Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting - Lost art??? >

Hand quilting - Lost art???

Hand quilting - Lost art???

Old 11-30-2011, 04:23 PM

Ya'll have got me wanting to do some hand quilting. Right now I have a GMF going but it's not as much fun as quilting. I think that I'll put it back & decide which top I want to hand quilt! The GMF will be waiting for me when I need it.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:27 PM

I am very new to quilting. And sewing. I made a baby quilt a couple yrs ago, that was my first ever sewn project, and I am making a lap quilt at the moment. I sew the blocks together with machine, but sew in the ditch by hand. My problem with hand sewing is I cannot get a good small stitch, and it is by no means straight. :/
Old 11-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by CatsWhiskers View Post
I am very new to quilting. And sewing. I made a baby quilt a couple yrs ago, that was my first ever sewn project, and I am making a lap quilt at the moment. I sew the blocks together with machine, but sew in the ditch by hand. My problem with hand sewing is I cannot get a good small stitch, and it is by no means straight. :/
I think hand quilting in the ditch is hard to do. If you can quilt 1/4 inch outside the seam, you might find it easier. Small stitches and straightness will come with practice - the important part is that you enjoy what you are doing.

Janet
Old 11-30-2011, 07:04 PM

I still love hand quilting, but my wrists will not let me do very much. In our guild there are several who do nothing but hand quilting,so I think it will always be around.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:33 PM

I have been hand quilting for years. I may not complete many projects in any given year, but I'm not in a rush. My family is surprised when they receive a new quilt or wall hanging.

Right now I'm working on a holiday quilt, but am thinking it will be great for next year! There are so many fun things to see and do during the holidays, I will get back to quilting when I can devote the time and do a good job.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 PM

I still hand quilt but not as much as I used to. I find it relaxing but the 'time' factor dictates that I also machine quilt so I can get through my stash.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:43 PM

Hi: I am new to quilting. My first quilt was a log cabin and I made it all by hand. I have started to machine piece, design my own patterns, but hand quilt. I live in a small flat and enjoy hand quilting. I have made some wall hanging and trying to make a 20- 12 x 12 block quilt- maybe it might take me about six months to finish, but I will do others things. lbmyway
Old 11-30-2011, 07:55 PM

I hand quilt or hand tie all my quilts....
Old 11-30-2011, 08:05 PM

No, I don't believe it is a dying art. I do think that time is very short for most people however. I am a hand quilter with a LA simply because I can't hand quilt my quilts fast enough to keep up with all the grand kids that are being born now. I am on my second round of quilts for everyone in the family. After this last round, I do not intend to make any more until grand kids start graduating. Between now and then I am going to hand quilt all the quilts that I make for myself. These quilts will be the ones that get handed down and I can only hope that my kids have will have matured enough to realize the work that was/is being put into them. I want to showcase my best work for the future.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by lindagor View Post
I worry about hand quilting becomming a lost art. I belong to a quilting group and all of the members are elderly (except me of course!) and we can't seem to get anyone younger interested in learning.
I would suggest offering classes to teach piecing, hand quilting their masterpieces will follow. I taught my youngest to sew this past summer and she is now going to take the leap to applique by hand. My oldest wanted to make a wall quilt for her home last winter but didn't quite want it bad enough and purchased something else "that will work". But they both question me on a regular basis. I think if we all lived close to each other they would both be well on their way to becoming quilters. I have people all the time tell me they'd love to learn to quilt and I offer but I don't think they think I'm serious. For some reason people feel that they have to have money to take classes to learn and that just isn't so. I think most of us would be happy to pass on what we know.