Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Hand Quilter

  1. #1
    Senior Member Elsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    central Illinois
    Posts
    923
    Blog Entries
    1
    I love hand quilting also hand piecing . In hand quilting i use all cotton fabric and thread i like cotton but sometimes can't get cotton i will use poly,cotton in thread love to set watch t.v and hand quilt in the spring i love setting outside and do my work i use 10 or 11 needles sometimes i love to watch other doing hand quilting on the you tube . so let us all know how you like doing your work and when and were love too here

  2. #2
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,411
    Blog Entries
    10
    I am starting on what I am calling a cookie cutter quilt :lol: It is applique that I sewed down by machine but am hand quilting it and doing it in the style of a quilt as you go - 30s fabric on a muslin background - hope this works out the way I picture it in my mind :roll: LOL

  3. #3
    Senior Member Elsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    central Illinois
    Posts
    923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    I am starting on what I am calling a cookie cutter quilt :lol: It is applique that I sewed down by machine but am hand quilting it and doing it in the style of a quilt as you go - 30s fabric on a muslin background - hope this works out the way I picture it in my mind :roll: LOL
    love to see it sharon b

  4. #4
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    post a picture for us so we can see what you have done on it, please

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    I am starting on what I am calling a cookie cutter quilt :lol: It is applique that I sewed down by machine but am hand quilting it and doing it in the style of a quilt as you go - 30s fabric on a muslin background - hope this works out the way I picture it in my mind :roll: LOL

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,345
    This is the place where I sit for hours to work on my quilts! I like to watch/hear the TV or listen to music while I quilt. It's one of my favourite places in our little house...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Super Member Diana Lynne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    east coast of SC
    Posts
    1,206
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsie
    I love hand quilting also hand piecing . In hand quilting i use all cotton fabric and thread i like cotton but sometimes can't get cotton i will use poly,cotton in thread love to set watch t.v and hand quilt in the spring i love setting outside and do my work i use 10 or 11 needles sometimes i love to watch other doing hand quilting on the you tube . so let us all know how you like doing your work and when and were love too here
    I really love doing hand quilting, its relaxing (even when I make mistakes) :-D ..Most of the time, I quilt while watching tv with my family..Just started quilting around the end of Nov so a newbie here but I have a feeling that quilting is something that I am going to love and enjoy for a long long time..

  7. #7
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,913
    I too like to handquilt while listening to the radio or TV. I love any kind of handwork, esp. applique although I don't do it too often.

  8. #8
    Power Poster dkabasketlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    10,215
    I usually set in the family room with my DH while he's watching tv. I find it very relaxing when I'm hand quilting. I'm currently working on a quilt for my older brother and hope to have it done by his b-day in Nov. It's a surprise for him so I'm not on a timeline to get it done(I don't like to quilt under pressure).

  9. #9
    Senior Member Elsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    central Illinois
    Posts
    923
    Blog Entries
    1
    love it wish i had a place to set and look that way

  10. #10
    Senior Member Elsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    central Illinois
    Posts
    923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsie
    I love hand quilting also hand piecing . In hand quilting i use all cotton fabric and thread i like cotton but sometimes can't get cotton i will use poly,cotton in thread love to set watch t.v and hand quilt in the spring i love setting outside and do my work i use 10 or 11 needles sometimes i love to watch other doing hand quilting on the you tube . so let us all know how you like doing your work and when and were love too here
    I really love doing hand quilting, its relaxing (even when I make mistakes) :-D ..Most of the time, I quilt while watching tv with my family..Just started quilting around the end of Nov so a newbie here but I have a feeling that quilting is something that I am going to love and enjoy for a long long time..
    it is relaxing you will enjoy it more you do better and you get better stitches as you keep on going on the hand quilting keep it up

  11. #11
    Senior Member Elsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    central Illinois
    Posts
    923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    I usually set in the family room with my DH while he's watching tv. I find it very relaxing when I'm hand quilting. I'm currently working on a quilt for my older brother and hope to have it done by his b-day in Nov. It's a surprise for him so I'm not on a timeline to get it done(I don't like to quilt under pressure).
    i know what you mean hand quilting is to take your time if you need something quick machine quilt is the way i am not to good on machine but it not bad

  12. #12
    Senior Member Hinterland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    This is the place where I sit for hours to work on my quilts! I like to watch/hear the TV or listen to music while I quilt. It's one of my favourite places in our little house...
    It looks lovely, Andrea. Very cozy - and no snow on the ground!

