Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: hand quilting stitches, etc. etc.

This is a close up of some of mine. This is batik with a cotton batting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, I am just a beginner too, and your beginning stitches look better than my beginning stitches did. ;)

I have thimble issues too. It took me quite a while to get the hang of using a thimble, and my fingers are too large for a small thimble and too narrow for a medium thimble. I don't want to keep buying thimbles I can't use, so I make do with the small because at least it doesn't rattle around on my finger like the other one.

I like seeing everyone's hand quilting. This is exactly what I needed a couple weeks ago when I was stressing out about my stitches.

The first pic here is from my first day of hand quilting. The second is my most recent. Where the tape is is where I am currently working - the tape is to help me keep a straight line. The first row of stitches around the purple border is really large because I was using the squares on the gingham to try to make even stitches and not worry about size.

First Day of Hand Quilting
    Name:  Attachment-115091.jpe
Views: 75
Size:  59.2 KB

Most recent stitches
    Name:  Attachment-115098.jpe
Views: 68
Size:  65.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    Janet your quilting is spectacular! You have been holding out, I don't recall ever seeing a pic of your hand quilting. Just lovely!

Breathtaking, Janet! And a beautiful design...thank you for sharing!

:)

Blog Entries
    Wow! I am bookmarking this topic Trina! BTW your quilting is just lovely! I too am starting handquilting (top) and I am having a hard time with using a hoop and I know I need to! I too have the quilt stand that dpparris is using. I've not used it yet either! I really need a class I think! And a thimble and me are enemies! I cannot keep one on my middle finger .. I hope to find one that really fits one day! :)

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Janet your quilting is spectacular! You have been holding out, I don't recall ever seeing a pic of your hand quilting. Just lovely!
    Awww, thanks, FF. I haven't posted a close up, but I have posted a full view of this quilt...it's the one in my avatar.

Quilting makes me happy, and hand quilting makes me even happier.

Janet

Thanks, Andrea - we definitely have a mutual admiration society thing going!

Janet

Quilting makes me happy, and hand quilting makes me even happier.

Janet
    Ditto!
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks, Andrea - we definitely have a mutual admiration society thing going!

Janet
    Yes! But this is wonderful, isn't it?
    :wink: :)

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
    These pictures were actually my first attempt at hand quilting.
    Trina, your first attempts look a whole lot better than mine...which were done long before digital cameras!

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    Breathtaking, Janet! And a beautiful design...thank you for sharing!

:)
    Amen to that!! I'm sitting here drooling on my keyboard over the talent on this board. :thumbup:

wow, I'm really not a good hand-quilter.

I'm working on a king-size quilt right now and my stitches are nothing like yours. But my daughter insisted, they are my work and that is what counts to her. But someday I will be better, I just hope I can stay consistent throughout the quilt so that it looks uniform. I'm not planning on hand-quilting anything this big again, ever! Maybe wall hangings in the future. I'll pay to have the big ones quilted.

Quote Originally Posted by inemmausinn
    wow, I'm really not a good hand-quilter.
    Don't shortchange yourself - I'm sure what you're doing is fine. I've been hand quilting for over 20 years now.

Janet

Blog Entries
    I think you discovered the key good needles are soo important, less bending & breaking. Thimbles take getting used to, but will also hhelp to get a smaller stitch they help push the needle back upp with minimal fabric. Stitches should be what is good for you throughout the quilt, don't worry about #per inch. Most important is.enjoy the process

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    Wow! I am bookmarking this topic Trina! BTW your quilting is just lovely! I too am starting handquilting (top) and I am having a hard time with using a hoop and I know I need to! I too have the quilt stand that dpparris is using. I've not used it yet either! I really need a class I think! And a thimble and me are enemies! I cannot keep one on my middle finger .. I hope to find one that really fits one day! :)
    I remember a superb handquilter at QBL who did not use a hoop; just moved the quilt around on her lap. Try quilting without one and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    Well, I am just a beginner too, and your beginning stitches look better than my beginning stitches did. ;)

I have thimble issues too. It took me quite a while to get the hang of using a thimble, and my fingers are too large for a small thimble and too narrow for a medium thimble. I don't want to keep buying thimbles I can't use, so I make do with the small because at least it doesn't rattle around on my finger like the other one.

I like seeing everyone's hand quilting. This is exactly what I needed a couple weeks ago when I was stressing out about my stitches.

The first pic here is from my first day of hand quilting. The second is my most recent. Where the tape is is where I am currently working - the tape is to help me keep a straight line. The first row of stitches around the purple border is really large because I was using the squares on the gingham to try to make even stitches and not worry about size.
    Hey Butterflyblue, I just wanted to say I think you're doing a GREAT job and definitely improving! Keep up the great work. :thumbup:

I am 61 yrs young and I am going to start hand quilting on a small project. Thanks for all the pictures and comments! I am going to go buy some quilting needles...

I have very large hands. Large and extra large thimbles are available....especially in the good quilt shops. You may have to pay 8-10 dollars for a good one but it is worth it.................My first "good thimble" cost me 5 dollars about 25 years ago or so....I took good care of it and it finally wore out but it is still the best fitting thimble....sure wish I could have it redipped to restore it.

Hi, When I started quilting I was told my teacher that getting them even in length was the important issue. Once I had even stitching then to aim for smaller stitches. It is perfectly acceptable to use big stitches (as long as they are even :thumbup: ).

Hope that helps.

Blog Entries
    I use the Roxann thimble it is a little pricey but I found it to be the best and believe me I have tried them all

community benefactor
    I do mostly hand quilting, too, but still consider myself a novice at quilting. My question is - what's the best way to handle/turn the fabric to do designs that are not "in a straight line" or that require all kinds of turns? I've tried using the round quilt stands but it feels awkward and bulky to me. Maybe I'm expecting too much to be able to hand quilt in a "flowing" manner!

Quote Originally Posted by gwparrish97
    My question is - what's the best way to handle/turn the fabric to do designs that are not "in a straight line" or that require all kinds of turns? I've tried using the round quilt stands but it feels awkward and bulky to me. Maybe I'm expecting too much to be able to hand quilt in a "flowing" manner!
    Welcome to the board!

I don't know what kind of stand you have, but it sounds like it doesn't rotate. Rotating the hoop means you can always quilt towards yourself, making curves easier. Some quilters are happiest without a hoop.

I quilt in a floor frame, so I taught myself to use my thumb to quilt away from myself. I can pretty much quilt in any direction, although there are still a few odd angles.

Janet

I use a rotating floor stand or a Q snap frame. Curves are done the same as straight line quilting except limit your number of stitches on your needle to three or four max.

Blog Entries
    I used to do HQ but once the longarmers got going I sent them off so I could make more tops. I never used a frame or hoop as I prefer the running stitch and drape the quilt over a small table with adjustable height and a heavy object to the side to help with the tension. Hollis has designed and sold some beautiful wholecloth tops. Tried to take a picture of my black on black quilting and white on white quilting but neither one shows up!

At the aspiring point of perfecting the hand stitching, just trying to enjoy it but a perfect shade of lite blue on a shimmmering cream color is what I'm thinking of doing

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast