Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting. >

hand quilting.

hand quilting.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:25 AM

Just finished hand-quilting a whole cloth quilt. Took me almost a year. You know what? I didn't mind that it took so long, in fact it was kind of sad when I realized it was finished. Enjoyed every stitch....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]442598[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]442599[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3890.jpg   img_3898.jpg  
Old 10-22-2013, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Doesn't matter how fast you go. If you do it right the first time and don't have to go back. Maybe you should look at some of the videos on YouTube. Alex Andersen has a video of a guest who handquilts and has a lot of tips and tricks. Just a thought. I ordered an Aunt Becky to help guide under one of mine. Not sure about ordering the one thimble that costs abut $60 though. Would have to insure it. Which on a short note. We have our renter's insurance cover my sewing machine and I keep receipts for material.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

That is gorgeous!
Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
Just finished hand-quilting a whole cloth quilt. Took me almost a year. You know what? I didn't mind that it took so long, in fact it was kind of sad when I realized it was finished. Enjoyed every stitch....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]442598[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]442599[/ATTACH]
Old 10-22-2013, 11:49 AM

Thanks Tessagin.
This was also my first time to do prairie points... won't be my last.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:06 PM

I can't think of "fast" and "hand quilting" in the same sentence. I've progressed from glacial speed to extremely slow, and that might be it for me. One idea I read was to start with a length of thread a yard long and pull it in half way to quilt a line. That leaves the other 18 inches hanging that you thread on your needle and quilt the another way. That saves the time it takes to make and bury beginning knots.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:05 PM

I think hand quilting is awesome and wish I had the patience required to do hand work. You will have a master piece when your quilt is finished.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:36 AM

I hand quilt and love every minute of it. I put my quilts in the large old fashion frame to begin with and baste each block separate. Then I take it out of the frame and quilt it in a 14 inch hoop in my lap. I enjoy this process, it is therapy, don't think about the time it takes, enjoy every minute and think of the heirlooms that you make. Just enjoy and keep this tradition alive. To me machine quilting is work, hand quilting is a pleasure.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
As a person who is also a relentless self-recriminator I understand completely. When will we learn to ease up on ourselves!
My answer for this tendency is to pretend that you are supporting your best friend as she works thru the handquilting on a project...we all treat our best friends with more patience and support than we treat ourselves.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:16 AM

I too love to hand quilt. Something about setting in my rocking chair at the end of a long day teaching, sipping on a hot cup of tea, TV in the background, and my quilt in a hoop on my lap warming me up, is just plain blissful. I've learned to stab stitch using both hands and it goes relatively quick for me. I can do about 12 inches of stitching in about 18 minutes, so I know how much to draw on the quilt to finish in an evening. It doesn't bother me that it takes a while to hand quilt because that is why I'm hand quilting it - I want to relax and slow down. The lap quilt I'm hand quilting right now is about half done and I started working on it in September.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:43 PM

I have to agree with so many of the others.. I really enjoy hand quilting. On the couch with the TV on. There is something about watching football and quilting... I can't watch football without sewing That being said, if I have a project that has a time frame, I won't hand quilt. It just stresses me out. So I use my machine on some and hand quilt those that I have time to do so. I find it relaxing