Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand quilting with Aunt Becky

Has anyone done the hand quilting method using aunt becky? I watched a video that was posted here on the board. Have sent away for the thimble and aunt becky.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    No but I'd love your input when you get them. I love hand quilting ;)

Blog Entries
    I've had the gal show me at least twice - oh she makes it look soooo easy. Then, when I get home and try - bupkus! I can't get the hang of moving the guide and not the needle. Takes practice I suppose.

It takes some practice, but I like mine.

I would love to know how this works. My hand quilting is bad. I have a tough time with learning the rocking method. Maybe this would be a better fit for me.

I went on the board and found it under the hand quilting posts.
    Can't remember the name, but will look it up and let you know.

okay here goes. go to quilterstv.com on the right side you will see video channels, click on heartlan/shar then click on browse videos. scroll down to #13 for the hand quilting video using aunt becky. hope these are the correct directions.

Blog Entries
    I signed up for the newsletter of a different LQS which is really close to my work and Jean Brown is teaching an Aunt Becky techniques class on the 16th. I talked with Pat and he thinks I need to sign up. He's right because I have a small quilt that his great-gran did and it NEEDS to be hand-quilted. So it looks like I get to at least practice with Aunt Becky the correct way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
    I would love to know how this works. My hand quilting is bad. I have a tough time with learning the rocking method. Maybe this would be a better fit for me.
    Well, I took the class tonight and it will take some practice to get the stitches even but nothing was rocking by the time I left. It is so hard for the brain to tell the hands to stop doing their normal routine and change to the Aunt Becky method instead. But there is hope - now!

I would need the REAL Aunt Becky to be at my house to be able to hand quilt. I give you hand quilters credit, my stitches only look good when hidden under the fabric. I made one lap quilt completely by hand, even bought the aunt Becky but was not happy with my stitches so I tacked down the quilt at points when I could hide the threads. Turned out great, but still can't hand quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trif
    Turned out great
    That's what matters. I won't become a hand-quilter either but I have to give it a shot.

I looked at the video several times and tried very hard with my aunt becky.............no way!?
    I think the main reason is that she in not making any utility quilts "only" decorative once (she mentions that in the video) and therefore uses very thin batting.
    Did they say something about the batting in the class you took?
    Granny

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granny_59
    I looked at the video several times and tried very hard with my aunt becky.............no way!?
    I think the main reason is that she in not making any utility quilts "only" decorative once (she mentions that in the video) and therefore uses very thin batting.
    Did they say something about the batting in the class you took?
    Granny
    Yes, she said it works best with low loft batting. I use Warm and Natural so that would work fine. The quilt I will be hand-finishing is going to be hung - not used.

Thanks for the link to the video. I watched it and thouhgt it was a great idea. But upon 'searching' the site for AUnt Becky I could not find where to purchase one. Doean anyone know where?
    thanks

I am trying to learn to use the Aunt Becky and it will take time and practice, parctice, practice. I put together a small piece and try to do a little every day. I have been hand quilting for almost 30 years, and my hands seem to be in charge and don't like change. I will persist.
    You can find the Aunt Becky and Connecting Threads. Good Luck. Pam

Quote Originally Posted by LAQUITA
    Thanks for the link to the video. I watched it and thouhgt it was a great idea. But upon 'searching' the site for AUnt Becky I could not find where to purchase one. Doean anyone know where?
    thanks
    I have an aunt becky frame and finger protector I have never used. I have decided I will never be a hand quilter. I am willing to sell it. Let me know if you are interested.