Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting question and thanks >

Hand quilting question and thanks

Hand quilting question and thanks

Old 10-28-2016, 02:26 AM

I use a plastic rectangle quilt frame that I hold in my lap. I have two bigger round ones but I don't like the round ones as well. I want to sit back and relax while I quilt not lean forward. I use a shorter needle to quilt and an open thimble that slips on my third finger and has dimples. I rock the needle catching the material and putting several stitches on the needle before pulling the thread through. I do prick my finger under the quilt and sometimes I tape up my bottom finger to keep it from getting too sore. I am quilting towards myself. The object for me and the quilting is to not lean forward and hurt my back. I do not stitch in the ditch and I do not use batiks very often. Sometimes my stitches turn but I just keep on going and sometimes they aren't exactly the same size but I can't be taking out stitches all the time. I tried to learn the stab method stitching and practiced that for about three weeks but I could not get the back side of the stitch to not turn and the stitches were not as straight as my rocking method. I took a class and everything but I was stressing out on trying to make my stitches straight and perfect. Nothing is perfect except the lady who gave the stab stitching class. Her quilting stitches were perfect and I wanted mine to be like that but I got tired to practicing. Ever onward.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:35 AM

I use an oval wooden hoop (two sizes), thimble on right hand, bare fingers underneath. Rocking stitch. Very small needles. You can't tell the top from the bottom when I am done, both sides have nice small even stitches. BUT I have been doing this for over 35 years!!

I did have to take a one hour lesson to figure out how to do the hand quilting stitch (way before Youtube videos). Not easy to learn from a book. Still the only instruction I have ever had in quilting. It was well worth the $10!!
Old 10-28-2016, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

I like to hand quilt in addition to machine quilting. I can't get the hang of the Aunt Becky yet. I do make the quilt loose in the frame, but, still need practice. I use the basic hand quilting technique I learned in a class about 10 years ago. I think once you find a system that is comfortable for you, then it just takes a lot of practice. I can tell my stitches start out bigger on a project, and then settle into a nice small size. I just leave those few bigger stitches in and they blend in. I use small needles and usually the hand quilting thread that has the coating on it. I have used all kinds of hoops, standing round, square pvc type, big round ones, and last quilt I used a small embroidery hoop. I have also tried without a hoop but for me I wasn't as comfortable. I like the thimble that has a tiny lip on the end to catch the needle. I don't use anything on the bottom finger. I don't have a callous on it, so I guess my method is okay. I can only hand quilt in one direction, away from me. I watched Alex Anderson demo how she quilts with her thumb instead of her middle finger. I can't master that! Anyway, try lots of things til you find the one that works best for you and let us know what that is!!
Old 10-28-2016, 03:57 AM

I'm essentially self taught only watching my friend and quilting mentor for guidance. I've made several adjustments over the years to find my style/comfort level.

I use Roxanne needles - get them from Colonial Needle. Great price and customer service. I use whatever brand of hand quilting thread is the color I want for a given project. I use a Thimblelady stainless steel thimble on the middle finger of my right hand. I tried her plastic one first to check for size and comfort. I find them so much better than a closed thimble. They are open-ended and you push with the pad of your finger. Nice deep dimples to hold the needle more securely. I have used her needles as well but find I like the shorter Roxanne needles better. I generally use a size 11 between.

I have a round hoop that I normally use - in my lap. I sit in my comfy chair and off I go. I do have a highly adjustable halogen light on the table next to me to be able to better see my work. Generally I pin-baste but I've migrated to thread-basting larger (queen/king) size. Reduces the weight of the quilt considerably. I also have the quilt quite loose in the hoop. Like in the Thimblelady recommendations, this way you tend to rock the quilt vs your hand thus reducing the stress/pain in your wrist.

I've seen it recommended to have a scrap sandwich to get your rhythm going first before starting to work on your actual quilt. This reduces the chance of those initial larger stitches. I've never bothered and like a previous poster, just let them be and blend into the rest of the quilt. But you may want to start with that since this is a new endeavor for you.

I also use a rubber fingertip on the index finger of my right hand to help with pulling the loaded needle through the quilt. I use nothing on my under finger(s). I just develop a callous after a while.

Just remember a) there are no quilt police; b) relax and enjoy; c) this is not a race! Have fun!
Old 10-28-2016, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnV...pgyGRt6zKpteYw Making your own quilting frame. You can prop this anywhere.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:13 AM

Google hoopless hand quilting, my favorite!!
Old 10-29-2016, 10:23 AM

I would use the Hinterberg frame. I also use Aunt Becky's tool under the top to get small, even stitches. Use a small needle, either a 10 or 11, or a size that suits you. I like John James needles, though many of my friends like Roxanne needles. You will have to try them out and decide.