Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting frame >

Hand quilting frame

Hand quilting frame

Old 02-15-2009, 10:31 PM

Does anyone have a Gracie Z44 Fabri-Fast? I would really like to get a frame that I don't have to baste the quilt. I have a large oval hoop floor frame but that means basting and constantly moving it in the hoop.

Any other recommendations or thoughts on the Gracie?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:17 AM

My girlfriend has the Gracie II frame w/a Janome on it...loves it and has had it 2-3yrs and she does several a week on it. I personally love the feature of having the 4th roll to hold the extra batting and love the clamps to hold your quilt instead of basting. Also, the movement is so great w/your machine. I don't think you will be sorry!! Skeat...
Old 02-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I'm pretty sure that's the one I have in the garage. I got so far as to put leaders on the poles and then never used it -- not even once. Dh wrapped it in plastic and it has been in the garage for at least 5 years, maybe 8. I still have all the assembly directions for it somewhere. At the time I bought mine it was supposed to be one of the easiest frames to use because of the separate rollers. If you are interested in buying mine for half price, let me know. Dh would be delighted to have more room in the garage! Oh, one thing I see is that mine has wooden poles, not metal. That's the only difference I see offhand.

One thing I know is that floor frames are not for everyone. It is helpful to be able to quilt in multiple directions because with a floor frame you cannot change the orientation of the quilt to your hand the way you can with a hoop.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:28 AM

Prism...I'm curious to what state you live in and also my friend's Gracie, even though is made of wood...has metal (actually alumin.) leaders or poles. Are you sure it is a gracie??Thanks Skeat
Old 02-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Skeat
Prism...I'm curious to what state you live in and also my friend's Gracie, even though is made of wood...has metal (actually alumin.) leaders or poles. Are you sure it is a gracie??Thanks Skeat
Well, I'm pretty sure it's a Grace Z44. I would have to pull out the documentation to make sure. It was the Grace company's top-of-the-line frame when I bought it, and it looks just like the picture on the Grace website except for the poles. It could be they replaced the wooden poles with metal poles somewhere along the line; would be a lot lighter for shipping, I would think, as my poles are squared off and quite thick. I bought this frame for hand quilting; I wasn't aware it could be used for machine frame quilting. If that's the case, I might keep it as I have been contemplating getting a frame machine quilting system someday. (Entering the lottery would help. :lol: )

I'm in WI.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 PM

That's what I thought it was too...it looked right and boy is it pretty!:))I'm a bit slow on the punch w/a head cold over here!LOL Skeat