Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting >

Hand quilting

Hand quilting

Old 01-23-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ImSvd1
Doesn't anyone do hand quilting any more? the machine quilting is beautiful and I'm sure that it goes really fast. I've even done some machine quilting, mostly baby quilts that will need lots of washing. But to me there is something to be said about the love that goes into hand quilting. Just wondering... Sheryl
I was taught from the beginning to finish my quilt by hand-quilting it. The machine quilting way is fine, but it is just not the way I enjoy to work on a quilt.My grandma told me that whatever way I made a quilt to always put good thoughts into it and do it with love.Each person has their own way of making and finishing a quilt,and that's why I personally think quilt-making will always be around.I was bored the other night and traced quilt-making back to the Vikings with fur skins. So quilters have been around that long, and maybe longer.I got hungry and stopped tracing. If you want to look it up just go to: www.historyofquiltmaking.com
Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 PM

I like to do both It is harder to do now because I have difficult time threading needles and the easy thread needles tend to make my thread break so machine quilting is easier for me now.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:15 PM

I only hand quilt. It was the way I learned, I haven't gotten the knack for quilting on the machine.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 PM

Your quilting is beautiful! The kitties are the perrrrrfect touch :lol:
I hand quilt most of the time,and usually finish my quilts by machine.
Stephanie Clark
Old 01-23-2011, 08:02 PM

I hand quilt. I've only made two quilts so far and they are both hand quilted. I timed how long it took for me to do one 16" square and it took me 6 hours for the one square alone. There are 25 16" squares. The squares are all quilted, but I haven't worked on the borders yet. I haven't decided what design I want to do, but it will be hand quilted no matter what I decide. I admire the beauty of the designs in machine quilting.....just not interested in quilting by machine for myself.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:16 PM

I find it is best not to time myself. I don't even look to see how much I have left to do until I feel I am REALLY getting close to being finished. It just takes a long time, so enjoy what you are doing while you are doing it.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:37 PM

I do some handquilting but as my hands age it is getting more difficult. :-)
Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 PM

I hand quilt and up until a year or two ago, I hand pieced. I still do hand piecing on some difficult patterns. all the piecing except for the long seams on my avitar are hand pieced.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:57 PM

oh yes, I hand quilt.. I love to hand quilt. I don't always quilt by hand, I probably do more machine quilting than hand quilting. I am in the process of hand quilting all the quilt tops I have from my grandmother, and I also have one in line that was pieced by my MIL... Those all deserve to be hand quilted, they are very special.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by grammysharon
I do some handquilting but as my hands age it is getting more difficult. :-)

I have MS and my neurologist told me that my handquilting was helping to keep the muscles in my arms and hands from drawing up. So I guess my love of handquilting is good for my health as well as my heart.