Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting Frame Organizer >

Hand Quilting Frame Organizer

Hand Quilting Frame Organizer

Old 05-04-2024, 04:31 AM

Default Hand Quilting Frame Organizer

Hi All - I'm new to the group. I've been back at my hand quilting frame quilting with pearl cotton for the first time. It's taken a while but I think I've made the transition from traditional hand quilting to big stitch quilting. The problem I still haven't solved is what to do with my balls of thread, threader, scissors, extra needles, thread heaven while I'm quilting. My frame sits at an angle and the things tend to roll or fall off . Before I would just have a thread dome and that easily sat on top with my betweens but now all my new paraphilia just keep dropping off. Has anybody ever seen an organizer that would work with a hand quilting frame?

Thanks!
Nina
On the shores of Lake Erie
ninamariesayre.blogspot.com
Old 05-04-2024, 07:09 AM

I use a lap frame so made myself a little tray that rests on the couch beside me, not sure what your frame looks like? Is there some place on it that you could clip a tray onto?
Attached Thumbnails img_2470.jpeg  
Old 05-04-2024, 11:10 AM

Here is my frame - I use it a bit more tilted up since I'm short. It rolls on either end so it would have to a caddy on the quilting end would be tricky. hmmmm I dunno - maybe I'll have to put my smart husband on it. By the way, it's a Hinterburg that I got as a Christmas gift in 1995 or so - they are like impossible to find now!
Old 05-04-2024, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

My first thought was something like the bags that people hand over walkers or wheelchairs that could be hung over one of the rails.

But that would not make what you use very accessible.

Maybe a wrist cushion for the pins and needles while you are sewing?

And you could put the thread and scissors in the bag?

Nice frame.
Old 05-04-2024, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Perhaps as simple as setting a chair or TV tray/table to the side of where you are sitting, with your supplies atop? Sitting them on a tray makes it easy to remove, and keep all in place, when /if the chair is needed elsewhere.

Depending on how much and what stuff you want to keep close at hand, you could could take BearIsGray's idea of a walker bag, converting it to hang over the chair back, so it hangs directly above the things on the seat. Or if using a TV tray/table you could have the converted bag hand in front.
Old 05-04-2024, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

QuiltE 's solution is so simple (and obvious, after she mentioned it!)
Old 05-04-2024, 01:56 PM

My frame is a Grace EZ3 and I really don't have a lot of room in my sewing space. What I use is a TV/snack tray that I place on the left side of my chair ....... I'm left handed ....... On that tray I have everything I will need ..... thread, scissors, needle puller, mulitple marking pencils, thread heaven, etc. And as I move down my frame I move the little table too.
Attached Thumbnails img_1558.jpeg   img_1559.jpeg  
Old 05-04-2024, 05:01 PM

If your husband is handy, maybe he could make you a small tray that would attach to one of the leg uprights and be available/close by....
Old 05-04-2024, 05:50 PM

Well you ladies helped me start thinking out of the box. Once you said walker organizer - I thought that would work if it would just clip - then I thought - what I need is a clip tray....and of course they had one on Amazon- 'cause they have everything on Amazon. Maybe I'll give it a try.
I do have a small table that I always kept by my frame but this quilt I moved the frame into it's own TV room - so there is just room for the TV - frame and me!! I do love it in there since it's out of the way but the room is TIGHT! I'll let you know what finally works!

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails 91rbksw0r2l._ac_ul480_ql65_.jpg  
Old 05-05-2024, 12:25 AM
Power Poster

Sync ... oooh! and even a light on your little table! Great addition!

BearIsGray ... Sometimes the obvious isn't ... obvious!

PiecefullyNina ... Sometimes, one idea just leads to another ... so now, maybe you are on to something that will work for you. Are you going to be able to hook this tray onto your frame? or where? Because of your tight circumstances, maybe another possibility be would be something hanging on the wall?

Last edited by QuiltE; 05-05-2024 at 12:32 AM.