Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hand Quilting stencils/designs

Hand Quilting stencils/designs

Every quilt I've made so far has been hand quilted, stitching around each block in the quilt top. Now I'm wondering if any of you have drawn stencils or designs on the quilt top and stitched only those designs rather than sewing around each piece in the quilt top. I hope I'm making myself clear about what I'm asking. With these stencil designs it would seem to make the quilt top much more distinctive than just around each individual piece. Any suggestions?

Banned
    I use a lot of stencils, some I made and some I get here:

https://quiltingcreations.com/default.asp?

I hand quilt most of my quilts. I have used a combination of drawing my own designs on the blocks or using stencils. Here's two pictures of what I have done with my quilts. One picture is of a free hand border design and the other was done using a stencil.

Name:  border quilting.JPG
Views: 1265
Size:  348.6 KB

Name:  quilting close up.JPG
Views: 1273
Size:  139.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I hand quilt most of my quilts. I have used a combination of drawing my own designs on the blocks or using stencils. Here's two pictures of what I have done with my quilts. One picture is of a free hand border design and the other was done using a stencil.

Name:  border quilting.JPG
Views: 1265
Size:  348.6 KB

Name:  quilting close up.JPG
Views: 1273
Size:  139.0 KB
    So pretty. I knew there was an answer to my problem. Best ladies ever on this quilting board!

Quote Originally Posted by popover View Post
    I use a lot of stencils, some I made and some I get here:

https://quiltingcreations.com/default.asp?
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be ordering some stencils for my next quilt.

If it' s overall patchwork, an allover design , like baptist fan can add a lovely texture. Easier to mark and quilt from the back, though. If you have plain setting blocks , especially in a solid ( or near solid) fabric, then you can use stencil, or trace before sandwiching, any design you feel would enhance the quilt. I love doing feather wreaths...and in plain borders, a twisted cable.

I use all kinds of things and I enjoy being different. I made a Tumbler once that I named "Iced Tea Anyone?" And I quilted it with shapes of pitchers and slices of lemon. I've found so many inspirations in kids coloring pages.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I bought a book, 501 Quilt Designs ( I think that's the name). Has a lot of designs and alternate ways to use them. There's 2 volumes.

Blog Entries
    i always use stencils in my quilts. I also hand quilt, and enjoy the different designs available.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

[QUOTE=lynnie;7844723]i always use stencils in my quilts. I also hand quilt, and enjoy the different designs available.[/QUOTEThanks, where do you get your stencils.

I also use a lot of stencils and also from Quilting Creations.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

What do you use to mark them? Thank you to everyone for your ideas and pictures.

I, too, use lots of stencils. I've purchased all of mine in person at various places - quilt shows; Lancaster shops; JAF; LQS. I use a Bohin white 'lead' mechanical pencil on dark fabrics and usually just a #2 mechanical pencil for light fabrics. I do want to pick up some other colors of the Bohin leads but haven't made it to the further LQS that I know sells them. But I would highly recommend their products.

Sync, your NT applique and hand quilting is to die for.... I want to be you when I grow up!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I use a lot of stencils. Some I buy and some I have made from a plastic sheet. I have the 501 book and have taken some pattern from there. I like straight lines. I use a mechanical pencil and sometimes chalk for a chalkboard. I am going to look for a Bohin pencil. If I am making a scrap quilt with 2-1/2 squares I will just either x the squares or cross it. I like simple and easy.

Sync - you do very nice hand quilting. I do some hand quilting also and I like the soft feel of hand quilted quilts.

I have used stencils that I've purchased as well as just tracing around things I have lying around. Right now I'm quilting a baby quilt and tracing around spools and a can. I've used cookie cutters, a dog biscuit and just drawn wavy lines free hand. There's no limit.

I have done stencils on the whole quilt but you have to have enough density of quilting to follow the directions on your batting and not just focus on the pattern of the lovely stencil.

I use stencils a lot to quilt with. For dark fabrics I like the Clover white marking pen or white chalk wheel & for other colors of fabric I use the Frixion erasable pens or the Crayola Washable Markers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    What do you use to mark them? Thank you to everyone for your ideas and pictures.
    Mostly Crayola Ultra-clean washable markers. Sometimes a blue quilters pen. For darks, I have a Clover white pen.

Blog Entries
    I use stencils, mostly of my own designs. Popover's link is one I will get inspiration from!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

teddysmom, I have found stencils in a few places, the one I use most is http://www.quiltingstencils.com/ and another place I frequent is http://www.quiltmaker.com/index.html Go to the freebie tab, click, and find the motif of the month. I check there once in a while and save the pdf file to my computer. Now I have a folder on my computer that has a whole lot of quilting motifs to use.

I use them mostly where there are large blank spaces. I have a bunch but had to buy one recently for this quilt. It was a larger stencil but I used just part of it for what I wanted. It was that rectangular space that was hard to fill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use stencils for my hand quilting.

Thank you all for your responses about marking tools. Every time I read a thread about hand quilting, I'm reminded of how much I enjoy it. I really, really should follow your examples and start a quilt just so I can hand Quilt it. Thanks also for the links.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast