Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: hand quilting stitches, etc. etc.

I like a leather thimble with a metal plate in it. It seems to mold to my finger and I don't feel like I'm even wearing a timble. I cannot hand quilt on a frame, but I think that's unusual.
    Attached Images Attached Images

here are some pic's of mine, I think the most important thing is to have the stitches even I have never been concerned with how many there are per inch.
    I also have never been able to use a thimble I have tried several and always end up removing it and using my fingernail and the tip on my finger when my finger gets to sore I have to take a day off and let it heal. Super glue works will on the tip on your finger it makes the skin a little tougher, it also works for closing those little cracks I get on the edges of my nails.

original design
    Name:  Attachment-141688.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  58.7 KB

double wedding ring
    Name:  Attachment-141689.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  43.8 KB

Aim for consistency. People say the stitches get smaller as you gain practice. Mine have never been really tiny but I try to be consistent in size. :thumbup:

I hand quilt and I just hand quilt what is comfortable for me. I don't count stitches per inch, if I did I would go crazy. I think it is all in who is hand quilting. I just like the way it looks and what it gives to a quilt.

Blog Entries
    I am just learning and I just try to do it so I like it and often have to take it out and go back and try again. It would have been easy to just say forget it but I really wanted to do it so much. :)

I love to hand quilt becasue it gives me a break from my machine and allows me to spend time with family but traditional style gives my wrist fits so I use a running backstitch. I have also combined hand and FMQ. I figure the quilt police have better things to look at and if I like it, who cares?

Banned
    Which preprinted wholecloth did you get and where did you get it. describe it to me and then I will be able to discuss the washability.

WOW your quilting is perfect! Did you use a template for that swirl and floral? I just stitch along seams, and am thinking about doing something circular like yours. NICE job.

I have often heard that starting out with hand quilting, try to make your stitches all the same size. Then slowly start coming down in size till you get just what you want. Takes practice and time, but it works

I have often heard that starting out with hand quilting, try to make your stitches all the same size. Then slowly start coming down in size till you get just what you want. Takes practice and time, but it works

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4