Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting Question >

Hand Quilting Question

Hand Quilting Question

Old 02-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Here's the hoop that I prefer for hand quilting:
http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/9113.htm
It is a lap hoop, so both hands are freed up for quilting. The ball makes it very easy to adjust the tilt to any angle you desire, and the wing nuts are very easy to loosen and tighten.

If you use a hoop, whatever hoop you use, be sure not to hoop the quilt drum tight. This is a common beginner mistake. The quilt should be loose enough in the hoop so that you can move the center about a fist's width in either direction. This looseness allows you to manipulate the quilt to help stitches form on the needle.

Hand quilting thread is stiffer than regular thread so it is less likely to knot up on you as you quilt.

Be sure not to cut more than 18 inches of thread at a time; more, and it is likely to snarl and knot before you finish the thread. It is also more tiring on your arm to pull too much length through at the beginning.

For the same reason, do not buy a hoop that is too large; it is tiring to have to reach all the time. Better to re-hoop more often than to have a hoop that is overly large.

Be aware that traditional quilting is done with a single thread, not doubled thread, so you knot only one end of the 18 inches. Learn to make a quilter's knot (very small), so you can pop it through the top to hide it at both beginning and end.

It's a good idea to thread several needles at a time so you have a new one ready to pick up after you finish one length.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
Thank you everyone! I am going to post pictures as I go along.
Join me MQ we can learn together :-)
Hugs
April
I will try this with you. Will have to go the the LQS to get different needles and thread!
Craftiladi-thanks for all the websites!! this should get us started off on the right foot(i hope!!)
I think i'm going to start off making a genuine scrappy quilt and hand piece them together and then hand quilt. this is going to take forever!! oh well what else do i have to do??!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:55 PM

I have the hoop that Prism99 uses, in fact I got it based on her recommendation, I love it. Not having to hold the hoop as you quilt makes such a difference. I won't add the same info that many have already but I will add this, if at all possible try to find someone that you can watch while they quilt, that was the single biggest help to me. Once I saw a quilter in the process, everything clicked. BTW, I found my hoop on Ebay for much less than new, and I've seem them on there occasionally since then.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:13 AM

I use thread designed for hand quilting. I believe that Connecting Threads carries a nice line, I believe that's where I got mine. My needle is a between that's usually a size 10. I also use a mid-sized hoop (smaller you have to move it more, larger get too cumbersome for me to handle). I do most of my handquilting in the winter on my lap when I'm watching TV as it also keeps me warm.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:29 AM

Thank you Prism for the great hoop idea!
And thank you everyone for the input-I have written down the key notes everyone has hit on and think I will make a 12" block and try that first. If it works out well I will move on to my Earth's Window quilt!
Hugs
April
Old 02-18-2010, 06:03 AM

Keep in mind that handquilting with a hoop and without is very different. I can't hand quilt without a hoop to save my life! Kinda wish I could!I've also heard suggested but havent' tried, the wax that you run your thread thru. Some say it makes your thread glide better. I love the rhythm of hand quilting but it does take longer to do. It's a nice "work on when you don't feel like sitting in front of a machine" project.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:40 AM

I bought a Hinterberg Quilting Frame Hardware Kit for $69. My husband built the frame for me with the instructions. We had to buy the wood and the conduit pipe to use as rollers. The whole project cost a little under $200. I can make any size quilt I want on it. A frame like this would go for at least $500 from what I have seen on the Internet. It also can come apart and be stored under a bed etc. when not in use. Right now I have a queen size double Irish chain on it that I am hand quilting. I also hand pieced it. There is a pic of it on the frame somewhere in this forum but I can't really tell you where.
I had looked at my friend's PVC frame and thought it was ugly. She is right when she says that it is utilitarian, but I like the aesthetics as well. Just an idea for you. Of course, you need to have someone who can cut the wood and help you assemble it initially in order to do what I did.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Dix

I love to hand quilt and have found the 14 inch plastic square works for me because I like to do 12" blocks. I do not have to move the fabric so often. Also, my favorite thread is YLI. It is strong and I find it does not knot as badly.
What ever works for you it what you need to use. It may take awhile to be comfortable with anything. Hand quilting is so relaxing for me, while some of my quilting buddies hate it.
Just enjoy!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:22 AM

I learned to quilt on a frame, but did a bunch of pillows with no hoop at all. They came out fine.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
I tried a hoop, hubby made me a pvc frame, I prefer to hand quilt without either. If you pin baste it well enough you can do this. I prefer it because I can sit anywhere and get comfy and quilt away.
I also prefer no hoop and no frame for hand quilting. I have 2 round hoops, 2 sturdy wooden frame ends and 10' poles just taking up space and gathering dust. I have a lot of things I HAD to have that I never use.