Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting >

Hand quilting

Hand quilting

Old 10-11-2018, 06:30 AM

I'm hand quilting one now for someone who bought it at an estate sale. It is OLD; hand pieced hexies. I bought the quilting needles; but because they are SO short I can't handle them well. So I'm using a longer needle and an Aunt Becky. I don't work well with a thimble either; I use a big one on my thumb to push the needle when going up then when going from r-l or down, then I use one on my index finger but have to ditch it to pull the needle out; so a constant taking the thimble off and on. Never could get the hang of working all the way through with it on. Haven't hand quilted for over 30 years, so it's taken a while to get a rhythm going, but am getting there. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:19 PM

I discovered Roxanne needles---they are a bit expensive but I absolutely love them. I use #9 betweens Large Eye needles so they are easier to thread. I used to quilt with Warm and Natural (did not know how difficult this batting was to hand quilt through until I switched to a wool batting). Wool batting is like quilting through butter....WONDERFUL and easy on one's hands.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:05 AM

This is so much about personal preference.

I use milliners needles (also called straw needles). I despise using betweens. Despise them.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:10 PM

I am attempting to upload a photo keeps failing. Could it be because I am using an iPad
Old 10-20-2018, 11:15 AM

Default Picture

Queen size
Attached Thumbnails dscn3028.jpg  
Old 10-20-2018, 02:49 PM

Your quilt is lovely. I would probably go with 'regular' hand quilting (vs big stitch) but that is generally my preference. But you could easily do 'big stitch'. It's truly a personal preference.

And I normally use Warm & Natural batting. I've quilted it for years with no issues. That said, I just finished up quilting a quilt for a friend of mine who uses Quilter's Dream 100% cotton batting. Definitely nicer to quilt through and has a better 'drape' right from the start. When I finish up my bolt of W&N that is the batting I to which I will switch.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:05 PM

Betweens are too short for me to handle. I use John James "sharps" size 11. They are long, thin, and small eyes. I use waxed hand quilting thread made by YLI. I also use a very thin batting to hand quilt: "Quilters Dream" size: Request, 100% cotton.

Your quilt is made of bold bright colors, it could easily handle the big-stitch look with pearl cotton.

No matter which stitch you choose, do not skimp on the cost of very very thin batting that is easy to hand needle. The wrong batting will make your life difficult with every stitch.......
Old 10-28-2018, 12:38 PM

Thank you everyone