Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hand quilting: achieving high stitch-per-inch count >
  • Hand quilting: achieving high stitch-per-inch count

• Hand quilting: achieving high stitch-per-inch count

Old 08-22-2011, 07:05 PM

I think I will. I love to embroider and applique. Just have technical difficulties with the quilt stitch.
    Originally Posted by butterflies5518
    Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
    I have tried to hand quilt off and on for a long time and it looks terrible. I really have a problem with tying off. So - - - I have signed up for a class later this fall and hope to pick up some good tips and techniques to take the frustration out. Fall will be perfect because it will start getting cold and feel good to have a quilt in my lap. I feel that having someone show me will work much better than trying to learn from books - that's just the kind of learner I am. Show me once or explain 100 times. Wish me luck.
    Me too! I took a hand quilting class Saturday and by "seeing" it, I can visualize her words and movements. I just started practicing this weekend and am hooked, you will be too, enjoy!
    Old 08-22-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
    I tried Aunt Becky...just couldn't get the hang of it. WIsh I could though...I have quite a callous on my under hand middle finger.
    Yes, I've developed quite a callous as well.

I tried loosening the tension way up tonight, and it made a big difference in my stitches. Think I'll keep doing the rest of this quilt the same way I have been so it doesn't look strange, but plan to implement all of these tips on the next one and see what happens! : )
    Old 08-22-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
    I tried Aunt Becky...just couldn't get the hang of it. WIsh I could though...I have quite a callous on my under hand middle finger.
    You might be interested in Liuxin Newman's book, _Perfect Hand Quilting Without Pain_.

She developed a method of quilting that does not rely on feeling for the needle underneath the quilt. So far as I understand it, she teaches how to use one's proprioceptive sense for how far to push the needle to make the correct length stitches.

Proprioception is the sense that tells you where you have moved a body part without looking at it and without using your sense of touch. For instance, proprioception is what lets you know when you have raised your foot high enough to step up a stairstep without feeling for the step. If you have normal mobility, you just sense how far to lift your foot without any need to see it or feel the edge of the step.

Since proprioception doesn't rely on the sense of touch, you never have to feel for the point of the needle.

Liuxin Newman can quilt 14-16 stitches per inch (counted on one side); using her methods, I've gone from about 6 stitches per inch to 10 stitches per inch in just 4 hours of practise.

Anyway, don't take my explanation for it because Ms Newman explains way better than I do! Her book is well worth it, in my opinion.
    Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 AM

Liuxin Newman's book, _Perfect Hand Quilting Without Pain_.

I went looking for this yesterday and could not find somewhere in the U.S.A. to buy it with the DVD. I know her site said she would mail it free, but I figured that did not mean overseas, since she is not here. Where did ya'll get yours? The book is so old is why I couldn't find it.
    Old 08-23-2011, 08:13 AM
    mim

I'm going to practice more on small pieces. I've never achieved 12 stitches -- sometimes I want to have less -- 8 to 10 to achieve a look.

And I love the Japanese shashiko look with the larger threads
    Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by marcias
    Liuxin Newman's book, _Perfect Hand Quilting Without Pain_.

I went looking for this yesterday and could not find somewhere in the U.S.A. to buy it with the DVD. I know her site said she would mail it free, but I figured that did not mean overseas, since she is not here. Where did ya'll get yours? The book is so old is why I couldn't find it.
    Yeah, she means free overseas shipping as well. My guess is that a significant percentage of her business is with USAns.

I ordered some needles and finger gripper thingies from her, got free shipping and it only took 10 days to arrive in Iowa, which I thought was pretty amazing from Australia.

I got my book and DVD from Connecting Threads, um, more than six years ago. I don't think CT is carrying her stuff any more, which is a pity.
    Old 08-23-2011, 01:54 PM

The book is on amazon.com new and used.
    Old 08-23-2011, 05:00 PM

Love all these hints! Thanks to everyone!
    Old 08-23-2011, 05:37 PM

Not to change the subject but proprioceptive sense has got to be how, when we're ready to sit on the toilet seat,we realize it's not there but we can't stop ourselves.

I've always wondered how that thought process kicked in.

Now back to handquilting, which I love. Please excuse the interruption.
    Old 08-23-2011, 07:59 PM

Try square dancing in an elementary school and visiting the ladies room, can't see because the skirt is out so big, expecting the seat to be there and it isn't, having a free fall moment until you realize, it's lower because of it being a grade school. Never knew the name for it. LOL