Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting - Lost art??? >

Hand quilting - Lost art???

Hand quilting - Lost art???

Old 11-28-2011, 11:31 AM

I'm with everyone else on the shorthand and dictation, however I took the beginner's hand quilt class at LQS and aside from sticking my fingers alot I swore I'd stay with machine quilting. I'd like to be able to do both but don't know who to learn from. I find the needle is too small to work with and I can't get the talent down to make those continuous stitches, or how to tie off properly. We'll see how things go down the road.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:33 AM

I took a hand quilting class at my LQS in late 2009 when I was taking all my new learning to quilt classes and hand quilted the quilt that is in my avatar, then I hand quilted a 106x106 log cabin for a friend as a wedding gift that I gave her in June of this year and right now I have a 70x93 quilt on my frame that I am hand quilting. I have tried machine quilting without much success (everyone tells me just to keep practicing, that it will get better) but I find hand quilting a lot more relaxing.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:49 AM

I do a little hand quilting. But I use shorthand at work every day. People are amazed when they see me taking notes in shorthand.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Dix

I love to hand quilt and try to keep one always going. I do have most of them long armed, because I will not live long enough to do all of them by hand. There are 20 in our little church quilt group and several of us still hand quilt. I try to do special baby ones and wedding ones by hand.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 PM

I have hand quilted since my first quilt in the mid 80's, but, I have such a backlog of UFO's that I have started doing very simple machine quilting. Sometimes I mix the two. The projects I am making for Christmas are all going to be machine quilted, except for one which I am hand quilting. I think I will always have a hand quilting project going to just keep the art alive for myself
Old 11-28-2011, 03:22 PM

Another hand quilter here...Can't imagine doing it any other way. It serves as my therapy after coming home from work. I'd love to start a business finishing off vintage quilts for families. I am also disappointed when i go to quilt shows and I can't find hand quilting thread or needles. Templates are another thing that are hard to find. Thankfully, there is a store about an hour away from my house. At least it's a beautiful drive up there.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:33 PM

I hand quilted all my children's baby quilts. Then I got bad arthritis in my thumbs and just couldn't do it anymore. (It had nothing to do with age, but I think it had something to do with playing Super Mario with the grandkids.) So now I machine quilt. I agree that it is an art. I have a neighbor that hand quilts beautifully.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:18 PM

I love to hand quilt. Not all my projects are done b hand but I always have one on the frame to enjoy in the evenings while watching TV. I usually always hand quilt a "time period" piece like a quilt using the 30's or Civil War fabrics. It looks more realistic and in time with what was done then.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:28 PM

I'm a hand quilter too. I love to hand quilt, but I have way too many projects to hand quilt 'em all.(Doing 9 different projects now.) I've done SID & other straight stitching but now I'm trying to learn to FMQ. I only make lap quilts & baby quilts so my DSM can handle it. 3 generations of hand quilters in my family. I don't think that my Great GM quilted, but my DM & DGM do. I will say that my DD doesn't want to hand quilt. She does want to learn to machine piece & machine SID. However, she doesn't live here so I can't teach her.
I hope that hand quilting never gos out of style.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:53 PM

I took shorthand in school also, never used it. Love to hand quilt, hate to machine quilt. Probably cause I'm not any good at it. I just do simple lines or SID, the last two quilts I tied. I have a Irish Chain waiting to be hand quilted, I started tying a Christmas present but I would rather be doing my Irish Chain.