Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand quilting double time.....

I have made myself (about time) a Double Irish Chain quilt. Only once before in a quilting class have I tried hand quilting.
    After reading, watching and learning different topics from this site I can now say that I am .....Hand Quilting my quilt Double Time..... I can now put TWO - yes TWO - stitches on my little needle before pulling it through and YES they are even. :)

WooHoo!! Am I happy, should have this sucker quilted in 6mths not 12..LOL

Legend! Betcha before you know it you'll have 4 on that needle!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Yippee!!!! You're on your way!!! I love hand quilting more than anything else!!! :D

That's terrific. Hand quilting is a wonderful way to finish a quilt. I am a longarm quilter by trade but I dearly love hand quilting too. I've hand quilted hundreds of quilts and it is such a satisfying feeling.

I used to keep my work very taut in the hoop, but now I have eased the tension in the hoop and I can load a lot of little stitches on the needle at once. Makes it go a bit faster.

You will get used to it and may even load 3 stitches or 4 stitches on that little needle as you become more comfortable.But speed isn't my goal. I just enjoy the whole process!

AWESOME! At least they are even!

It all takes time, you are making good progress!

pat, pat, pat, pat, way to go girl!

I envy you....i can't seem to master hand quilting. I think i am too used to using my machine. I hope to learn to master that some day when i'm not so intimidated!

That's wonderful!! You will be an expert when you have finished that quilt!

:thumbup: :lol: I'm also doing the happy dance for you and clapping my hands at the same time!!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    I envy you....i can't seem to master hand quilting. I think i am too used to using my machine. I hope to learn to master that some day when i'm not so intimidated!
    Suzi- that's funny- I'm just the opposite!! hee hee

I only do 3-4 stitches at a time and a wonderful individual here on the board that does ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS handquilted items only does 2 at a time. I think I'm probably going to go down to 2-3 because it makes pulling through easier and not so much tension on your fingers.

So in otherwords, you're THERE!!!! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Way to go BevD, you're my hero!

Love it! Woot woot!

You can be sure, you will get faster with handquilting with practice. I only do single stitches and I'm as quick as my best quilting friend who loads 4 or 5 on the needle. Speed is not so important for me and I never count how many hours, days, weeks, months or years I have needed to finish a quilt. The process of handquilting is what I really love.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BevD
    I have made myself (about time) a Double Irish Chain quilt. Only once before in a quilting class have I tried hand quilting.
    After reading, watching and learning different topics from this site I can now say that I am .....Hand Quilting my quilt Double Time..... I can now put TWO - yes TWO - stitches on my little needle before pulling it through and YES they are even. :)

WooHoo!! Am I happy, should have this sucker quilted in 6mths not 12..LOL
    Congrats to you, I have found that speed isn't something I can even consider. I just take my time, hand quilting is not one of my favorites but I am pretty good at it. I would love to learn to machine quilt but am afraid to. I love peicing the tops, I have lots and lots of tops, hopefully some day I will get them quilted

Isn't hand quilting relaxing. When I get stressed, I pull out the hand quilting and stitch, stitch, stitch. Please post a pic so we can all see your progress.

Thank you everyone for your tips and encouragement...I will definitely post a pic for all to see very soon.
    And yes Lauren, I have found it to be very relaxing and think it will probably be something I do a bit of in each of my quilts.

Senior Member MomtoBostonTerriers's Avatar
    BevD,

I see that other hand quilters are encouraging you to keep practicing, saying you will be able to pick up more stitches on your needle at one time. You are my hero RIGHT NOW because already you are twice the hand quilter that I ever was (in the days when I actually attempted hand quilting). Two stitches boggles my mind!

You go, girl, two stitches at a time!

Di
    That's great. I'm jealous. I currently use the "stab" method but it works for me and the stitches are even. I've been trying to learn the other way, but the stitches aren't even and I am too critical of my work.

How lucky you are to be able to master hand quilting as it should be! I just cannot seem to be able to do no matter how hard I try so I "cheat" by simply pushing the needle in and our as in regular sewing. I get 6 stitches to the inch this way and they are, for the most part anyway, regular and straight. It looks more like sewing but I have done 1 king and 5 queens and 3 comfortors that way and they came out great. I just finished a twin and will be doing another soon. I quilt on a Grace frame so it works out well for me. Someday, I really hope to be able to quilt the way it should be. just have to keep trying!

Good for you. I hope to hand piece and hand quilt a bed size quilt. In the process of cutting the pieces. You have inspired me to pursue this project, many have told me I was crazy to even attempt this. You will have to show us pictures of your work.

Wowowow and yipee for your efforts. just remember the more you stitch the easier and more fun you will have, also think of it this way, you are making a quilt that is very special and totoally your amazing efforts...sew go sew!!!!

I picked out a hand piecing project to work on while we travel in our camper. I find it very relaxing and have pieced a large enough number of stars to start sewing it together in a quilt. It is supposed to use up stash, but my stash doesnt seem to have much of a dent in it! I will also attach all pieces by hand to make the top and then hand quilt it when done. As soon as I can figure out how to send a picture, I will be able to show some of the quilts I made. This is the most relaxing hobby I have ever had and recommend quilting to everyone.

I just love hand quilting. I did a twin quilt and people kept telling me to machine quilt it and it would get done faster. Yes it did but I ended up taking out all of the machine stitching and have just completed the hand quilting. I really like it so much better and it didn't take toooooooo long. For me it was easier than trying to get the quilt in the sewing machine. Keep up the good work

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast