Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting - Lost art??? >

Hand quilting - Lost art???

Hand quilting - Lost art???

Old 11-30-2011, 11:10 PM

There are many of us who enjoy both methods of quilting. Sitting with a quilt on my lap while I watch tv with my husband makes me feel like I'm not wasting time.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:44 AM

I am from Hawaii and I have to say Hawaiian quilting is 'all hand quilting' with no machine stitching. I am a Hawaiian quilter and continually try to perpetuate the art.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:57 AM

I took shorthand, a typed on a manual typewriter, I hand quilt, machine quilt and love my iPad. A little tradition and a little modern Millie all wrapped up in one. Helps to keep life interesting learning new techniques.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:37 AM

Default good idea

Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
I think hand quilting in the ditch is hard to do. If you can quilt 1/4 inch outside the seam, you might find it easier. Small stitches and straightness will come with practice - the important part is that you enjoy what you are doing.

Janet
Thats a good idea. I have already started sewing in ditch with current project but next time I will try that. My next quilt is actually going to be a Rag Quilt, and so won't require that at all. I do need to practice on my stitches and I think part of the problem is I am using too big a needle. However I can't not for the life of me thread a smaller needle and when I try those little needle doohicky things, I find I can't get the thread on those ! haha. Part of it is eyesight tho I wear glasses, a big part of it is thick fingers. Yeah, that's what it is! haha
Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by emsgranny View Post
I am so happy to see when quilters post their hand quilted items.

I often wonder if if hand quilting will become like letter writing and fade away due to new technology -

Letter writing is becoming more scarce since the emails and texting have advanced.

What do you think? Will hand quilting fade away due to the new long arm machines and new ways to quilt as you go and FMQ - I certainly hope not but I hear less people talking about hand quilting versus machine.
I used to hand quilt and loved everything about it, but then Arthur set in. I can't even pull a needle through a sandwich without a pair of pliers. Sew, if you can't do it one way, you have to adapt. I am grateful for the technology and coming round to admiring the 'handiwork' it helps us produce. Still see handwork and the ability to do handwork as priceless.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:27 PM
mim

I totally agree with you Moonglow. The ones I want to really be important and remembered will be hand quilted. The rest can be FMQ'd by Charisam

Mim
Originally Posted by Moonglow View Post
I still hand quilt but not as much as I used to. I find it relaxing but the 'time' factor dictates that I also machine quilt so I can get through my stash.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:04 PM

Default Hand pieced son's wedding quilt

I have just joined this site, so have a lot to learn. I have hand quilted everything I've done so far (not a huge amount of projects) and it has taken me several years to complete a quilt - unless it is a smaller project such as a wall hanging or Christmas Tree skirt. I want to learn machine quilting, hoping that it will produce more quilts - faster. I have generally done most quilting projects as we travel; fewer distractions at those times. The problem has always been pressing as I go. I like hand quilting as you can ease the material where you want it to go in matching corners, etc. As soon as I learn how to post photographs I will share photos of some of my projects.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by It'll get done View Post
I have just joined this site, so have a lot to learn. I have hand quilted everything I've done so far (not a huge amount of projects) and it has taken me several years to complete a quilt - unless it is a smaller project such as a wall hanging or Christmas Tree skirt. I want to learn machine quilting, hoping that it will produce more quilts - faster. I have generally done most quilting projects as we travel; fewer distractions at those times. The problem has always been pressing as I go. I like hand quilting as you can ease the material where you want it to go in matching corners, etc. As soon as I learn how to post photographs I will share photos of some of my projects.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:55 AM

I thought of another analogy: Why draw a picture, when you can use your camera? Drawing and painting will never go away and I don't think hand crafts will either.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I do a little hand quilting. But I use shorthand at work every day. People are amazed when they see me taking notes in shorthand.
I didn't realize anyone still knew shorthand. I took it in high school and don't remember any of it. LOL