    Janet

  13. #13
    Super Member LivelyLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    2,680
    I love doing hand quilting and applique. Besides being so relaxing, it is portable. I always have a project in tote ready to either sit in front of the tv, traveling, or just waiting on someone.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Elsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    central Illinois
    Posts
    923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    I love doing hand quilting and applique. Besides being so relaxing, it is portable. I always have a project in tote ready to either sit in front of the tv, traveling, or just waiting on someone.
    yes i do too and i always got some hand piecing in small plactic white container to see what in them so i can pick what i want to do

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    It looks lovely, Andrea. Very cozy - and no snow on the ground!

    Janet
    Right - the snow has gone a few days after New Year's Day. We have had very frosty nights since then, but no more snow.

  16. #16
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,411
    Blog Entries
    10
    Ok I have started another post about these but here are some pics of the cookie cutter quilt I am working on :lol:

    the front
    Name:  Attachment-161470.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  52.6 KB

    you can see the hand quilting better here
    Name:  Attachment-161471.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  49.3 KB

  17. #17
    Senior Member Elsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    central Illinois
    Posts
    923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Ok I have started another post about these but here are some pics of the cookie cutter quilt I am working on :lol:
    sharon b they look nice you use cookie cutter to cut them and also is that a blanket stitch you are doing and are you going to hand quilt it by block or put it all together then hand quilt it

  18. #18
    bev195000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    STAFFORDSHIRE
    Posts
    223
    I too hand quilt everything i make i do have a sewing machine but it gathers dust up in the sewing room, I find hand quilting very therapeutic i also quit whilst watching TV or DVD on comp.
    The youtube vids are good to watch and learn certain hints and tips on quilting there is always something new to learn.
    Addictive hobby and very satisfying as well

  19. #19
    Senior Member Elsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    central Illinois
    Posts
    923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by bev195000
    I too hand quilt everything i make i do have a sewing machine but it gathers dust up in the sewing room, I find hand quilting very therapeutic i also quit whilst watching TV or DVD on comp.
    The youtube vids are good to watch and learn certain hints and tips on quilting there is always something new to learn.
    Addictive hobby and very satisfying as well
    i agree with you a doctor told me keep on hand quilting and piecing i got a little arthritis in them he said it good for them so they won't stiff up but i do a hour and then do exercise or walk aound for awhile then go back to it but i do machine too

  20. #20
    Senior Member Elsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    central Illinois
    Posts
    923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Ok I have started another post about these but here are some pics of the cookie cutter quilt I am working on :lol:
    hey sharon did you every got the cookie cutter quilt done

  21. #21
    Junior Member Lobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    228
    I hand-sew everything, I still can't use a machine. One of these days I'll learn, but meanwhile I can't afford lessons and I am madly in love with hand-sewing anyway.

    I piece sitting at my sewing desk, and usually quilt sitting up in bed, though sometimes on the sofa. Like many people, I started out vastly preferring piecing to quilting. I decided to make an effort to learn to like quilting, as I didn't want to neglect half the craft. Just doing it more helped, and then I discovered Welsh quilting and found something that really speaks to me. I'm now genuinely as happy to quilt as to piece, and am starting to work on the quilting motifs much earlier in the design process.

    I use #11 sharps for piecing, #11 big eye betweens for standard quilting, and #9 betweens for quilting with thicker thread. I started off with the usual quilting threads, and have got my stitches down to a reasonable size, but rather missed being able to see the stitching clearly. I'm quilting my current quilt with #8 perle, and I'm delighted with how it looks as well as the fact that it's quicker to do. It's more awkward in a few ways, though, burying the knot can be a nightmare for instance, particularly when I'm quilting over more densely-woven fabric such as a batik.

