Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting Question >

Hand Quilting Question

Hand Quilting Question

Old 02-19-2010, 05:42 PM

I use my hoop for everything from Crib quilts to King Size.

My mom taught me to quilt. She used flour sacks for her quilts. "Bags of Scraps" were available and inexpensive, and she used them a few times. The problem with them was a lot of the pieces weren't good for sturdy quilts.
The one thing she was picky about was stitch size.
She would say, "Don't make the stitches so long you can catch
your toenail in it." She used all her quilts for cover on the bed.
She always had a bedspread over them. I use mine for both covers and coverlets, and make bedskirts and pillow shams to match. Sometimes I made curtains to match also.

Could I use a hoop for any size quilt?
Thanks You in advance[/quote]
Old 02-19-2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by graphicsbysue

My mom taught me to quilt. She used flour sacks for her quilts. "Bags of Scraps" were available and inexpensive, and she used them a few times. The problem with them was a lot of the pieces weren't good for sturdy quilts.
She always had a bedspread over them. I use mine for both covers and coverlets, and make bedskirts and pillow shams to match. Sometimes I made curtains to match also.

Thanks You in advance
[/quote]

Thank You for your answer - this will be my first quilt that will be hand quilted it is crib size.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Be sure to always check the back for wrinkles. Stretch all those out. You will do fine, I'm sure.

Originally Posted by patty04
Originally Posted by graphicsbysue

Thanks You in advance
Thank You for your answer - this will be my first quilt that will be hand quilted it is crib size.[/quote]
Old 02-22-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
And oh yeah I sure wish I could be in one of those covered wagons when life was hard work but simpler than the times now and more family oriented!
Hugs
April
April, I think that is why I quilt with a passion. I talked to my mother this past weekend. She commented that it puzzled her that quilting craze hung on so long. (She saw it come back into style in the 1970's for the bicentennial celebration.) The quilts she has were born of hard work and lean times. But, boy, was her family close-knit! I want to give something of that to my family. I can't take away the way the world works, but I can create a haven for them from the world. And quilting is a part of that!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Zoe

I believe we have the best of both worlds...the memories of those folks who quilted years ago when you "made do" with what you had. Today we have modern gadgets such as the Rotary cutter which helps crippled hands so much (and of which my own mother was terrified to use). My mother used a Singer machine back when Singers were the best. I use a Janome with the "needle-down" element and the "1/4-inch foot" that helps me produce much better work. Aren't we lucky? I also document the stories behind the quilts so that the makers' identities are not lost forever.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Donna Hall
I have used the pvc frame, an Ulmer wooden frame, and a hoop. I really like the hoop. Just make sure the hoop is a quilting hoop. When selecting a hoop, bend your arm at a 45 degree angle, place the hoop on your arm, if your fingers touch the edge of the hoop, it is the right size. I too use small needles and I use Roxanne needles.
Hi I'm interested in your ulmer quilting frame -- if you ever decide to sell it let me know. thanks nancy 65
Old 10-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the tip

Originally Posted by dsj
I am a hand quilter, that is all I do. I love it. It does take practice. Before you begin on your top start out on a scrap of muslin draw a pattern with circles, lines, whatever and practice with a few different size needles. I like the John James large eye needles. Some of the needles are hard to thread with hand quilting thread. Save yourself the aggravation and look for the large eye needles. I would practice until you feel comfortable with your stitches. I use a paddle thimble too. It gives more consistent stitches and you don't end up with thimble finger. You hold it in your hand and rock it back and forth, it takes a couple of minutes to get used to it but I love it. I use a size 12 needle but it is small and hard to feel, I also use the needle grabbers they are little rubber disks that look like mini jar openers. Size 10 & 11 needles seem to be the most popular.
I use all different frames, depending on the size of the quilt and sometimes no frame at all. My favorite for convenience is the pvc floor frame. Good luck to you, I hope you enjoy hand quilting as much as I do.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:45 PM

I do not use a hoop or frame. I baste it well then anchor a corner so I have just a little tension. Use the smallest needle I can with Mettler quilting thread. I use a small running stitch to do my quilting. I sometimes have a dozen needles in the quilt going in all directions! Without a hoop I can swivel the quilt all around and the running stitch is the fastest and easiest to do.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-95116.jpe