Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting Question >

Hand Quilting Question

Hand Quilting Question

Old 02-18-2010, 03:53 PM

I hand quilt without a hoop -- I have a nice wooden one that I've tried to use and maybe with practice I can....

I read somewhere that the needle you use for hand quilting should be the length of your left forefinger from the knuckle out to the end of your finger. I tried it and it works for me -- anything smaller and I keep losing that little sucker....

And like everyone else -- practice, practice, practice and then practice some more!!

Good Luck -- I know you'll love doing it! :D
Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
This is the frame I just got last year. It was SUPPOSED to be about $109.00, but when Jim went in to get it for me, he had a 40% off coupon.
I bought one like this about 12 years ago at Hobby Lobby for just under 60 dollars. I love it.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:10 PM

I like small needles. & good hand quilting thread....I also was told to hold the needle straight up & down & rock the needle. There is a hand quilting site where you can see the video.type in hand quilting & you will see different sites to go to . Happy quilting
Old 02-18-2010, 06:27 PM

I use an oblong hoop that sits on a frame with legs. I do all my quilts on it. when you have the quilt sandwiched put it on the hoop frame in the very center. as you quilt, go around the quilt evenly as you work to the outside. Make sure each time you adjust on the frame that you check to make sure you pull the backing taut. I use number 8 betweens for my needle. and coats and clark hand quilting thread. hope you enjoy hand quilting as much as I do. I have some number 10 betweens but I can't get the thread to go through them. so just stick with the 8s.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 PM

I've been told that the coated quilting thread lies on top of the fabric more, so is more noticeable. A quality sewing thread will bury in the quilt more and, then, not be so noticeable. Depends on what look you want.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:23 PM

I absolutely love my Ulmer quilting frame - don't use anything else anymore unless I'm traveling and need something less bulky. Although it does fold up nicely. I may take it to my daughter's in Mar. when her baby is born. I have done as big as a queen quilt on it.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:26 PM

I use the Gutterman's hand quilting thread....100% cotton.
I use a size 10 needle and have one of those Clover needlethreaders and LOVE it. It will actually thread those tiny needles.
The first quilt I hand quilted was a double bed size pieced top that my grandmother pieced and I found it in my mother's cedar chest.
Made from feed sacks and clothing. Have a good light. I use a 14 inch hoop. Have fun with it!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:56 PM

I like YLI Quilting thread. For needles, it depends on how my arthritis is when I am doing it. I do not use a hoop on small projects. On larger projects, I use a 14" hoop.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:42 PM
dsj

I am a hand quilter, that is all I do. I love it. It does take practice. Before you begin on your top start out on a scrap of muslin draw a pattern with circles, lines, whatever and practice with a few different size needles. I like the John James large eye needles. Some of the needles are hard to thread with hand quilting thread. Save yourself the aggravation and look for the large eye needles. I would practice until you feel comfortable with your stitches. I use a paddle thimble too. It gives more consistent stitches and you don't end up with thimble finger. You hold it in your hand and rock it back and forth, it takes a couple of minutes to get used to it but I love it. I use a size 12 needle but it is small and hard to feel, I also use the needle grabbers they are little rubber disks that look like mini jar openers. Size 10 & 11 needles seem to be the most popular.
I use all different frames, depending on the size of the quilt and sometimes no frame at all. My favorite for convenience is the pvc floor frame. Good luck to you, I hope you enjoy hand quilting as much as I do.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:51 PM

BOSTON1954: that blue star is absolutely beautiful! Is it paper pieced? I'm new to this addiction (I've got it bad, too!) and would love to try making that. Thanks.