Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting - Lost art??? >

Hand quilting - Lost art???

Hand quilting - Lost art???

Old 11-29-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
That's funny. Simultaneously in shorthand is as long as it is in longhand.

I quilt by hand. I tried that freemotion and stitch in the ditch stuff. It was a hideous experience. I would much rather prop my feet up on my easy chair foot stool, arrange the quilt on my lap, and hand quilt sans any kind of frame or hoop. I've never made anything smaller than a queen.

My hand quilting isn't perfect and I make no effort to squeeze a bunch of tiny stitches into a small space.

I suppose I'm a little snooty about it. Machine quilting is.....well, sewing.

I cheat, though, and sew the pieces together by machine.
This is pretty much how I feel about hand quilting.
Only recently have I thought about trying FMQ on my machine, only because it is really beginning to hurt my hands, elbow and shoulder. I never realized that it would eventually effect elbow and shoulder.

I also took shorthand and never used it! Technology moves too fast and leaves us behind!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:13 AM

I have a MA quilting machine but when it comes to family or if asked I do hand quilt. Right now I am working on my frist great grand daughters baby quilt and am doing it all by hand as being the first I want her quilt to be as special as she is. My mother didn't sew I learned in Home ec. But my step mother is a great hand quilter and showed me some of the basics, my biggest problem is I can not ware a thimble, I have tried many different kinds none worked for me. I still poke my fingers numerous times but doing a quilt by hand in front of the TV with hubby is very relaxing.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:15 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I always stitch in the ditch around the edging and each block on my kids quilts but add a bit of hand quilting inside each block. As others said; quilts for kids just get machine quilted. I have been practicing FMQ but only on tablerunners and table toppers. not good nuff to put on a quilt yet. Kudos to all the beautiful hand quilters out there! It is enjoyable to do.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:18 AM

I'm not sure if it will go away, but it just takes too much time. I was over 50 by the time I finished hand appliqueing and hand quilting a quilt my grandmother started by for me when I was a baby (my avatar). I know I don't have another 50 years to do that, so I will probably stick with machine quilting.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:23 AM

Default Hand Quilting

I love handquilting - am handquilting Grandmother's flower garden pattern with 1930's reproduction fabric. My mother said I have a lot of patience. It is therapy for me and fun! I also took shorthand: Pitman and still use it after all these years! Those were the days! Yes, I believe hand quilting is the ultimate art with patience and skill as someone else posted. It's good see others are still interested in hand quilting.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:34 AM

I hand quilt. It may take longer but I feel good when it's completed and I like the look of hand quilting.
I don't have any interest in getting a "long arm" machine.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:36 AM

I think everyone should know how to hand quilt because if we lose power and can't use our sewing machine at least you will have something to do. Of course those of us that have treadle machines are all set. Plus, it is really special when you can say I made this quilt all be hand.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by SherryW View Post
I'm not sure if it will go away, but it just takes too much time.
Well, I am sure many quilters see it like this and prefer machine quilting (of course this is not the only reason....). For me the process is the main thing, not the result. I enjoy every single minute I need for a quilt more than the finished item!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Although I machine quilt, I also usually have a hand-quilting project going "simultaneously." I just posted my latest Hawaiian Applique' project. There's something gratifying to finishing a hand quilting project.

PS. I also took shorthand and continue to use it in my work and every day life.....
Old 11-29-2011, 07:47 AM

I took the two years of shorthand and used it for 25 years. Still find myself writing and then switching over to shorthand There are many tutorals on this board that can get you started with hand quilting. I enjoy the journey of hand quilting and once in a comfy position find myself relaxing. Good luck!