Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Piecing or Quilting??

Which do you love the most, piecing or quilting?

I love piecing a quilt top. I love feeling the texture of the quilt shop quality fabric, and working with the beautiful colors and designs. But, most especially how the block looks when you match and blend those pieces into a beautiful piece of art.

I have a lap sized quilt top I made last year, but never quilted. Now, it's just not practical for me to pay someone to quilt it. I mean, after all, I can get it quilted myself on my own sewing machine. But I absolutely hate it! I worked on quilting it Saturday, Sunday and every evening this week! I'm sure I'll like it when it's done, but it is taking forever!

Piecing!!!! I'm not very good at the quilting part!

I do all my own quilts, I can't afford to pay someone to have mine quilted for me.
    Though I do have a quilt for my bed that when I get it put together I may finally send it out to be done.

Blog Entries
    I love both processes. Because I hand quilt I already have the mindset that it's going to take a long time so I just go with the flow. If I machine quilted I think I probably would lose my mind because I expect it to be faster but it's never as fast as I expect it to be. :lol: I think my most dreaded part is the sandwiching...

Quilting! I only piece to have something to quilt.

I love the piecing I call it painting with my fabrics

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Planning. Piecing is OK and I am signed up for a bunch of quilting classes to hopefully get better at it.

Blog Entries
    Piecing and Quilting, as long as we don't have to discuss binding.

Piecing - I have a number of quilt tops waiting for me to quilt them. Wish I could afford to send them out..but can't.

I like piecing MUCH better.

Piecing is fun! Quilting is becoming more fun and I don't mind binding.

Quilting! I dearly love hand work! I have so many ideas that I'm thinking seriously about FMQ. I've just started piecing. Who has time to do it all?

Piecing! Since I'm a newbie quilting is intimidating!

I am machine quilting and you are right, I expected it to go much faster and it is not!

I don't think I'm good at the quilting part either, so that's part of why I don't enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Piecing!!!! I'm not very good at the quilting part!

I do all my own quilts, I can't afford to pay someone to have mine quilted for me.
    Though I do have a quilt for my bed that when I get it put together I may finally send it out to be done.

How interesting that I don't mind the binding. Maybe we should trade out! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Piecing and Quilting, as long as we don't have to discuss binding.

I love both processes. Piecing to see the pattern come alive and quilting (I hand quilt) to see the whole quilt come alive.
    Colleen

Blog Entries
    Piecing - I always put off quilting in favor of piecing. For a while I dreamed of having a long arm thinking that would be a solution. But it's not gonna happen due to space and financial limitations. I felt guilty about sending them out. Then it occurred to me that I could send a whole lot of quilts to a LAQ for the amount I'd spend for a machine. So I've given myself permission to send them put.

Funny! You sound like me. We can look at the money we are saving by paying someone else to quilt instead of buying a long arm. Why, we're practically making money from this plan! :)

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Piecing - I always put off quilting in favor of piecing. For a while I dreamed of having a long arm thinking that would be a solution. But it's not gonna happen due to space and financial limitations. I felt guilty about sending them out. Then it occurred to me that I could send a whole lot of quilts to a LAQ for the amount I'd spend for a machine. So I've given myself permission to send them put.

Blog Entries
    The part I dread most is deciding what pattern and fabric to use. Once I pass that hurdle, I enjoy piecing my "masterpiece" and then quilting it. I guess I am strange in that I actually enjoy sewing the binding on. I do almost everything by machine and just that little bit of hand work is a nice change of pace.

love both depending on mood

I like both... the piecing for the development of the quilt and the quilting to complete the birth of my art

Piecing definitely! I don't like to quilt because I don't have the right sewing machine to do it properly unless it is a wall size quilt. I do love to sew binding on...yes that is weird however to me it is wonderful relaxing mindless work that I can do at night in front of the TV.

I have to say I thought I loved so piecing so much - that nothing would ever take it's place.

Then I got a longarm. Now I have to say that I love quilting so much more than I love piecing.

The draw is the freedom to add the texture that makes an already beautiful top come alive. It's that little something extra that makes one sit up and notice, and wonder, and come closer to check it out, that attracts me. I'm always thinking, 'How can I make it even better?'. I adore quilting :) It's a constant challenge!

I love piecing...probably because I'm not very good at FMQ. I can do SITD and diagonal quilting but don't enjoy the process as much as putting the pieces together.

HOWEVER...I've been cheating on the quilting :) I've found some great quilt designs to use on my embroidery machine!! I just finished a table runner today for a friend and the quilting is gorgeous!

My favorite is which ever I am doing at the time (except binding).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast