Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing or Quilting?? >

Piecing or Quilting??

Piecing or Quilting??

Old 09-16-2010, 11:46 AM

I enjoy the piecing! Halfway through one top I see my next project and can.t wait to get started!! I have a wonderful longarmer friend who set up her business a few years ago. I leave my tops with her(I usually supply backing and binding) I leave the designs to her she.s the expert!! She.s never let me down and has done 25/30 for me so far. She attaches the binding to the front then I just slipstitch when I get them back. To me it is worth every penny and makes my quilts special rather than just OK.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Piecing- I love planning ,picking out fabrics and sewing them together. After that they pretty much sit on a shelf. I think the real problem is I am afraid to try the rest of the process.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:27 PM

I know if I had a longarm I would really enjoy the quilting part. I've rented time on the longarm at my LQS and Loved seeing the whole project quilted in a beautiful design and being able to do it all at one time. I am happy for you that you have one.

Originally Posted by dgmoby
I have to say I thought I loved so piecing so much - that nothing would ever take it's place.

Then I got a longarm. Now I have to say that I love quilting so much more than I love piecing.

The draw is the freedom to add the texture that makes an already beautiful top come alive. It's that little something extra that makes one sit up and notice, and wonder, and come closer to check it out, that attracts me. I'm always thinking, 'How can I make it even better?'. I adore quilting :) It's a constant challenge!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:29 PM

If I were retired, I'd gladly foot the bill for the shipping. It's actually not that much, around $10 - $20. But, you wouldn't like waiting for me because I am so very slow.

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by Dee Dee
How interesting that I don't mind the binding. Maybe we should trade out! :)

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Piecing and Quilting, as long as we don't have to discuss binding.
If it didn't cost so much for shipping, I would jump at this in a heartbeat.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 AM

I agree. I know paying for longarm quilting is expensive for the buyer, but it takes the quilter a lot of time and they are not making a lot of profit, and they've invested a lot of money in their machine. It's a little easier for me to write a check than do the quilting myself.

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I enjoy the piecing! Halfway through one top I see my next project and can.t wait to get started!! I have a wonderful longarmer friend who set up her business a few years ago. I leave my tops with her(I usually supply backing and binding) I leave the designs to her she.s the expert!! She.s never let me down and has done 25/30 for me so far. She attaches the binding to the front then I just slipstitch when I get them back. To me it is worth every penny and makes my quilts special rather than just OK.