I've taken to putting those small plastic dots on that finger. Two thimbles would be confusing!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:02 PM

I usually don't use anything and eventuality my finger will calluse. I've used the little metal stick on "tacks" and also have wrapped my finger with that cloth medical tape
Old 08-26-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by marscrafter
I don't use a thimble either, I have calluses built up since I'm working on a quilt currently. LOL I'm looking into a leather one though, I've heard they work well. I also do what the others do, and rotate fingers.
I tried a leather one and it worked really well, but wasn't very snug, so it slipped around a lot. I eventually ended up putting a band-aid around the bottom as a means of taping it to my finger! That worked well, but my finger got hot. Geez, I'm particular!

My thimble of choice now is a pink plastic thimble that has an opening on the top for my nail. It fits snug without choking my finger and works beautifully!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:03 PM

I use the Liuxin Newman method--no need to develop callouses on any fingers at all.

She also sells silicon fingers to put on the index finger to help pull the needle through. What I like about them is that there's a little patch you cut out of them where your fingernail is, which helps prevent them from feeling sweaty.

I seem to be plateau'd at 8 stitches per inch but I haven't had much time to practise--too busy reading and learning!