Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting - Lost art??? >

Hand quilting - Lost art???

Hand quilting - Lost art???

Old 11-28-2011, 08:26 PM

I think Hand quilting looks beautiful...There is no comparision....... However there are not enough people out there to appreciate the labor or the look. Because of this, I evaluate my machine quilting to no more than sewing. Look is not the same.......
Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Power Poster

I do too. I do not think it will ever fade all the way. It is very soothing and many of us that machine quilt might also do some hand quilting even if it is only when camping or waiting at the doctor's office.

Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
I think hand quilting is the ULTIMATE in skill!
Old 11-29-2011, 02:38 AM

I love handquilting, but I do wonder how long it will last as a skill since everything nowadays seems to emphasise speed. And if there is one thing that is not quick, it is handquilting!

But I love the process and the calm.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:53 AM

I really admire people who hand quilt but in my area it is fading out fast we live in a micowave world to get things done in a hurry and no one has the time I am also wondering with all the hand held gadget and the prices of everything if quilting will even be around in another 10 years I use to go for miles for a quilt show now I don't no interest in seeing what a computer can do and some of the big quilt shows that use to be around are no longer here as no one has the interest to work that hard anymore yes there has been some gig big changes
Old 11-29-2011, 04:06 AM

I belong to a group of six handquilters. We meet each week and take turns handquilting our quilts. The friendship, fellowship and comradarie in our group is wonderful.........plus.........food is always involved too. Our group has been together for twenty odd years - losing one member to cancer. We keep the number at six as it's a perfect fit around the frame. Hopefully, handquilting will never be a lost art.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:21 AM

I love to hand quilt its so relaxing,I'm do a double wedding ring right now in peaches and mint greens!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:29 AM

I am going to try my hand at hand quilting one day. I have made some quilts for nieces that I stitched in the ditch that turned out very nice after I got the hang of the transparent thread, thanks to some of the hints from all you experienced quilters. I usually have a hand piecing project going as I can watch TV with hubby or carry it with me for "waiting times".
Old 11-29-2011, 05:02 AM

I do both hand & machine quilting, although I wouldn't win any prizes for my skills. The quilt I'm working on now will have some of each.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:17 AM

I am not a good hand quilter but I like doing it, but my hands just won't let me do anymore.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:23 AM

I too am a hand quilter, sometimes hand piecer and hand embroiderer. When I do hand projects I know who the recipient will be-- and I am weavinging in love, prayers, good thoughts, dreams and hopes in each stitch. I believe there will always be people like us who keep the art alive and recipients who recognize the gift of love we have bestowed. On the other hand I will never give a quilt like this to someone I don't believe will treasure it!