  22. #22
    Super Member Diana Lynne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    east coast of SC
    Posts
    1,206
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobster
    I hand-sew everything, I still can't use a machine. One of these days I'll learn, but meanwhile I can't afford lessons and I am madly in love with hand-sewing anyway.

    I piece sitting at my sewing desk, and usually quilt sitting up in bed, though sometimes on the sofa. Like many people, I started out vastly preferring piecing to quilting. I decided to make an effort to learn to like quilting, as I didn't want to neglect half the craft. Just doing it more helped, and then I discovered Welsh quilting and found something that really speaks to me. I'm now genuinely as happy to quilt as to piece, and am starting to work on the quilting motifs much earlier in the design process.

    I use #11 sharps for piecing, #11 big eye betweens for standard quilting, and #9 betweens for quilting with thicker thread. I started off with the usual quilting threads, and have got my stitches down to a reasonable size, but rather missed being able to see the stitching clearly. I'm quilting my current quilt with #8 perle, and I'm delighted with how it looks as well as the fact that it's quicker to do. It's more awkward in a few ways, though, burying the knot can be a nightmare for instance, particularly when I'm quilting over more densely-woven fabric such as a batik.
    What is Welsh quilting? I too love to hand quilt especially small (to medium) hand items...There is something so soothing about hand quilting, to me it is so relaxing..Here is a picture of a quilt that I made for a friend..all of it is hand quilted..this is just the top but its been sandwiched and quilted
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    Junior Member Lobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    228
    Wales has a strong quilting tradition that is markedly different to general American quilting. The patchwork is nice but not terribly exciting, simple medallion-based designs generally. The quilting, on the other hand, is absolutely stunning, with designs based on spirals, leaves, hearts, flowers, geometric patterns, and it works in both traditional and modern quilts. Welsh quilting was mainly done by professionals, and it really shows in the quality of the designs. My turquoise/green baby quilt (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-145562-1.htm) uses American piecing and Welsh quilting. If you want to see more Welsh quilting, just put it into Google Image, or alternatively buy this book, which I recommend strongly: http://www.amazon.com/Making-Welsh-Q...3575156&sr=8-1. While American patchwork has an incredible range, I never warmed to American quilting designs, and in particular I absolutely hate feathers, so finding a quilting tradition that works for me was fantastic.

  24. #24
    Super Member Diana Lynne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    east coast of SC
    Posts
    1,206
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobster
    Wales has a strong quilting tradition that is markedly different to general American quilting. The patchwork is nice but not terribly exciting, simple medallion-based designs generally. The quilting, on the other hand, is absolutely stunning, with designs based on spirals, leaves, hearts, flowers, geometric patterns, and it works in both traditional and modern quilts. Welsh quilting was mainly done by professionals, and it really shows in the quality of the designs. My turquoise/green baby quilt (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-145562-1.htm) uses American piecing and Welsh quilting. If you want to see more Welsh quilting, just put it into Google Image, or alternatively buy this book, which I recommend strongly: http://www.amazon.com/Making-Welsh-Q...3575156&sr=8-1. While American patchwork has an incredible range, I never warmed to American quilting designs, and in particular I absolutely hate feathers, so finding a quilting tradition that works for me was fantastic.
    Thank you so much..I looked at your quilt, its breath taking, its so beautiful! I am going to check into the welsh quilting and into the book that you suggested..Thank you again

  25. #25
    Junior Member Lobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    228
    Thank you, and woo hoo, another convert! I'm hoping to build up a collection of quilts with American patchwork and Welsh quilting, and then turn them into a book. At the rate of hand-quilting, you may want to give me a few years on that one. Meanwhile, here are a couple of excellent blogs on Welsh quilting:

    http://welshquilts.blogspot.com/
    http://www.littlewelshquiltsandother....blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.