Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hand quilting double time.....

YEA! What a great accomplishment. You'll be gaining speed and stitches and before you know it, you'll be done.

Blog Entries
    Oh Yea!!! Sounds like you are well on your way!!

I've always handpieced and handquilted--and am pretty good at it from years of practice. However, I am making some baby quilts and decided machine piecing and quilting would be best (sturdier) since baby quilts have to be washed more often. The piecing is done. Now it's time to start the machine quilting, and I'm a bit nervous about it. So it goes both ways--reluctance to try what's new.

Blog Entries
    PLEASE post a pic! I am also handquilting a double Irish chain which I hand pieced. I posted it quite a while back. I am quilting a 5 inch rosebud in each of the large squares. My quilt is hunter green and white.

I'm taking a class next week and can hardly wait. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Blog Entries
    Happy Quilting. You will find it so rewarding once you get the hang of it. Kepp working on it. Soon you'll be rocking that thing like nobody's business.

I also hand quilt and I get 3 -4 stitches at a time. I tried going hoopless, but it didn't feel comfortable to me even though the stitches were smaller and more even. I am afraid to machine quilt but I do machine piece. Hand quilting is my favorite part of the process and it is my therapy and it relaxes me (most of the time, when I am not so critcal and try to be perfectionist). Enjoy the process and don't worry about the speed that comes with practice.

I agree, practice makes perfect!

Power Poster
    Keep going you will soon have more on each before pulling through. Could be done in 3 months ;-)

Like someone else said, loosen the tension of your quilt & you will be able to put more stitches on at a time. I learned this the hard way. After doing 1 quilt, I started asking questions & learned a lot.

I'm so happy for you to learn a new trick or two. I've been sewing since I was a young girl and am now 72. I've always loved it and hand stitching was part of my lessons; so I guess the hand quilting came kind of naturally, but learning to do the tiny stitches to complete the picture on my quilt, was a challenge. Once I did it though I was so proud and I'm hooked, I can't quit.

Don't worry about just two stitches! At least they are even. And if you are using a small needle (11 or 12 between) it won't hold too many stitches anyway.

Dee
    You go girl!!!! Congrats to you.

Blog Entries
    Om so happy for you !! I know what an accomplishment it can be, I have yet to finish a piece by piece quilt but i did make a prepatterned baby panel into a quilt for my new granbaby, I then decided to hand quilt it. I got a die cut with hearts and got a fabric pencil and drew out the hearts and hand sewed it all. The middle was all rubber ducky's ( the theme for the baby shower and the babys room) so i free handed made a pattern and it took a long time to do but i was proud and my daughter Loved it. That lil baby is close to 5 and really has outgrown the size but its her favorite blankie still. She knows gamma hand sewed it all and its special to her. I have an idea to make a new larger quilt for her now and every few year ADD on to each end right over the finished edge till it fits her forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    You can be sure, you will get faster with handquilting with practice. I only do single stitches and I'm as quick as my best quilting friend who loads 4 or 5 on the needle. Speed is not so important for me and I never count how many hours, days, weeks, months or years I have needed to finish a quilt. The process of handquilting is what I really love.
    I was amazed when I read this post, Borntohandquilt, I have often admired your work and am actually blown away that you do it one stitch at a time. Wow! Congrats to BevD - hand quilting is relaxing. I have arthritis which makes it hard now for me and I get so cranky about it, because I could happily spend the rest of my life just sitting at my quilting frame and hand quilting. Borntohandquilt - you have inspired me to keep trying. BevD, would love to see pics of your quilt, I notice someone else asked too.

Blog Entries
    Happy Dance here. Way to go.

I find hand quilting with small stitches to be very difficult. Does anyone have any pointers for me? I really would like to hand quilt a quilt top I have raedy to go

I'm so glad we have another hand quilter. I also keep the tension in the hoop a little loose and load 2 to 3 stitches on my needle. It's all about relaxation. Enjoy!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am doing the happy dance for you. I am going to teach myself how to one of these days, I have watched u tube, but they lose me every time I watch it. One of these days I will get a book on how to hand quilt. God bless. Penny

Enjoy your handquilting. It is so relaxing.

It's just like everything that you do, practice makes perfect. Like the others, with time you'll be an expert. It's soothing to have your hands busy but be sure to use good lighting when quilting because our eyes are very precious to us. Good luck quilting.

Thank you very much for all the hints and support. I have quilted one of the squares with a hoop and one without to see the difference. The one without I think I pulled the thread a bit tighter but still looks okay. It is easier to move the needle through but I think I prefer the look of the hooped square even though it took longer to do (which I don't mind as I'm enjoying the experimenting and still relaxed..)
    I have asked my son to help with getting a couple of decent pics and uploading for me so will do that very soon.
    Also, I donated plasma today (do this monthly) and GOSH does it hurt when they prick your finger for a sample of blood to test your iron levels AND IT JUST HAPPENS TO BE THE SAME FINGER THAT HAS BEEN RAVAGED BY THE QUILTING NEEDLE!!! Can't seem to get used to using a thimble underneath...oh well one ravaged finger out of ten isn't too bad LOL :)
    Happy quilting everyone, and for the other beginners...keep on stabbing :)

You know that if you prick yourself and bleed on your quilt that use your own saliva and it will come out. This only is true for your saliva on your blood. It really works when I tried it. I was so skeptical at first.

I thought I was the only weird one who does not like to use thimbles - I find that they get caught on the thread and seem to be in the way. I do not quilt in the traditional way, I "sew" and poke the needle in and out so sometimes I can get away with it. What does work is getting one of those small metal circles that adhere to your finger tip, and then putting a finger cut off surgical gloves on top of your poking finger. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Good for you! You will love hand quilting and it makes your quilt so special.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast