Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting stitches, etc. etc. >

hand quilting stitches, etc. etc.

hand quilting stitches, etc. etc.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 AM

I forgot to tell you all one important thing. I wear a finger cot on the index finger of my right hand. This helps to pull the needle out.
Finger cots can be bought at quilt stores for tons of money but you can buy a box at a medical supply store for about $2.00. Wal Mart and drug stores also sell them in small quantities....best to try their for the sizing.
Long ago, finger cots were used by nurses, to insert suppositories.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 AM

Even spaced is more important than tiny stiches at this stage.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:39 AM

I use one of the rubber finger covers that you use to free motion quilt that helps grip the cloth. They are big on me so I wrap tape around tightly several times to hold it on and to make it more resilient to the needle. I am like you, I can't do a thimble either and I ruined my fingernail with the needle.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:39 PM

the short quilting needles are easier for me to use a thimble and make short stitches too. I did not learn to use a thimble till I started quilting. Keep trying to use a thimble..You will be glad you did. Also long fingenails were a hindrance to using a thimble. Hope this helps. AnnieMae
Old 02-10-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Baloonatic
The important thing about hand quilting is to keep your stitches even. It isn't important how tiny they are, unless they become toe-catchers!
I use my index fingernail to quilt toward me, and my thumbnail to quilt to the right and away from me. My thimble gets used when stitching to the left. Yep, I wear holes in my nails a lot. I've also worn holes in two thimbles, boy what a surprise that is when the needle suddenly stabs you!
Regarding preprinted panels, test a few small areas with a damp towel to see if the marks disappear when you first receive it. If they do, you can remark the lines with a disappearing marker after the areas air-dry. Do NOT use a hair dryer!
I SO admire those tiny hand quilted stitches made by some. And I've seen some handwork that looks just like machine stitching...but where is the point in that?? I'm happy with my 10-to-the-inch
10 to the inch--Is that 10 on top only or 10 on both top and bottom together. "The Perfect Stitch" book states that 8 is average, 9 is good and 10 is outstanding--top only.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Am I supposed to be aiming for a stitch that looks like machine stitching, or is my 'goal' the smaller the better? Seems like the smaller the stitching, the more space between them.

I also ordered a small wholecloth panel that I'm planning on using as the centerpiece of a queen-sized quilt, and I'm looking forward to planning an original design. Does anyone know about these pre-printed panels? Will the markings just wash off in water? I also already received some wool batting for the quilt, and am excited to see how it will needle. Trina
I was taught that with hand quilting the goal is to have even stitches, 8-10 per inch if I could evenly get them that small, with the space between the stitches the same as the length of the stitches or smaller. I am a stabber when I hand quilt, not a rocker, so that is not too difficult to achieve, just time consuming.

With the pre-printed panel...do not iron it until you have quilted it because you will set the ink and it will never go away. Also, do not leave it for terribly long or the lines will not go away - my MIL had me quilt a cross-stitch whole cloth queen size quilt that she was supposed to hand quilt and the quilting lines would not go away. The top was about 20 years old when she gave it to me and I had to quilt it with blue thread to try to hide the blue lines.

You will love the way the wool needles! That's the only batting I will hand quilt with, but I know that others use cotton or poly and like them as well.

Sounds like you are having fun!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 PM

I was taught that the most important thing is stitch length consistancy, either short or long - just be consistant. Practice, practice, shorter stitches will come with practice. Kim Diehl in her books even teaches the big stitch. Quit counting, takes the enjoyment out of it.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:26 PM

I have a really tough time controlling my stitches with a thimble! I use one hand on top to stitch and the other to feel when I've gone through. Is this correct? I've never had anyone seriously teach me. I've just read books and tried.

I don't wear holes in my nails. I dig a tunnel in my nail bed. Yes, it can be painful.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Am I supposed to be aiming for a stitch that looks like machine stitching, or is my 'goal' the smaller the better? Seems like the smaller the stitching, the more space between them.

I also ordered a small wholecloth panel that I'm planning on using as the centerpiece of a queen-sized quilt, and I'm looking forward to planning an original design. Does anyone know about these pre-printed panels? Will the markings just wash off in water? I also already received some wool batting for the quilt, and am excited to see how it will needle. Trina
I was taught that with hand quilting the goal is to have even stitches, 8-10 per inch if I could evenly get them that small, with the space between the stitches the same as the length of the stitches or smaller. I am a stabber when I hand quilt, not a rocker, so that is not too difficult to achieve, just time consuming.

With the pre-printed panel...do not iron it until you have quilted it because you will set the ink and it will never go away. Also, do not leave it for terribly long or the lines will not go away - my MIL had me quilt a cross-stitch whole cloth queen size quilt that she was supposed to hand quilt and the quilting lines would not go away. The top was about 20 years old when she gave it to me and I had to quilt it with blue thread to try to hide the blue lines.

You will love the way the wool needles! That's the only batting I will hand quilt with, but I know that others use cotton or poly and like them as well.

Sounds like you are having fun!!!
Wool?!? Where can you find wool batting? My DH has introduced me to wool socks and coats for warmth. I'm very interested in how warm it keeps you and how it is for cleaning.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:05 PM

[quote=redbugsullivanWool?!? Where can you find wool batting? My DH has introduced me to wool socks and coats for warmth. I'm very interested in how warm it keeps you and how it is for cleaning.[/quote]

Wool batting is readily available here - Quilter's Dream, Hobbs and Warm & Natural all make a wool batting and Hobbs makes a wool blend. Wool does shrink more then cotton so when I use it I wash the batting - put in the washing machine with hot water, let it sit then spin the water out, throw it in the dryer for 10-15 minutes and all the shrinkage is done. If you don't pre-shrink it, it produces a lovely old-timey crinkled look to the quilt.